Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom noble positions  (Read 1104 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom noble positions
« on: August 12, 2017, 10:19:39 pm »

I just wondered if it would be a good idea for players to be able to assign custom noble positions. I'm thinking mainly non-functional ones like master off the arena or foreman of the miners(or anything the player can come up with). Any customization in the way of generic functions might work too, like having meetings with mayor or needing an office for paperwork. What do you think?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
Re: Custom noble positions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 02:12:48 am »

I just wondered if it would be a good idea for players to be able to assign custom noble positions. I'm thinking mainly non-functional ones like master off the arena or foreman of the miners(or anything the player can come up with). Any customization in the way of generic functions might work too, like having meetings with mayor or needing an office for paperwork. What do you think?

Do you think the nobles might cotton on to us, if we give them positions such as: drowning chamber victim, magma chamber victim, ETC?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Custom noble positions
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 03:53:21 pm »

Technically, this exists already, although A) it requires you go to the raws, and that means B) you have to set it before you start and it's entity-wide, and C) the functionality is essentially limited to only doing things current nobles can already do. 

Outside of some sort of dynamic mid-game changes, though, this is planned to be put in gradually as more noble functions are put into the game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare