Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: post op recovery  (Read 8570 times)

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
post op recovery
« on: August 11, 2017, 03:32:43 pm »

I just got back from an inguinzl hernia repair operation.

So far, still numb as can be from general anesthetic, local anesthetic, and pain killers. First time it hasn't hurt since it happened.

Ice packs and elevation, somewhat preemptively, for the inevitable and unenviable swelling.  Rather, that's what I'm worried about, especially in a very ... tender anatomical area.

To avoid the swelling and bruising, I'm elevating my legs just a bit on a pillow, as well as.... it (I'm just speaking medically) with a washcloth that sometimes holds a gel icepack.

My understanding is the reason that can swell up after a surgery, is that fluid finds its lowest point... I'm hoping if it's at least a little elevated, that won't be as much?

I'm hoping this goes well. Thank you.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: post op recovery
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 04:21:22 pm »

local is wearing off o god.... moved my leg, felt dizzy and nausous. like a knife

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:42:20 pm »

Keep close to something that can take your weight if you decide to move around much. Good luck and try and keep your mind off things (unless a doctor/other medical professional has told you to keep an eye on something).
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 04:52:21 pm »

Thank you.

Jesus, is it supposed to feel like stabbing with slight movement?

Called nurse. She said IBprophen until my scheduled opiod dose: I believe hydrocodone? Not sure.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:14:09 pm by Transcendant »

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 11:13:37 pm »

Wow, I guess some blood may come from the incision on an inguinal hernia repair (open not laproscopic.... Same thing with pretty bad pain from the incision cite.

I can't walk so much as kinda shuffle while keeping all weight on one foot. Called the surgeon's office, got the answering service, and a call back for pain, bleeding, and surgery question....

She said this is more common than I might think and that it may actually be worse tomorrow. She also noted I could either take pain meds every 4 hours instead of every 6 or just take 2 every 6 hours. If things get bad, then use ER.... Very surprised actually. I get that it's outpatient (they want everything to be), but I just called about this, witch I was supposed to call about.... "The first few days are bad and may be worse tomorrow." Wow.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:18:25 pm by Transcendant »

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 12:03:02 am »

My goodness I hope you recover well. This isn't doctoral advice or anything, but I would make sure to drink lots of water to help with recovery, I know that whenever I've been hurt bad the extra water helps me not only recover quicker, but also helps my spirits a bit.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 08:12:00 am »

My goodness I hope you recover well. This isn't doctoral advice or anything, but I would make sure to drink lots of water to help with recovery, I know that whenever I've been hurt bad the extra water helps me not only recover quicker, but also helps my spirits a bit.

I really do appreciate that a lot thank you.

Walking somewhat improved now with cane, but we'll just say ... digestion incomplete.... This is an issue. Thankfully no "personal anatomy" swelling due to liberal ice application. That is a legit worry though.

You guys really ... use proper lifting mechanics.... You really want to trust me on this one. I didn't do anything wrong and still .... Would've been worse if I hadn't.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 04:53:11 pm »

You guys really ... use proper lifting mechanics.... You really want to trust me on this one. I didn't do anything wrong and still .... Would've been worse if I hadn't.

I stretch for 5 minutes at least before I work out. Proper form is all. Strain injuries are bad enough, doing it on a machine or with weights is agony. As I get older I get less willing to do bar weights anymore. It's to the point my motivation can outstrip what my body is capable of these days.

Try and stay calm and think objectively about your pain and your post OP. I think we unconsciously assume surgery in today's age is some sort of super refined practice where healing is rapid. We're used to most things in the internet age happening fast and we unconsciously apply that to our bodies as well.

After my last surgery, sinus surgery, I was reminded it's essentially still butchery, just with sharper knives and cameras for them to see what they're doing. After my sinus surgery my nose bled for an entire day. (It was also outpatient.) Like, had to change a bandage under it every 3 hours because it was soaking through with blood. Called the hospital because it seemed to fit their description of "if it starts bleeding excessively." So I eventually went back to the ER.

