Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Humans or Elves civilizations on embark map.  (Read 991 times)

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Humans or Elves civilizations on embark map.
« on: August 14, 2017, 03:43:42 pm »

I generated several worlds with the intent of starting a fort.  Every time I generate a world I have the same problem.  There are never any Elf or Human civilizations to interact with anywhere on the map.  I have no idea how to rectify this problem.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
Re: No Humans or Elves civilizations on embark map.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 04:01:14 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:World_generation
See number of civilizations.

Elves need forest (normal, savage or good)
Humans need water (neutral rivers, coast)

Somebody can help you better if you put the exact generation parameters.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:42:46 pm by Luriant »
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:39:23 pm »

Humans don't need water, but they like it a lot.

Humans settle on unsavage plains (and can convert forests to plains to settle on sometimes iirc).

To not have any human or elven civilizations...It is possible that your word is too cold (wholly glacier/tundra), too arid (wholly deserts), entirely a swamp or too savage (though even then, if you leave it as only possible option humans can be placed in savagery 100 area - and then send next two thousand years doing nothing but trying to survive at best).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:44:27 pm by Fleeting Frames »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 01:59:08 am »

There are two distinct problems, and your question is not clear enough to say which one you have.
- The first one is that the world generation parameters are such that there is nowhere to place these civs, as mentioned above.
- The second one is that they were placed but quickly wiped out. Generating world with a large number of titans and megabeasts have a tendency to kill off a lot of civs, for instance, and goblins are quite good at wiping out other civs, and humans frequently commit genocide against elves as well (and occasionally beat the goblins).
- The third one (out of two...) is that they are present, but you just embark blindly in locations out of reach of their civs. Ciiv contact range is about 30 world tiles (pathing distance, so a mountain range can cut contact if the route around the mountains is too long, and oceans cut contact as well). On the pre embark screen you can use the <TAB> key to switch between different views, where one view shows which neighbors are available at the current embark rectangle location.
- The fourth one (...) is that you base the conclusion on the other civs being absent from the civ screen post embark. This screen is filled in with civs you get "proper" contact with as it happens (visitors don't count), i.e. goblins are added once they besiege you, kobolds when they try to steal from you, and elves and humies as their first caravans show up (and that can be delayed for various reasons, in particular sieges).