Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Monstrous Humanoids Mod: The Idea Thread  (Read 5496 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Monstrous Humanoids Mod: The Idea Thread
« on: August 11, 2017, 05:35:56 pm »

Monstrous Humanoids Mod:
The Idea Thread

Mod thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164948.0

If you got any ideas for goblinoids, orcs, ogres, trolls, or gnolls, wild and "civilized" alike, post them here!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:24:21 am by Asin »

Metalsoul212

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblinoids (and Orcs) Mod: The Idea Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:07:53 pm »

I have some ideas! I've been working on my own mod and have been making a variety of elf and human cultures that live in exclusive biomes types so maybe you would be interested in doing something similar to that?

E.g. Swamp goblins, field goblins, ect.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:10:43 pm »

I have some ideas! I've been working on my own mod and have been making a variety of elf and human cultures that live in exclusive biomes types so maybe you would be interested in doing something similar to that?

E.g. Swamp goblins, field goblins, ect.

Hmm... Alright. Can you give me examples on how these goblinoids would be different from your average goblin?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 01:49:19 pm by Asin »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 03:23:30 am »

Winged goblins. Basically goblin-bat hybrids -- wings instead of arms and a tail instead of legs.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 09:12:50 am »

Winged goblins. Basically goblin-bat hybrids -- wings instead of arms and a tail instead of legs.

Alright.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:06:46 am by Asin »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 11:26:10 am »

*BUMP!*

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 10:58:03 pm »

Orcs:
Slightly larger than normal humans (so 75000 or 80000) prefer to use basic weapons (Glaive[pike], Spear, Large Cleaver[sword](looks more like a sugarcane machete), *Clad Club[Mace](* is for the material so if they made it from Iron it'd be a Iron Clad Club), Great Warhammer, Battle Axe) Some of their army skill names should be renamed to reflect the weapons they use. They will like to make their homes near the ocean. Castes: Ogren[About 90000 in size, they are the largest and strongest of Orcs having shared physical traits of ogres and orcs (broad forehead, boar tusks. making them resemble a tusked gorilla) they are the only ones that can hold position of warleader which serves under the warchief(leader/king type). They are generally Male and not as common as the other castes], Orc[Common], Orc King[Very Rare only ones that can become Warchiefs, ones that are not the warchief usually lead sqauds as elites due to their naturally high combat abilities]

Orkin:
Mix of Corrupted Elves (mutated to be greenskins) and Orc-human halfbreeds. They tend to be nomadic and live in tundras/deserts and use a mismatch of weapons from most greenskin and human civs, they are about human size. Castes: Corrupted Elf[mix of facial elven features perverted with orcish tusks, no slender elven frame due to the orc genes, more agile than normal orcs], Man-Orc[mix of human features, favor blade weapons tending to have a natural talent for using them]

Mountain Goblins:
Basically Vanilla goblins being the same size as dwarves, preferring mountainous regions even willing to live in mountain homes (only if they take it, dark towers still are their primary). Castes: Goblin[default], Gretchin[smaller than most goblins about 50000 close to kobolds, due to their small size they are better with ranged weapons but normally serve as the labor force and scavengers for goblins]

Hob Goblins:
Only slightly larger than normal goblins (65000) they prefer to be in Tundras or swamps and use basic weapons (axes, clubs, spears, bows)

All 4 are baby snatchers and should make them allies based on this Entity Trait, as green skins are normally on some sort of us vs them mentality, even if all 4 breeds don't get along 100%

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 09:08:05 am »

For Furry Fortress, I had a half-plan to make a race of pig-people called Borks (Boarks, Borcs, Boarcs, something like that), going back to the older notion that orcs are like pig-like.  Tusks, cloven hooves, snouts, etc.  I feel like you could fit that into a game alongside green orcs.  Their weapons would be very simple, Squishka is a blunt mace-rod, Chopka is an axe-like weapon, Stabka is a spear. 

I always liked the idea of Orcs as a "noble savage" race.  Fearsome, but ultimately people of honor, even if their customs seem barbaric to other races.  Like Klingons I guess. 

Maybe a tribe of orcs that specializes in Orc hybrids.  Orcman = Orc + Human, Goborc = Goblin + Orc, Orf = Elf + Orc, Dwerk = Dwarf + Orc, Trock = Troll + Orc, Ogorc = Ogre + Orc, Satorc = Satyr + Orc, Orclak = Gorlak + Orc, Foul Blendork = Foul Blendec + Orc, Gremlorc = Gremlin + Orc, Reachorc = Reacher + Orc, Blizzorc = Blizzard Man + Orc, Cyclorc = Cyclops + Orc, Minotork = Minotaur + Orc, Orpy = Harpy + Orc, Koborc = Kobold + Orc, Ornera = Manera + Orc, Merk = Merfolk + Orc, Plump Helmorc = Plump Helmet Man + Orc.  If you can, maybe the various hybrids are all a sort of servant cast that are created by some sort of aristocracy like a High Orc or Wizorc.  Depending on your taste in lore, the hybrids could be created with magic (like Oruk-hai) or the old fashioned way, with prisoners.  Maybe there's some way to do like a Zombification interaction with prisoners that turns them into Orc Hybrids so that you get a group of hybrids based on the available populations. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 06:18:11 pm »

For Furry Fortress, I had a half-plan to make a race of pig-people called Borks (Boarks, Borcs, Boarcs, something like that), going back to the older notion that orcs are like pig-like.  Tusks, cloven hooves, snouts, etc.  I feel like you could fit that into a game alongside green orcs.

