Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: post op recovery  (Read 8584 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: post op recovery
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 01:43:32 pm »

I don't understand how anyone can abuse these things if people react to them like I did. I only take them because the pain is unworkable otherwise.
Because once someone's hooked on an opoid, the pain of not using it is much worse than the side effects of using.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 02:15:00 pm »

Yeah. Constipation might be bad but it's nothing like the withdrawal someone addicted to opiates experiences. I've heard it described as feeling like you're dying. Sweats, shakes, nausea, headaches, the works.

IB Profen is a decent substitute. May not tackle the pain as well but it does address inflammation (which is part of your pain.) The danger is it's hard on your liver if you take too much for too long....but we're talking like 800+ mg daily for weeks before that happens.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:16:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 02:50:42 pm »

Yeah, I just personally am weird and don't even drink so I ... addiction = not for me. I get it, but still.

Yeah, the ibuprofen at 2400 mg / day is high. Off Norco though. I specifically asked the nurse who said short term was ok, and better than opiods.
They are all about getting people off narcotics asap here. Again, addiction.... It's widespread.

Pain though, I mean eh. The nerve pain is a thing too. She says it'll go away with time, avoid blood clots, etc.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 03:21:35 pm »

You can usually safely combine ibuprofen with paracetamol, although in your case of post-op, I'd check with the doc to be sure.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 07:30:56 am »

Yeah, thank you. It just .... I don't know.

I'm trying not to use a ton of it, even though the nurse said it was fine. I need the pain relief and anti inflammatory.

I am really hoping the swelling stays down, I've been fortunate enough to be in bed (doing some light leg exercises to avoid blood clots) or walking around with a cane. Swelling / fluid build up gets worse when I walk ... the anatomy is very personal. Goes down with ice and vertical rest. I do have to go somewhere Friday though, so let's hope that won't throw the whole thing.

Frankly that part of me swelling if I stop icing the crap out of it scares me a lot.Standing would be more swelling.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:01:37 am by Transcendant »

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 09:36:40 pm »

The ... swelling ... seems to have largely gone down now.

Oddly the um ... high inside right leg area is giving me fits of pain. Warm water or ice packs.... It was incredibly stiff after surgery, now there's more pain as I get into and out of bed.

Not sure. Just hoping for improvement.

Thanks for the well wishing.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 04:18:28 pm »

Slowly getting better but that surgical scar is going to be with me forever.

The current issue I have with it, beyond the appearance, is the limited hip mobility. So, you know how there's a crease formed between your leg and your abdomen when you bend your leg forward at the hip? That scar is sort of becoming that crease a bit. Basically, it has formed a little valley and is kind of the path of least resistance. The other "crease" is still there, but this is acting as a second additional one. Point being, this originally put a ton of stress on the freshly healing incision. Now, it's not liking when I move my leg forward at the hip, or backwards too much either.

Hopefully there is a long term solution to regain my hip flexibility.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 06:17:08 pm »

Do they offer you any post-op revalidation at all?

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 07:51:33 pm »

That may be possible and I will have to check. Hopefully it will be unnecessary, as it has only been two weeks. Hopefully, it will heal and remain soft but become strong. Years and years ago, I broke my femur, had a rod surgically implanted, and then extracted after a year. This scar is now much softer. Hopefully, the new incision scar will eventually take after that one. I hope I do not need physical therapy to increase my range of motion.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 06:17:57 pm »

So, feeling a little better after all this time. My first two weeks were a nightmare. I've lost 20 pounds. Still some issues, but most things would be better than before.
My doctor says I'm recovering "in the middle of the bell curve" for this type of operation. Either he's wrong, or this is horrible. I can't be the only one who's gone through this.

I have questions about long term outcomes. I've heard a lot of horror stories.

Does this ever get completely back to normal, or is this a lifelong liability?

Will I eventually be able to lift things like before?
Will this effect my ability to do manual labor, long term?
If I can't avoid a fight somehow after a couple years, is this always going to be a limiting factor?
Am I basically going to have a permanent weak spot I need to avoid getting hit at?
Will strain or other issues be a factor forever?
Will the surgical incision site (open operation) ever feel normal, soften, and quit limiting mobility?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 07:32:00 pm »

Physical Therapy. I don't know if it applies to hernias but it sounds like you're a candidate for it.

But ya know, like I said I think we all tend to underestimate how long it takes adult bodies to heal. For example, back in winter I fell straight down on to my elbow and jacked it up something fierce, thought I'd broken it. It's taken 6 months for it to start to feel "normal" and for my range of motion to return *mostly* to where it was before I fell. I thought it'd take way less time than that. And it still pops and crackles when I rotate my wrist like it's stuffed full of cornflakes. Pretty crazy actually, people can hear it from across a room when I do it.

If you've lost that much weight you definitely need to compensate for the loss of muscle mass. The longer you let your limited mobility ride, the better chance the stiffness will become permanent.

So I'd at least go get a consult with a physical therapist and see what their take is. Ask your doctor is PT is appropriate for your injury. And be forewarned, PT will hurt.

My doctor says I'm recovering "in the middle of the bell curve" for this type of operation. Either he's wrong, or this is horrible. I can't be the only one who's gone through this.

It's probably just that horrible. My dad had both knees replaced within the last two years and his body is a fucking wreck even now because of it. Still gets periodic swelling, can't stand for a long time without pain, has to wear supports, the works. For a major surgery like your's, maybe a year of recovery will be in order. Maybe more? Just do you part and work to get your strength back, within safe tolerance levels.

If I can't avoid a fight somehow after a couple years, is this always going to be a limiting factor?

Do you....get in to fights often? That's just kind of a weirdly specific question related to post-op.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:38:00 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 07:39:44 pm »

I didn't really catch what your ailment was....
Inguinal Hernia. Open Surgical Repair. (Not Laparoscopic).

I realize there are people with worse out there. However, the scar is limiting range of motion. That stated, there were some complications.
Do you....get in to fights often? That's just kind of a weirdly specific question related to post-op.
Not by choice, and hopefully never. That said, if it is a weakness, then good to know.

Weight loss is from digestive issues, and not eating much.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:53:13 pm by Transcendant »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2017, 03:05:56 am »

Over here PT is automatically included in the after care package that comes with hernia surgery (as in, they won't let you leave the hospital without an appointment with fysio), which is why I asked if they offered you post-op revalidation.
PT is possibly essential to a good recovery, so please go and ask your doc about it.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2017, 07:44:06 pm »

In American Medicine, patient care doesn't matter to the powers that be. Money does. Everything that can conceivably be done outpatient, or at the lowest level possible is. Physical therapy isn't automatic in a lot of things anymore, sadly, and neither is inpatient status. Thankfully, I have good insurance right now, or I'd be totally screwed. I am very grateful I could get any help. Without insurance, there is no way I could have afforded a medically necessary operation in the five figure price range.

I am honestly not sure what to ask my doctor for. Like I said, I have limited mobility in my right hip, and pain when the incision is stressed from bending that hip. Oddly, I also have a tender area above my belly button. This is actually fairly new and surprising, because the hernia was lower.

To be fair, it has only been 3 weeks since the surgery, but it's a little disconcerting.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 03:50:14 am »

In American Medicine, patient care doesn't matter to the powers that be. Money does.
Then they are dumb about it. We have (near) mandatory revalidation and PT because the state knows that if you don't offer that, the economic costs of lost labour caused by slower recovery, and perhaps even permanent partial or full disability are much much higher than the costs of revalidation. Patient care is a money issue here too, it's just given more thought.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:51:52 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5