Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: YouTube recommendations  (Read 4307 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
YouTube recommendations
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:51:25 pm »

Hey guys looking for a new YouTube channel to watch dwarf fortress let's plays wanted to see who you guys recommended.

There were three guys that I have been watching for a long time, Quill18, dastastic and Marcus Aurelius.  Sadly, Marcus just announced he is shutting down his channel after four years. Quill does not do many DF plays.  I found a few channels but unfortunately they appear to be extremely young you tubers that drop F bombs every other word. While the word itself doesn't bother me I really don't need to hear that 500 times an episode when I'm trying to watch stuff.

So any good "more on the mature side"  channels that you could recommend?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: YouTube recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:54:46 pm »

This is the only DF Youtube thing I've watched and it is pretty good.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 12:47:56 am »

Channels I enjoy:
EveryoneLovesPirates (sporadic updates)
Kruggsmash (weekly updates)
Civillain (weekly updates)
Broke Gamer (no longer updated)

One offs I've enjoyed:
Dwarf Fortress please forgive me
My Dwarf Fortress Story
Asylum of the Three Immortals, a Dwarf Fortress tale

Note: Kruggsmash and Broke Gamer cuss appropriately or, at least, I don't find it inappropriate. And, I wouldn't consider Kruggsmash "more on the mature side," but I definitely don't type that as a slight.

I hope that helps.

DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 02:58:30 am »

Jefmajor's (one f jef) 40d lets plays are treasures. You should definitely watch them.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 12:55:38 pm »

I second the Kruggsmash suggestion. Almost all his newer vids are based on a world called the "Ageless Realms," a land where humans and elves are extinct and goblins rule the world. The storyline is about the last dwarves in the world (and one leopard seal man adventurer) trying to restore balance.

He also has a bunch of smaller series, like the Short Forts vids. You should really check him out.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 09:43:01 pm »

Warning!

Grandiose self promotion follows!

I have a youtube series that I call the "The Great Library Project". My intention is to build a great big grand library on the side of a volcano and fill it with books.

Turns out a lot of things did not go according to plan and while there is a library it turns out only two dwarfs actually value knowledge. There are 117 episodes and the fort is currently on year 20.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF2baVq6xe6t3zxxXmrLe3MiVRCnZI-pn

The way the series is being recorded will be changing soon because its down to 6FPS on average.

Edit*
The fort is on year 20.
We have a giant in a cage right behind the kings throne because why not.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:59:20 pm by GenJeFT »

dillonsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 06:00:43 pm »

Joel From Vinesauce has some good DF streams, He might stream DF again but who knows how long it will take him to do that, (Considering he hasn't streamed DF since January)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 10:41:00 pm »

Joel From Vinesauce has some good DF streams, He might stream DF again but who knows how long it will take him to do that, (Considering he hasn't streamed DF since January)
He said he'd stream the new version until, and possibly after, people beg him to stop.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 08:19:10 pm »

TheEqualsE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ6mFnge4XNXiAsy6YCNFhQ

He's one of us and has threads about his vids, too.

MaGicBush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 08:09:43 pm »

I second the Kruggsmash suggestion. Almost all his newer vids are based on a world called the "Ageless Realms," a land where humans and elves are extinct and goblins rule the world. The storyline is about the last dwarves in the world (and one leopard seal man adventurer) trying to restore balance.

He also has a bunch of smaller series, like the Short Forts vids. You should really check him out.

I just tried this guy. Unfortunately I was unable to get past the constant gds dropped and f bombs. I've never liked people that talk like that irl as I find it distracting and it seems like they cant be bothered to use their brains and say something more intelligent. so it's hard to like this series. Thanks for the other suggestions in this thread though everyone!

*edit* so giving Kruggsmash a second chance I skipped to the start of his second attempt at the evil biome and he chills out a lot with the swearing so its tolerable.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:04:39 pm by MaGicBush »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 09:01:14 am »

It also improves dramatically from that.  Where he really hits his stride is in the adventure mode series (and it continues to improve from there).  Although I think I can understand what you're saying, I think you'll find that Kruggsmash has quite a lot of intelligent things to say as the series moves forward (and as he figures out his style).  I secretly wish that he would find more effective ways of injecting his swearing because he's going to turn off some people just for that.  My only other (very minor) complaint is that I find the series to occasionally be a bit on the side of gratuitous violence.  This is obviously something that DF can do very, very well, but I kind of hope that he will start thinking about how to inject a bit more drama as opposed to violence.  Last week's episode was nail biting excellence (even if also violent :-) ).  I'm hoping for more of that (which is a huge ask).

Anyway, I know he lurks here occasionally, so in case he sees this I just want to say that I'm a massive fan.  Despite my minor nitpicks, I think it's one of the best things on Youtube full stop.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 01:51:07 am »

Oh! mikekchar you reminded me of one I forgot . . .

*ahem*
urouro niwa (no longer updated*)

*He's currently super busy with work. ;]

DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 08:41:41 am »

Cheers.  Soon to make a triumphant return :-)  I promise to meet Zon Prestigepapers before the next release ;-)

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 04:21:04 pm »

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Mane-Shaker

• Bay Watcher
  • RIP AND TEAR! BIG GUY, BIG GUTS!!!
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt! Yes, I draw!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 06:36:06 pm »

DasTastic
https://www.youtube.com/user/Das24680

Not only great tutorials and more updated ones, but he also has some DF lists and his own projects.  :)
Evil blood, evil origins... but the heart is not dark.
An unwritten destiny, a long road to walk and choices to make.
Your story, your destiny...
Pages: [1] 2