I like that idea! Putting them in.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 11:42:37 pm »

Orcs:
Slightly larger than normal humans (so 75000 or 80000) prefer to use basic weapons (Glaive[pike], Spear, Large Cleaver[sword](looks more like a sugarcane machete), *Clad Club[Mace](* is for the material so if they made it from Iron it'd be a Iron Clad Club), Great Warhammer, Battle Axe) Some of their army skill names should be renamed to reflect the weapons they use. They will like to make their homes near the ocean. Castes: Ogren[About 90000 in size, they are the largest and strongest of Orcs having shared physical traits of ogres and orcs (broad forehead, boar tusks. making them resemble a tusked gorilla) they are the only ones that can hold position of warleader which serves under the warchief(leader/king type). They are generally Male and not as common as the other castes], Orc[Common], Orc King[Very Rare only ones that can become Warchiefs, ones that are not the warchief usually lead sqauds as elites due to their naturally high combat abilities]

Orkin:
Mix of Corrupted Elves (mutated to be greenskins) and Orc-human halfbreeds. They tend to be nomadic and live in tundras/deserts and use a mismatch of weapons from most greenskin and human civs, they are about human size. Castes: Corrupted Elf[mix of facial elven features perverted with orcish tusks, no slender elven frame due to the orc genes, more agile than normal orcs], Man-Orc[mix of human features, favor blade weapons tending to have a natural talent for using them]

Mountain Goblins:
Basically Vanilla goblins being the same size as dwarves, preferring mountainous regions even willing to live in mountain homes (only if they take it, dark towers still are their primary). Castes: Goblin[default], Gretchin[smaller than most goblins about 50000 close to kobolds, due to their small size they are better with ranged weapons but normally serve as the labor force and scavengers for goblins]

Hob Goblins:
Only slightly larger than normal goblins (65000) they prefer to be in Tundras or swamps and use basic weapons (axes, clubs, spears, bows)

All 4 are baby snatchers and should make them allies based on this Entity Trait, as green skins are normally on some sort of us vs them mentality, even if all 4 breeds don't get along 100%

Hobgoblins and Orcs are already in.  I might do something with your Orkin and Mountain Goblin ideas.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 08:58:39 pm »

So, my apologies for necroing my own thread, but the time has come for ideas once more to spill from your minds into your fingers which type upon the keyboard or tap upon the screen of the phone. I am adding in servant races for most of the races (the exception being the Orkin). I would like to hear what kind of ideas you can come up with!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monstrous Humanoids Mod: The Idea Thread
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 08:33:15 pm »

Hello once more, people of the forum! I need some ideas for some new variants, this time themed after the newer race categories I'm adding to the mod! The mod is now Monstrous Humanoids, and these new categories are Ogres, Trolls, and Monstrous Animal-Men (Such as Gnolls)! So, if you have any ideas for kinds of ogres, races of trolls, or species of monstrous animal-men, lemme know!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 12:06:54 am »

When you talk about monstrous animal people, i cant help but think of things like centaur sorta things. Tiger man-taur monsters and giant monitor lizards with the torso of a lizardman instead of a head. Cobramen with multiple heads like a hydra. Wasp people with deadly venom and razor sharp mandibles and claws. Make harpies a proper race of bird-people (keep in mind pathfinding for civilized fliers is all borked) Goat men with too many horns. Foxmen with extra (prehensile?) tails like a kitsune that eat people.

And you simply must do proper norse mythological trolls. Multiple heads (castes with different numbers of heads and body sizes) and weak unless cave adapted. You can make a syndrome delivered through their saliva that theyre constantly drooling that makes them stronger and tougher if theyve been underground for a certain length of time, but otherwise theyre very fragile.

You could make ogres that live in more extreme environments like volcano ogres for the magma sea. The game already has blind cave ogres. Maybe orangutan like tree ogres.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 10:00:30 am »

There's a trick where you can make a creature that behaves differently when wet, use a secretion that produces a short-term syndrome.  Water prevents secretions from being produced, so the syndrome will end when the creature is moist.  You can use this for various kinds of aquatic trolls or frogmen, or the opposite, monsters that are weakened by water.  I used it for Kappas and Mogui.  Kappas are cool.

My Mostly Mythical Monsters mod has a fair number of humanoids, including girtablilu (scorpion-centaurs), gorgons, naga, sirens, and tengu.  Feel free to take whatever you think fits.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 03:47:12 pm »

All right, everyone, I have decided to place some initial ideas into the mod thread. Check out the first post, it'll have the basic ideas I came up with, regarding some of the inspiring ideas you all have given me so far.
Pages: [1] 2