Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: post op recovery  (Read 8583 times)

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: post op recovery
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2017, 09:28:20 pm »

Thank you.

Yeah, unsurprisingly, he took the route of CYA. I get it. I really do. That said, it hurts and I want it not to.

Laying on my stomach, walking without pain, getting in / out of chairs, and other things I miss are sort of getting me down. He keeps saying everyone heals differently and that this is normal.... He sees this all the time.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2017, 09:47:51 pm »

Please do not quote:

Condolences, for what that may be worth to you.

Tape Recording: Make sure you understand if you are in a one party consent state or a two party consent state (assuming you are in America).

So, I am not a medical professional, etc. That stated, the "crease" you mention, I've heard it called an inguinal cleft, delicate stuff, as you have found out.

I might consider the following, call your physician's office, explain situation, ask them about keeping a journal: pain, symptoms, etc. Do they approve of the idea of writing down symptoms each day / occurrence? Severity 1-10, characteristic (sharp, dull, radiating, concentrated, deep, shallow, made worse by something, made better by something, etc. Ask them if they think documenting your range of motion issues would be helpful to the doctor, including things you used to be able to do but now no longer can do or do as well, mechanical restraint or pain restraint? Etc.

Ask them if there is anything you could do or not do to help the situation.

Again, I am not a medical doctor, and that is expressly why you should ask your doctor. My only intention is to direct you to your physician and provide a reasonable question to ask him or her with the goal of helping you communicate. Your M.D. D.O. may approve or disapprove, of course. Basically, it appears you are having difficulty communicating your concerns to your physician. Perhaps consider explaining that you are ... frustrated at the situation? Do not understand why your recovery hasn't been faster? Are concerned about ______. I recommend politeness, quite generally as a communicating style / tone. Either the physician did or did not screw up, and in either case, you're not going to resolve that with a question or 12 and I would imagine the goal might be placed on a solution. In any event, of course do what the physicians have instructed.
For what it's worth, I've recently had some medical issues and I can sympathize somewhat. It can be oddly difficult to recover medically, especially when other people have certain expectations and our bodies do not meet them for whatever reason.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2017, 08:36:01 pm »

Two weeks later. No return call.... I am trying not to be upset at that nurse.

Still hurts. Still feels like shit when I even cautiously try to lift things. I don't try to put weight on things.

I am exhausted and a bit upset.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2017, 01:10:40 pm »

Please do not quote:

I am very sorry to hear that. Concerning your feelings, that must be difficult to deal with, though you seem to be doing a good job of it right now, acknowledging and adapting. For what it's worth, I also have soft tissue issues; different but still difficult and definitely sympathetic.

I would suggest documenting when you called the nurse, and did what, when. Again, the attitude is often determinative of your altitude or how high up you can go.

Have a professional conversation with your physician explaining what's wrong. Explain that it has been X amount of time and you don't understand why you haven't progressed as much as you thought you would. Show him or her the fact that you're a little worried and in pain from this. Again, ask if there's anything you should be doing that you aren't, or if there's anything you haven't done that you should. Let him know about any possible instances you can think of that might have injured/reinjured (falls, ... I'm not sure, but events you believe may have been harmful), and ask him if those instances may have caused your issues. Tell him you're worried and don't understand (if I'm reading your right). Ask for possible explanations why there is still pain and difficulty lifting things after X months.

Understand he may not have answers right away, but it is important to keep him informed of things. Even the best physician in the world needs input and information to have a chance at getting things right. Politely, inform him or her.

Best of luck to you.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2017, 08:23:35 pm »

My Doctor was nice about it and set me up with "pain management."

He told me that this would get resolved. The drugs would be temporary and that things would clear up. Then he said to contact him after 3 months if it didn't clear up with pain management for possible surgery.

One thing, if anyone knows, he mentioned that there could be topical pain meds and a needle involved.

What would the needle be for?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2017, 08:26:25 pm »

Presumably they intend to inject you with something, unless they're going to offer you acupuncture therapy, though that would be a weird way to offer that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2017, 03:23:05 am »

Lidocain/mepivacain maybe?

That or neurolysis
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2017, 02:31:18 pm »

That sort of thing isn't risky or dangerous, is it?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2017, 03:42:33 pm »

Which sort of thing?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2017, 05:55:10 pm »

Lidocain injections aren't very dangerous. Neurolysis is a bit more dangerous, but only about as dangerous as donating blood.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2017, 09:01:21 pm »

Thank you, yeah.

Basically, the injections/neurolysis. I'm just scared because I don't really know what that is. I read something about destroying a nerve and it freaked me out. Then again, type anything into WebMD and you end up with every diagnosis imaginable, so I don't know what to believe.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2018, 03:21:06 am »

I'm not directly involved in the procedure but my understanding is that it's unpleasant (then again, 99% of things that happen in a hospital are)  but no big deal.  I've had elderly unfit patients undergo this without any trouble

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2018, 07:28:33 pm »

I am primarily worried about possible long term side effects.

I realize this may seem and perhaps even be a bit paranoid. I imagine this is fairly routine. Then again, I've been told I'm the 1% who has had chronic pain, infection, and bleeding from this surgery. (Though thankfully not recurrence).

Please, pardon my medical ignorance. I just don't want the pain to get worse, fail to regain non painful range of motion in my hip (bones and stability are fine, and I can stand, but it just hurts). It's simply another issue in my life I gain nothing from and am bothered by. There's nothing like having the right side of your inseam and ... other anatomy aching and sometimes having a lovely pinprick pain that can become a zapping stab when you least expect it. I'll stop complaining now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2018, 08:25:56 pm »

I think he's just going to inject a local anesthetic directly into the surgery site. It will likely numb you the the point you won't feel anything. It's basically the same thing a dentist would do to numb you up for pulling your wisdom teeth....except instead of injecting your gums, he's going to inject in to your groin.

"Pain management" is a euphemism for regular doses of powerful pain medication administered by a doctor so you can function properly and not be in agony while your body heals, because clearly prescription pain meds you administer to yourself aren't doing the job. The side effects are likely: not enjoying have a big ass needle stuck in to a sensitive area on a regular basis; weakness and muscle atrophy from things in that area not functioning normally and any other side effects that come from longer term usage of high end anesthetics. 
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 09:14:53 pm »

I think he's just going to inject a local anesthetic directly into the surgery site. It will likely numb you the the point you won't feel anything. It's basically the same thing a dentist would do to numb you up for pulling your wisdom teeth....except instead of injecting your gums, he's going to inject in to your groin.
So you still have some one yanking on your tooth with pliers but it only hurts when you get home.
Sounds about right, the drugs have worn off by now and Transcendant is looking to get up and moveing again.
So "Pain management" A.K.A we cut you open so heres the good stuff, is quite normal but you do have to do the moveing, not miles and miles but try to walk about and get the full range of movement.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5