Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Haunted forest fort  (Read 2756 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Haunted forest fort
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:00:40 pm »

So I started playing dwarf fortress a year ago and i'm still kinda a noob. After dying of thirst, I started a new fortress which,was in a haunted biome. I thought I was just going to die anyways so why not!Well believe it or not I'v spent 4 years in the game so far(I think its 4 yrs).I just got my first attack.A were tortoise attacked. Totally normal,so yay the monster killed 3 dwarfs.Also I have 62 dwarfs a hospital,Tavern, and a temple. Plus my front door has like 50 stone fall traps.Please tell me what you think and give advice to me.Also one of my dwarfs just died and I don't know how.But before he died his thoughts were "He is bored with day to day living".Anyways need all the help I can get,specially for my military.Thank you.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haunted forest fort
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 10:34:01 pm »

I suggest carving a memorial slab to the dwarf and looking at its description. Memorial slabs often have the cause of death written on them.

Also, MAKE SURE TO QUARANTINE EVERYBODY WHO WAS BITTEN BY THAT WERETORTOISE. Things can get nasty quick otherwise.
You had some real guts trying a Haunted embark while still being a noob, but it looks like you pretty much figured it out.

This may seem obvious, but if you don't have a military by now you should really get one.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 12:15:16 am »

You know you need to get a military started. The link - Part 10: “Soldiers and your army” is a good guide to the different things to consider when setting up a squad, and ask questions as you get them.

Other things...

Check what consumables your fort is producing too much of, or too little of (food, booze, and clothing).

Determine what you can make from your fort's metal ores (metal alloys or weapons and armor types), and if you are short on armor metals, find out if you have a lot of bone or leather for cheaper armor coverage (leather and bone armor will deflect a fair amount of damage and when training, it will improve the armor skill) and if you have a lot of junk to smelt and reforge (bought some large iron armor from humans? Melt it down and make dwarf-sized gear).

Determine what else you want in the fort (building projects, types of rooms).

Then as you go along, determine what things you have working but want to automate more.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 02:34:22 am »

Also, learn DFHack. Contrary to what you may think, it has a lot of utilities which wouldn't be considered exploits at all.
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:59:57 pm »

Update:3 dwarfs turned into were Tortoises >:(.There was a epic battle now I have 52 guys.Oh, and everyone is thirsty cause for some reason they wont build a well. Probably going to lose soon .After all losing is fun ;).I'l tell you a-bought my epic defeat later. :P

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 09:19:45 pm »

Update:This so weird I got this message: "Ingish Konosgim,Weretortis Siege Operater has transformed into a dwarf".What?A little help?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 10:14:12 pm »

They transformed back. You get message on every transformation, unless you disable it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 12:12:59 am »

That's why you should quarantine them. Lock them in a room and then wall off the door (since werebeasts can break down doors).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 07:36:17 am »

That won't really stop the messages, though.

Only killing them will. And changing announcements.txt

Er. Only two things stop the messages: killing them, changing announcements.txt and sending them offsite.

Hm. Only three things stop the messages: killing them, changing announcements.txt, sending them offsite and maiming the moon.

Yeah, I'm good. No further changes.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 12:55:31 pm »

Oh, I was replying to the OP saying that 3 dwarfs turned into the wereturtles, not you saying that you get a message every transformation.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 02:09:53 pm »

Update: I died!Lolz. More guys turned into weretortoises.Huge fight blablabla.I put everyones corpse in one pile .Which,was a bad idea because a got a ghost hunting the last 5 survivors.2 kids and 3 dwarfs,who were all weretortoises. At that point I just hit end game button. Losing is fun!See you next time guys! -Shadowdragon00.

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 02:48:36 pm »

If all of them were weretortoises then it's a win, not a lose. They can heal, can turn in stronger form and will live forever. The only question is how to turn all migrants safely. On a serious note, werefortress is particularly hard to manage. You either have to micromanage all of your dwarf every full moon to burrow them somewhere, or you have to rebuild a ton of furniture and workshops every month.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 03:54:16 pm »

The furniture isn't a real issue, just make sure all your furniture is untargetable by building destroyers while still accessible for dwarves. Nothing a brief channeling or (de)construction won't fix.

The main issue is them seeing each other being werebeasts as transformation ends and attacking each other (if military, at least).

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:02 am »

When you have bitten dwarfs(from a werebeast) try to send them into the Hospital and wall them in. Then they kill each other and your fort survives :D
But when your half fort transform, it is to late  ;)

But was their no Problem with Zombies?
The old apple revels in its authority.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 06:45:47 pm »

When you have bitten dwarfs(from a werebeast) try to send them into the Hospital and wall them in. Then they kill each other and your fort survives :D
But when your half fort transform, it is to late  ;)

But was their no Problem with Zombies?

They won't kill each other if they're from the same species of werebeast, but it does stop them from infecting the rest of your fort.
Pages: [1] 2