So basically I understand anxiety in post op recovery and you just gotta give 'it' time whatever 'it' is. You're off your routine, trapped, in pain and your mind is totally in slow motion as you wait minute to minute to start feeling better. I'm not like....inherently inclined to trust doctors but in this case you just gotta have faith that your body is like everyone else's and the surgeons did their job correctly.

I'd use the "disruption test." If the results and recovery from your surgery, after the recommend true rest period, disrupts your daily life then call your doctor. Like if they said, stay in bed at least three days and you're having the same or worse problem walking after five days, that's disruption. My disruption test probably should have been if blood was leaking around my bandages and getting on my clothes, then it's "excessive."

Also remember the pain meds have side effects. Mostly notably constipation if they gave you high grade ones.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:00:59 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 04:56:13 pm »

For whatever it's worth, I wish you didn't have to go through that experience. Though, I'm glad you got medical care you needed (wish no one ever needed it).

As for me, Norco pain meds and yes, the side effect (being discrete). It's possible I did some incision ripping, but I'm not sure. Just a bit of blood through the bandage (it's on there pretty good and I'm not removing that thing). Overall, they said I may have overdone the recovery a bit; they're telling me to slow down some. That can happen.

People at work were well meaning, but ... there's a reason I'm taking some time off. I didn't want to talk about certain complications .... Partially because I'm embarrassed, want some decency, and also because I don't want to remember things like that.... Also I feel like saying to work people (if I could) guys what do you think you're doing? I'm high on prescription pain meds after a surgery. Really? This is a good time to call? I ... I don't really get it.

I really do appreciate the well wishing from you guys and the understanding. It's kind of insane how people don't want to believe people are injured, even after there's been an obvious operation, there's a scar, and let's not forget the doctor's bills (which I'm thankful I have insurance for, but still). It's like, guys, nobody wants a hernia. Intestinal surgery is ... not pleasant. People at work may mean well, but really ....
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:00:43 pm by Transcendant »

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 07:54:36 pm »

I know this is just a weird question to ask but.... I'm sorry to even ask but post surgically this is a thing.... What foods help prevent constipation?

I'm thinking lettuce, tomatoes (salad), applesauce, maybe hummus (I'm not sure anymore)?

(I googled it and came up with so much conflicting information)

Ideas? Please.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:58:34 pm by Transcendant »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 10:47:21 pm »

Coffee. Very, very strong coffee drank quickly.

Things with a lot of fiber in them will also help.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:10:01 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 02:07:16 am »

Its a common complication in abdominal surgery. Opiates dont help either,  but you probably knew that already as well.

Discuss with your surgeon the appropiatedness of laxatives of various sorts. He'll make a sane recommendation
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 02:50:52 am »

teaspoon of olive oil with each meal don't hurt either for helping you shit smoothly.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 12:42:57 pm »

Fiber in general helps.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 12:57:15 pm »

Thank you guys.

That was ... horrible. I appreciate your suggestions though.

If anyone else is unfortunate enough to go through this with abdominal surgery in the future:

Applesauce.
Raspberries.
Grapes (SEEDLESS!)
Oranges (precut and with every part of the peal off) This will provide vitamin C.

WATER. A fair deal of it.

Beans? (While providing fiber, they also create gas that actually builds up inside you; so in small doses).
Same goes for hummus. I'm not sure if this helped or hurt in the end.

Also still not sure the role milk of magnesia played here.

I am not a doctor so if you have questions about this sort of thing, please talk to a qualified physician. I don't think applesauce will hurt though.

Thank you all. Now to keep the wound clean etc.

P.S. I don't like the opiod side effect from the Norco 5/325. I'm trying to wean myself off the prescription narcotics, but that is admittedly hard.
I don't understand how anyone can abuse these things if people react to them like I did. I only take them because the pain is unworkable otherwise.
I'm trying to substitute Ibuprofen at 3 200 mg tablets a 3 or 4 times day instead of the narcotics. Hopefully that won't last too long because that much can mess you up (Dr. said it was ok for now and applauded wanting off the narcotics).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:07:37 pm by Transcendant »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5