Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Intelligent pet breeding?  (Read 1468 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligent pet breeding?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 01:01:15 am »

Update: So did another test, with just [CAN_LEARN] dogs instead of [INTELLIGENT] ones.

They're still historical (checked with gui/gm-editor), but...

||

Nameless.

Another difference:

||

All friends from the start.

Anyway, running it for 4 years doesn't get any puppers or dog lovers, either. 8 pairs of dogs, each with 3x3 suite to spend time in.
(All testing done in 43.03)

Hm. I'm not much a modder, maybe setup is missing something. Nilsou, can you go into the region folder you used for your test and post the raws for your smart cat? (Since you said that did have children.)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 01:15:46 am »

Failure: Fort stuck in web-spinning titan. RIP felid.  :-\
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 11:10:28 am »

I have not this region anymore, it was old experiment and i have moved since this. 
The only raw which is modified (and still in my current region) is that i had [CAN_LEARN] to cat and dog.
Although i had :

[ROOT_AROUND]

to cat to prevent them to die from lack of vermin (they can only feed with vermin since they have the [RETURNS_VERMIN_KILLS_TO_OWNER] which suppose VERMIN_HUNTER. )
Note that this does not solve problem in all case.

In my second version i have had also [SLOW_LEARNER] to both cats and dogs to prevent them from learning a lot of skill.
No other modification since this.

Result intended :
- Cats and dogs should be counted as CITIZEN and not in the pet screen (but named as tame, as usual)
- They eat and drink
- They have unfulfilled need (as without other modif they can have need like "make a great masterwork", this kind of thing, but can't do anything for that).
- They require bedroom where you have one. I recommend you to have surnumerous individual bedroom.

Though, if it's like dwarves, it is possible that couple make children VERYYYYYYYYYY rarely ... as they have needs it could necessitate the desire of making family. You can maybe add some personnality tag in the creature rax to maximize to favours the existence of this type of needs. It could help. Also, if it's like dwarves, they have to be close to "talk" and evolve in their relation, i guess. If this is the case, notice that cats on my old game have been very close to each other as they was all in the refuse room stockpile to track the rare vermins (inside) whereas dogs are mostly individual and follow dwarves... it could be the difference.
May be you can pasture/burrow/lock them to do the tricks...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:13:25 am by Nilsou »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 02:41:53 pm »

Ah, slow learner is different. Wild animalmen can't get pregnant, but wild troglodytes can, and trolls can take [SLOW_LEARNER] [EVIL] creatures as pets.

I always had them in the pet screen, with a random name or just Stray Dog as name, so they're definitely counted the same way as yours.

I always do 3x3 sealed rooms with orientation and age check for all my smart breeding pairs, including here :) Though I notice the dogs only spoke with [INTELLIGENT], which granted them names as well (but remained in pet screen and didn't breed, so eeh.).

In my concurrent experience dwarves who got married got pregnant before I could pause, at least (iirc this requires No Job+adjacency, which I had). I'm not sure desire for family has any effect other than preventing marriage, though.

It's not like the smart dogs have any different value alignments than normal, either (checked).

How old was this experiment? If it was before 42.01? or so, then how this worked might have been different. I'm definitely not replicating what you're doing, as my dogs aren't in my Citizens list.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:51:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 03:48:02 pm »

It was few weeks ago on last verson, and again, with cats, which could vary the result a bit i guess.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 05:18:14 pm »

Ho, and do you see them in the resident list in DfTherapist ? that's the main point. As i don't check my list ingame but only with therapist i could have made a mistake on that point.
If you don't, it doesn't work :p

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 09:24:06 pm »

No, I only looked at the list in-game. Both [INTELLIGENT] and [CAN_LEARN] puppers show up in both animals and citizen labor menus in therapist, though.

Just checking, you did get breeding in first version, or was it only in second version with slow learner?

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 01:42:06 am »

I just can't remember ... in fact at this time it was a pretty annoying event for me, my cats was starving to death due to lack of decent vermins in quantity (beginning of game -> small refuse stockpile with only few refuse / very few food too -> very few vermins -> cats starving. ) so i had to let die my olds cats to let only the kitten live. He didn't manage to leave very long, but manage to grow up.

At this time i was not informed that this will become a surprising point on this topic XD so i didn't notice the parameters on a post-it ^^.

But i can assure you that, due to this chain of event with cats starving and the fact that the parent cat died from starvation, i am sure that this is during the CAN_LEARN experiment (and i remember this point clearly also without the need of deducting) but i'm NOT sure about the presence of not of the SLOW_LEARNER tag. But i guess it was not here because in my memory i have added it only last time i modify the raw and i have not made any attempt of a game since then...
Pages: 1 [2]