Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: (SG) You are an aspiring necromancer.  (Read 5734 times)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) You are an aspiring necromancer.
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2017, 03:34:13 am »

I think that we should consider taking a weapon, but only one that small enough to conceal we don't want to make it to obvious that we've been here at least for a while.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 10:36:38 am »

we should take a couple daggers and maybe some lighter armour to wear, we should also try and send the rat through the bottom of the door to see if anyone uses this building or if it's abandoned.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 03:34:06 am »

The rat zombie bounds up the stairs as you call it, meanwhile you look for a gap or something under the door, unable to see one before the zombie gets up to the top, it’s slower than a rat might normally be but not significantly. You sit down so you can whisper to your pet quietly, you don’t have a good idea how good its hearing is and try to phrase your instructions.

“When I say go, find a way into the rest of the house and look for people, if you find one come back immediately with a scrap of cloth or something from their person, otherwise return when you have searched the house. Go”

The rat sniffs around and bolts into a little hole in the wall. You’re unsure whether such complicated instructions will work but you’re willing to find out.

Now your eyes turn to the rest of the armoury, first things first arming yourself. You look over the wrapped up weapons and try and find the shortest ones you might hide on your person. Unfortunately this armoury seems to be a of a more military bent, the shortest weapons you find are a dagger which is little more than a spike as long as your forearm and a cutlass which is slightly longer, both come with sheaths and you stuff both into your belt. That done you turn to armour, you find the thinnest looking leather armour, drag its stand behind some crates and begin putting the armour on, this is a long slow process and even when you’re done you’re not sure you’ve done it right, the armour still hangs kind of funny, you think it will hinder the arm movements required to cast most spells until you can figure out how to put it on properly. With any luck though, no one should notice this is gone until they perform an inventory.

It’s not long to wait from then for your rat to come trotting back with a scrap of cloth in its which it drops at your feet. You take that as an indication there is at least someone in this building. As it has been a while you decide to sneak back into the next house, pause for any sign of movement and get back to the tower as soon as possible. There are no urchins on the ground floor and you get out into the cool night with little trouble. The night watch does not patrol here very often so you get back to your room in good time. You find a hiding place for your weapons, armour and zombie rat, though you are rapidly running out of places to stash contraband in your room, maybe you’ll be able to stow two or three more things before they spill out into the open.

Unable to resist reading your book before you sleep you open it up to read:

”Well done, you have taken the first step on your path to power. You will need to be careful with the dead you bind, smaller animals are weak but easy to conceal, human corpses might, with good spellcraft equal they were known for in life, but they are difficult to hide. The most powerful and the souls whose life and death were so clearly defined by one or two things can break free from cage of their cooling corpse, these ghosts are both potent and invisible to the unlearned in magic. They are an avenue to expand your power. It is likely that whatever is stirring trouble in the sewers is such a ghost. Here the path to power branches. You can learn to detect souls, the stronger they are clearer the signal, this will aid you in finding fodder to raise and powerful ghosts to recruit to your side. Or you could learn to take control of the senses of your slaves, allowing you to watch and listen to the world from safety, this too will help you find corpses to raise but it will give you more scope to discover other opportunities you might take advantage of within the city, the armoury you found bodes of dissension and future turmoil on the streets. Once you have found the location of a ghost or discovered and opportunity you can use to gain power, return to me to learn how to bend these to your will.”

Before you sleep this is a good time to also decide what you plan to do with your spare time tomorrow. As well as if you want to continue learning to summon stone with Arbus or if you wish to convince him to teach you some other aspect of magic.

Spoiler: Naleen Muldraun (click to show/hide)

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 04:21:38 am »

I say we should try to get to know ifues in the meantime, being able to manipulate light would be very useful for sneaking.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 03:56:16 pm »

If we do, an appropriate place to start might be to bring up what Arbus mentioned about her possibly remembering times when one could magically travel to the stars. I'm not sure whether approaching her directly would be appropriate, though; perhaps we should wait until Arbus' tasks next send us to see her?

I'd also like to propose a quick experiment - namely casting Detect Magic to see how our zombie and the Book look. It might help us locate other such items/undead spirits later.

Finally, I'd suggest finding Jia when she's off-shift and asking about the worrying rumours we've heard of strange activity in the sewers. More information never hurts.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 04:12:57 pm »

As it seems I have been unclear the book is offering you a choice between two spells to learn tonight. A long range soul detection spell and a spell to take direct control of your undead minions.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 04:53:12 pm »

I suggest we learn the soul detection spell it would help us sneak around more if we could detect people from long a way, and after speaking to Jia maybe work on getting our armour to fit properly
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2017, 05:29:15 pm »

I would vote for the direct control spell. This allows us to take slightly riskier actions with a buffer to the consequences. For example, we could explore the sewers with our rat without risk.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2017, 05:41:22 pm »

learn the soul detection spell.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2017, 10:33:22 pm »

Also, I think we should work on the direct control spell.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2017, 06:08:59 am »

You are very conflicted about which spell to learn right now as you can think of uses for both, you decide to read each thoroughly and discover that the spell to detect souls is not quite what you expected, it only detects souls that have been freed from their living vessels. Without the ability to detect keep track of living beings you decide to learn the spell of direct control first, and suddenly you know it. It’s a strange sensation, knowing that you have been studying both spells for the same amount of time but knowing for a fact you can only cast one, the book definitely seems to be having a hand in how quickly you are learning your spells and is giving you knowledge much more quickly than you would learn it from Arbus, but still it is holding something back from you, giving you trickles of power rather than letting you learn at a speed suited for you.

