Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Patroling Regions  (Read 862 times)

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Patroling Regions
« on: August 10, 2017, 06:24:02 pm »

From the dev page for the next it seems we will only be able to send squads to raid sites. Is it too late to add the ability to patrol a neighboring region to intercept FB's or simply scout for the next update?
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Patroling Regions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 05:34:30 am »

Well squads aren't armies if you've mistaken them for being fortress militia squads, since armies are going to take up a different thing altogether also detailed on the dev notes than the group party squad coming in the next release which to our current understanding can be armed but also composed full of civilians.

Having a persistant watch might come with having a army out in the world but nothing yet i think, the only races to currently patrol are elves via entity tags and that'll make them wander randomly through territory they "own"

• Firstly its definitely not going to halt or hinder the numbers of all but the smallest armies and groups depending on how well armed your squad is, a devastating attack might buy you time but its not quite a replacement for having a army or killing them on the defences.
  • there's additional things like logistics too that might make 24/7 patrolling a little troublesome for dwarves unless the army camp has its own food/drink supply, with the slow movement rates (not agile) wearing heavy armor etc probably not making them patrol effectively, though dwarves virtually have night vision so that's a plus.
  • Groups being sent off in the next release are expected to return so it might be ineffective unless theres some controls on how to set the points of their journey to navigate through.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 01:25:32 pm »

As far as I understand it, the biggest problem is that armies dont actually move around yet. unless he changed that for this release. they just disappear from their site and appear on the edge of yours.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 03:45:05 pm »

As far as I understand it, the biggest problem is that armies dont actually move around yet. unless he changed that for this release. they just disappear from their site and appear on the edge of yours.
That's incorrect. Armies do move around in 43.05 and even have to avoid obstructions such as mountains and oceans.

Ggobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 12:42:41 pm »

Well squads aren't armies if you've mistaken them for being fortress militia squads, since armies are going to take up a different thing altogether also detailed on the dev notes than the group party squad coming in the next release which to our current understanding can be armed but also composed full of civilians.

I did confuse squads and armies, but the suggestion still stands.

From the dev logs it seems armies come to our fortresses and we send out squads.

From 03/18/2017
We have little missions for groups of squads, and they can leave the map now. The current possibilities are rescue missions for kidnap victims, artifact recovery missions, and generic raids if you just want to start trouble. There are myriad issues to sort out, as expected. I'll let you know if anything amusing happens!

Having a persistant watch might come with having a army out in the world but nothing yet i think, the only races to currently patrol are elves via entity tags and that'll make them wander randomly through territory they "own"

Now we could send armies out we could patrol the territory we own.

• Firstly its definitely not going to halt or hinder the numbers of all but the smallest armies and groups depending on how well armed your squad is, a devastating attack might buy you time but its not quite a replacement for having a army or killing them on the defences.

At some point in a fortress's life dwarves become expendable. As you send them out have an option 'engage' or 'scout'.

• there's additional things like logistics too that might make 24/7 patrolling a little troublesome for dwarves unless the army camp has its own food/drink supply...

Dwarves already have backpacks and flasks for food and drink. There's already tents. Since armies can have civilians too--the civilians can be porters or squires carrying provisions. A simple algorithm taking in account the skill levels in hunting, plant gathering, and ect would help with food and drink.

• Groups being sent off in the next release are expected to return so it might be ineffective unless theres some controls on how to set the points of their journey to navigate through.

I wander if the army could be held abstractly in the region and probability plus an algorithm would tell if they see a FB or an invading army or if the FB/foreign army sees them.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:30:32 pm by Ggobs »
Just popping in to say that if DF has taught me anything, it's that everything is doomed.