Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252436 times)

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1080 on: November 21, 2019, 11:05:34 am »

I tried to make a mammoth graphic tile, but now the game just crashes.

Voidfull

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: November 23, 2019, 03:32:36 pm »

So i'm totally new to this. But im interested in converting units from the game Dominions 5 over to DF. Ive been trying out several ideas but im considering keeping it simple by kicking it off like this:

i am using the Dominions 5 Mod Inspector, i choose MA Mictlan as a starting point. Why? I like the nation. It appeals to me and i feel like i should make the hard part of learning to mod as fun and interesting as possible to help me over the humps.

I already made a conceptual Mictlan entity. But it rubs me the wrong way seeing it in game. I generated some worlds and it works all fine, But i immediately realized a conceptual disconnect by seeing a given nation appear as that given nation over several different instances of worlds. Its good training wheels though. But the beauty of DF is giving History free reign to surprise you. The disconnect is premised on the idea that worldgen creates a semblance of different nations and culture based on fantasy species and branching from there? Putting in a nation based on established culture feels like cutting corners and forcing it in. I like being surprised. Id love to get some thought on this by the way. I like the idea of worlds surprising me and this is something im interested in exploring the limits off and if possible break them. (for example id love the idea of procgen created cosmology in DF and its reverbaration on cultures)

But okay im new so i need to set my sights on something attainable in the foreseeable future. My idea right now is that im considering focusing on just making a little creature pack based on MA Mictlan. Make the generic creatures first. Get them in there. Flesh them out. Pick another Dom5 nation. Get the units in DF. Flesh them out. and so on. Until eventually i can release a big Dom5 inspired modpack.

This way it seems like  every step is a reasonable goal to me and helps me get my feet wet. Id also love to get feedback and thinking in terms of "blocks" of Dom5 nations feels like a good way to release something self contained while still working on an overall larger goal.

Beyond this whole Dom5 project i was really wondering if its possible to leverage the raws in dynamic ways like HUMAN CIV branch has 80% chance of using naming systems WAR:violence (or whatever) 20% WAR:peace
to differentiate cultures and worlds a bit more.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1082 on: November 25, 2019, 12:00:34 pm »

I got bored.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: November 25, 2019, 09:26:51 pm »

I got bored.
(click thumbnail to expand)

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: November 26, 2019, 04:55:32 pm »

I got bored.
(click thumbnail to expand)

The guitar should be made of flesh.
pug

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1085 on: November 26, 2019, 06:03:48 pm »

Funny that you should mention that, one of the spawned legendary fighters I put in this series of battles against some megabeasts did have a flesh guitar.

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: November 26, 2019, 06:30:33 pm »

Funny that you should mention that, one of the spawned legendary fighters I put in this series of battles against some megabeasts did have a flesh guitar.
Yeah I saw that, I didn't realize that this wasn't that one.
pug

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: December 06, 2019, 05:14:04 pm »

I finished the "7 Deadly Beasts" portion of my mod which doesn't have a name yet. Currently taking a break from megabeasts and adding regular, non-MB monsters instead.
pug

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 09, 2019, 09:52:11 am »

Added atlatls/javelins in my primitive civ mod for testing.

Two years and a couple hundreds of wooden/bone javelins thrown later, my four hunters are all adept/expert (level 7-8) throwers and have exactly 0 kills among them. Damn have I missed the mark.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 09, 2019, 10:03:18 am »

I'm creating a "Disassembly Workshop" that uses stonecrafting/leatherworking/weaving/woodcrafting/furnace operating (and fuel) to disassemble every item in the game by category and then by material at the bottom level. There are almost 400 reactions and are categorized into three tiers. Just fixing the last few keybinds and it'll be ready to share.

The idea is to be able to take things apart and get your resources back on a 1:1 ratio as much as possible.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:09:20 am by Broms »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 09, 2019, 10:16:29 am »

That is a metric buttload of reactions.

I was thinking of making a reaction to turn one generic meat type into any meat of any creature (just taking a stack of 10 or whatever and turning into one of each of the meat/organ types), to satisfy the weird food preferences, but declared that to be too finicky. Not only because of all the reactions but that it won't help with modded creatures or if tissues have been modified.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:25:50 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 09, 2019, 10:50:32 am »

Yeah there are quite a few but I'm doing it with an excel spreadsheet so the same formula makes every reaction, a lot less work then doing them individually.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 13, 2019, 08:46:36 am »

Well, it took awhile, but I am almost done with v1.0 of Elf Fortress. I added the ability to grow wood logs (for wall, floor and roof construction), but it is a slow process. For all other items, it is quicker to grow them directly from their seed (e.g. grown birch cage from a grown birch seed). I also added all of the bone weapons, armor and furniture from goblin fortress to allow for use of the bone resource as well.

Here are some elves in a wasteland that they are starting to convert into a forest.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 13, 2019, 05:12:59 pm »

I am thinking of other possible races for my fortress series. Are there any races that you guys would like to see added as a playable race in fortress mode as the next race for my fortress series?

Here are some ideas:

Kobold
Gnoll
Mountain Gnome
Dark Gnome
Centaur
Troglodyte
Gremlin
Plump Helmet Man
Ogre
Satyr
Hobogoblin
Ent
Giant
Cyclops
Ettin
Minotaur
Illithid
Drider
Sahuagin
Naga

Any other ideas?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 13, 2019, 06:16:25 pm »

How about trolls? They're always subjugated by the goblins in the vanilla game, and are rarely the subject of mods. It could be interesting to see what an independent troll society might look like.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 118