Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A way to keep Necromancers to a minimum?  (Read 1061 times)

srifenbyxp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A way to keep Necromancers to a minimum?
« on: February 29, 2020, 12:35:06 pm »

So after generating multiple worlds (and a lot of crashes) I gave in and noticed that my world has far - FAR too many necromancer towers. I counted at least over 50 and sure enough, the entire game for the past 4 real-world days has been nothing but atom smashing. In the past, I didn't mind the 4 or 5 towers that I could raid but just so many undead, all of my sieges have only been undead attacks. In advance world gen I even put the secret types to 1 and the necromancer population just kept exploding into large numbers.

So questions in the topic, how do I reliably keep necromancers to a minimum? I rather not set them to 0 at game start.

Sennar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: A way to keep Necromancers to a minimum?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 04:41:52 pm »

For how long do you let your world gen before you use it? Maybe you let it run for so long that they just spread so much, I usually have the secret number at like 10 and I barely ever get more than 3 towers in like 200-300 years.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 05:22:44 pm »

You could swap pantheon for regional force for either humans or dwarves, and remove max age from both to ensure only animal people can become necros.

Old advice to force necros was to make wars happen through more civs, so going to the opposite direction (few civs with no contact with each other) should help.

fehtuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 02:55:21 am »

I've been experementing a lot with this lately as I'm sick of worlds dying by year 250 but I think it's just the nature of this update.

Secret number doesn't appear to make much difference. I've genned medium worlds with 1 secret type and still resulted in dozens of towers and hundreds of necromancers. The best way to limit them I've found is fewer Civs(so they're stronger and more likely to destroy towers) and shorter worldgens (so strong towers have less time to snowball).

It's weird how necromancers are now the main threat. Most worlds I gen now have <500 Gobs.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 04:00:20 am »

I've been experementing a lot with this lately as I'm sick of worlds dying by year 250 but I think it's just the nature of this update.

Secret number doesn't appear to make much difference. I've genned medium worlds with 1 secret type and still resulted in dozens of towers and hundreds of necromancers. The best way to limit them I've found is fewer Civs(so they're stronger and more likely to destroy towers) and shorter worldgens (so strong towers have less time to snowball).

It's weird how necromancers are now the main threat. Most worlds I gen now have <500 Gobs.
As Toady said in Fotf, necromancers are the main threat by design right now and will eventually take over most worlds. 200 years is way too short though, yes.

I'm going to analyze what it is about my own worlds that's preventing this from happening as it'll probably be helpful to someone on one of these threads. I'm having a hard time getting any reasonable number of towers in my worlds.

(It's not the number of wars. I have so many wars. Generally that's why my towers all die).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:02:16 am by Shonai_Dweller »