Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: YouTube recommendations  (Read 4358 times)

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
Re: YouTube recommendations
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 04:41:00 am »

DasTactic
He currently do a dwarf fortress series.
Named "The axe of fire"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gTsqXHiwqE&list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmMMdLSmg98Exl3XA55yVfnx
The old apple revels in its authority.

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 09:07:00 am »

Dawn Somewhere

Not really a youtube series, but this is the best df tutorial for new players imo. In fact it is the only reason I was able to get into the game as he actually made the tutorial fun to watch and gave DF that Dwarf feeling :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1ibZx5cO8

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 06:56:06 pm »

Re: Kruggsmash.

He himself admits that his early series are...a bit meh. He didn't have his format quite settled at the time yet (which nowadays is much more narrative-driven, with cutting out of the boring DF tasks that are of very little watching value, so he shows off as much of the good and interesting stuff as possible, with plenty of neat little drawings and storytelling thrown into the mix).

I'm not sure around when that format of his solidifies in the first series (it's 30 episodes long which is over thrice the length of all the ones afterwards), but series 2 (Hero of Balance, about Bim Silversnarl the leopard seal man demigod) is definitely settled into it, and he explains his past series well enough that you can start from anywhere if the OG Steelclutches series feels a bit daunting. (I started with the fourth 'season', then jumped to the second, then to the third, and it worked out fine but YMMV.)

So yeah, Steelclutches very much exhibits Early Installment Weirdness, but everything else is definitely more than worthwhile.

(It's now my absolute favorite DF series so I'm aware I might be gushing here a bit, but really, the guy deserves all the attention and support he can get because his content is really good now.)

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 02:54:40 am »

Jefmajor's (one f jef) 40d lets plays are treasures. You should definitely watch them.

Seconded. I'm surprised no one else mentioned them.
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 03:26:05 am »

Here is a shameless plug for my own channel

Featuring a lot of DF streams. It is unedited stuff, DF played in realtime, so it gets boring after a while. I do sieges and megabeast action in their separate streams and I try to do a short summary of the progress since the previous stream at the beginning of each streaming session. I play DF in "streaks" a few times per year where I do pretty much nothing else than DF for several weeks.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 03:58:58 pm »

Hey, Nagidal, did you retire DragonGranite? Moved on to at least a couple new (to me) ones at least, I see.

I watched some by Idgarad something or other a couple years back. That's surely enough to find the channel. He got me started on Fortress Defense and a few mods. No idea if he's current, but watching his vids made me decide I needed to drop a few bucks on a much bigger and better monitor. I think he had the same entrance in all his series, but if it works...
Pages: 1 [2]