Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bone spear  (Read 1149 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bone spear
« on: August 12, 2017, 07:33:50 pm »

This has probably come up quite often by now, but i couldnt find a topic on it, so here it goes:

A child just created an artefact badger bone spear... now, i know its probably useless in the military, but i might want to use it in an arena fight. does anyone have research on bone as a weapon material (spears)?

upright spear trap would have been an option to, if it wasnt for that weaponstrap crash bug.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Bone spear
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 07:50:32 pm »

Iirc bone is better than wood but worse than any metal. Don't recall how it compares to leather.

Weapon traps crash on breakage of contents. Artifact/Named weapon will never break due not accumulating wear, so it's fine to use those.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 08:03:01 pm »

Oh, I hadn't thought about that! Still, planning an arena, so it will probably go there. Thx for the help.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 03:03:08 am »

And the weapon breakage bug is fixed in the next DF version, but yes, for the current version an artifact spear would make an excellent repeating menacing spike trap component (and I don't see why an arena test would stop fortress usage: unlike real life, you can make a copy of the save for arena usage and return back to the fortress one).

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 04:20:53 am »

I think you would end better up if you simply use the spear as decoration in your dining room in a upright spear trap. Just make sure that nobody can fall onto it by accident.
Bone weapons are not super worse, but as you are unable to use other weapons due the weapon trap bug, you have only one weapon trap with one spear. While this still could help with enemies, one single bone spear wouldn't make THAT big difference in my opinion.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 04:37:48 am »

it could be coated in knockout or husk dust tho even then it needs to pierce whatever they're wearing and touch skin

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 10:38:11 am »

it could be coated in knockout or husk dust tho even then it needs to pierce whatever they're wearing and touch skin

now THAT would just be a hilarious amount of effort to make a useless artefact useful.

And the weapon breakage bug is fixed in the next DF version, but yes, for the current version an artifact spear would make an excellent repeating menacing spike trap component (and I don't see why an arena test would stop fortress usage: unlike real life, you can make a copy of the save for arena usage and return back to the fortress one).

well, the intention was more to build an arena in my fort, arm some poor guy with that spear, put him in a suit of badger bone armour and let him fight against caught goblins, trolls and whatever wildlife I can find above and below ground. Its for when i get bored of watching my dwarves work on the dwarven housing project or farming fields ect. If the fights turn out interresting enough to narrate, I might post some of it in another thread.