Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I stop meat from rotting?  (Read 5971 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
How do I stop meat from rotting?
« on: September 21, 2017, 04:09:13 pm »

I get so mad when I waste food, since my ranger spent all day hunting.How do I stop meat from rotting away?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I stop meat from rotting?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:24:30 pm »

More haulers & bigger stockpiles. Simple.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 04:44:07 pm »

Aye, refuse and food are my two largest stockpiles by floor space - I use qsp for everything, but ending up in food pile eventually is not as good as ending in food pile now.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 06:46:26 pm »

Yeah I always make a new food stockpile the floor underneath the current one as soon as the current one reached like, 50-60% capacity. The food must flow.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 02:31:06 am »

Infuriatingly, if you're short of dorf power, haulers seem to be a lot more interested in hauling the rotting meat away from the butchery to the refuse stockpile than to haul the (still) fresh meat to a food stockpile.
They're also a lot more interested in hauling decade old dry bones from a recently opened cavern to the refuse stockpile than the just-killed (and butcherable) body of the FB that generated those bone piles.
The first issue can be addressed to some extent by reallocating your dorfs so fewer have refuse hauling and more have food hauling (and few have both).
The second problem can be handled by 'f'orbidding (most of) the old junk with d-b-f until the time critical stuff has been taken care of (burrows won't work, as that will result in cancellation spam that not only messes up your message log, but the buggers won't actually do anything as they keep taking and dropping the same disallowed hauling jobs over and over again, resulting in them doing nothing but spamming).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:44:01 am »

I get so mad when I waste food, since my ranger spent all day hunting.How do I stop meat from rotting away?
Moving food onto a stockpile is high-priority job. Moving food into a barrel is not high-priority job.

I have a 100-tile no-barrel stockpile that only accepts meat, fish, plant, fruit/leaves, and cheese (just foods that can rot). This stockpile gives to the main barrelled food stockpiles. So when there is a lot of non-stockpiled food suddenly available (you just bought all the food from a caravan at the same time two elephants were butchered...), the reservoir fills up fast and then the packing into barrels is done eventually.

An important piece to this is having spare barrels or large_pots (set up a job manager order to make more when you have less than 5 and you will rarely have food rot again).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 02:32:04 pm »

1) capture necromancer 
2) refer to 'how to bacon' 
3) store your meat in undead form.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 11:14:25 am »

Also, make sure you have good stockpile design near your butcher's shop.  There ought to be a refuse stockpile right next to it and a meat/fat/skin stockpile on its other side.  That way your haulers have only a short distance to go between the butcher's shop and where the food will be (temporarily) stored and can make more trips in the same amount of time, hauling it clear quickly and getting it into spots that will keep it from decaying. 

Once there, you can have your more primary stockpiles take from those smaller stockpiles near the butcher's shop.  Should get your stuff where it needs to go with minimal time spent slowly going bad.