Still you have other things on your mind right now. It’s late, but still you spend a few minutes examining the shape of your spell in your head. With a few simple words, a touch and an expenditure of mana you can take direct control over an undead being for a few hours, whilst you have this control you have no control over your body or your senses so it is best to cast this spell somewhere safe. Furthermore the element of your control is made out of both your vitality and your mana. So, it is best not to lose it. If your minion should die whilst your will inhabits it or you do not return your will to your body before the spell is over you feel that you would lose some mana and some blood but otherwise be able to function as normal. You can have your undead minion touch your body to transfer your will back to yourself safely at any time.

Deciding that this is a spell to use cautiously you settle down for a few hours of deep, exhausted sleep before you get up to start your day as a mages apprentice. You wake up refreshed and early, despite your late night and start your day as you have for years now, making sure Arbus has breakfast and the things he needs for his morning studies before wolfing something down yourself. You sort, you tidy and you fetch until noon, and then it is time for your lessons. In the main you keep up studying the basic stone summoning spell, making slow progress which leaves you able to summon a pebble after an hour or so. It’s frustrating, but it doesn’t bother you so much now you are making progress on a different path.

Deciding not to put the time spent with Arbus to waste you decide to see if you can subtly push him to send you on an errand to Ifeus. However, despite your keen knowledge of him and his trust of you your suggestions fall on deaf ears, it is almost as if he has decided to purposely sidestep the topic of Ifeus and what she might know for the moment. Considering that he was free with this information just yesterday something must have changed in the meantime, perhaps they fell out, occasionally that does happen, though usually you he grumbles about her arrogance a little when they have an academic disagreement. Still you decide to leave the issue for now, but you think you’ve picked up a couple of tricks for the next time you want to get someone to do something.

As your lesson finishes and your chores are finished up you decide to take a few minutes to do some magical experimentation. You cast detect magic, it taxes you a lot more than it usually does and drains you to cast it, but magic is fickle like that and sometimes it’s just a bad day to cast a certain spell. Still, knowing is fairly important to you so you push the mana through regardless and see a familiar sight. The air is laden with spirits, lots of spells have been cast here over time and spirits tend to gather where the magic is, many of the books lying around have spirits embedded in them, marking them out as magical items or results of spells in their own right. Turning your sight to the two necromantic objects in the room you can’t see anything directly that would indicate they were magical, souls cannot be seen under detect magic it seems (you mentally rename the spell to something more appropriate) however the spirits do give each object a wide berth, no spirit approaches within a hand span on the zombie rat and you could stand within the spiritless sphere centred on the book and stretch your arms out and not touch a spirit. It seems that natural spirits do not like being around created souls. This then is a tool for those who search for necromancy, so long as you can see, you can see the gap in the sea of spirits, especially in magic rich environments.

Satisfied you decide to go speak to your sister, who should be having breakfast by now. Your father and Ta are out working and by the time you reach the house the three of them share Jia is cleaning and polishing her equipment. As you embrace, it’s something of a surprise to see you, you catch the definite whiff of sewer stuff. And that starts the conversation off, you show the requisite amount of concern and get her to talk without seeming too interested, you’re getting better at this getting people to do things business. She explains that the Night Watch and Paladins are hunting something in the sewers, something that’s killing the people who live down there and seems to have come closer to the surface recently as a child has gone missing in the last week. Which explains the involvement of the Night Watch, the Templars are there in case it is something magical, or even necromantic. So far whatever it is has been alluding them and Jia is obviously frustrated. You talk about family life and your studies which distracts her a bit from hunting around in the sewers all night. Before you leave, you offer to help her put her armour on, after all, it’s easier with two. Actually it isn’t, but your sister is patient enough to help you undo your mistakes and teach you how to do it properly. You reckon you’ve learned enough to wear the armour you’ve acquired without slowing you down too much.

So you have a the evening and as much of the night as you are willing to spend to do with as you will what next?

Spoiler: Naleen Muldraun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: spells (click to show/hide)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2017, 09:48:50 am »

Seeing as we can actualy summon pebbles now, should the summon stone spell be added to our spells spoiler?

Anyways, lock ourselves in our room and use our zombie rat to explore further into the sewers.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2017, 03:59:24 pm »

I'm not so sure the sewers would be the best option right away (too much attention there from rat catchers and the Templars). I'd rather use our rat to snoop round that house with the armoury in the basement, maybe follow someone if we see them leaving?. It'll be interesting to see how big this conspiracy is, if only so we can trade the information in to Jia to get her (hopefully) promoted for "uncovering" it and on our side.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 02:57:20 am »

Summon stone is not yet reliable enough to produce even small results. It will be added to the spell list when it is has more utility, can be cast more reliably.

Would anyone like to cast a tie breaker?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2017, 05:12:26 am »

I have no idea what to reccomend right now other than we should still focus on information gathering in regards to both our freinds and foes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6