Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 251713 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1155 on: February 08, 2020, 08:22:54 am »

I just posted crashing worldgen seeds(4 of 11 tried seeds crashed worldgen) to the 47.02 release thread
and the OldGenesis installation that has the "easily crashing" civilizations. If you have windows 64bit you can verify that this raws+params+seed crashes.
Maybe even crashes OSX and Linux versions with the same raws and wgen params; I can't test those.

File: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14759
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 09, 2020, 06:07:56 pm »

Been tinkering around with some interaction stuff. Currently testing the last one I added, which does some very !!FUN!! spoilery shit, inflicting side effects on the user. The side effects I'll spoil a bit. Starts off right off the bat inflicting some undead-like traits to imply the user's basically sold their soul as a consequence of casting it, and each use will progressively make them lean more towards the cruelty personality trait, along with making their behavior more erratic.

But the most !!FUN!! effect I added was the stigmata. I had to tinker around a fair bit with the severity, because the key point is that all of the side effects are permanent, and compound with each use via SYN_CONCENTRATION_ADDED. So with a severity of 10 or so, the first couple uses seem to be safe. During my arena mode test, I found that the setup I gave it makes it so that three uses effectively signs the user's death warrant, at least while following them in the fort-mode arena perspective. It still takes a long while, but eventually the blood loss catches up with them, whereas at only two uses the effect seems to be minor enough that the odds of dying from it are negligible.

Of course, I assume that it'll be a lot less lethal in adventurer mode, given rest and fast travel will all likely mess with intermittent blood loss. But as a counterpoint, the timer is nice and long on the interaction anyway, enough that it should take a whole day at adventure-mode time length for the effect to become usable again.

And as a fun side note, I also gave each use a 25% or so chance of paralyzing the hands, which should preclude any further use of it since the interaction requires working grasp parts. Doing so should also cut off any use of other spell stuff I'm toying with, too. Nevermind on that, I was having trouble getting it to disable grasping parts reliably, let along on a non-100 prob.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 06:53:13 pm by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 09, 2020, 08:05:48 pm »

I'm finally done with getting all my mods updated, so now I can actually play the update.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Abyssmo

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Goblin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 10, 2020, 03:32:58 am »

Still working on that MH mod update but its nearly finished. It mostly took so long because not only was I working on an overhaul mod which is also close to completion, but also the villains update completely caught me by surprise, leading me to delay it to add more creatures and content. So expect a bit more MH Stories related stuff in the next update.
Along side that and Safi'Jiiva, I think people are gonna have *FUN* with this one.
All tunnels lead to Skavenblight

My mods

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 10, 2020, 04:56:42 am »

I have, at long fucking last, succeed in that failed tidbit I mentioned earlier, via rigging a second syndrome as a side effect that has a chance of removing CAN_SPEAK from the caster, keeping this I_EFFECT and syndrome separated from the stigmata and implied soul-selling. Combine with making spells verbal, this means that losing your voice from casting the spell will disable spells altogether, not to mention make life a lot harder in general.

Of course, the idea behind this spell, especially since the type of critter summoned is basically 100% guaranteed to not count as a loyal pet, is an oh-shit spell where the player is likely only going to use it when summoning something big and nasty can't possibly make the situation worse. The side effects just further enforce the expectation that you're not supposed to use the spell lightly. :3
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 10, 2020, 07:12:23 am »

Could branch out:
Summon small but guaranteed loyal (imp, devilkin?)
Summon medium (gargoyle? hellhound?)
Summon large with zero loyalty (demon/beast)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 10, 2020, 08:09:22 am »

currently designing a modded race, got some fun mishaps

First I ended up with the fire breath melting themselves, that was funny but annoying
Then I got the misfortunte of my syndrome immunities not working correctly resulting in my race dissolving their bodies when they used their venom breath

then after fixing a typo, i sent my race into the arena against 5 trolls and a trogoldyte
promptly discovered that said race still had wings from when I was experimenting with flight

i finally found another quirk, they were literally too tall for most enemies to hit above the leg

size is hard to work with
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 10, 2020, 01:13:47 pm »

Could branch out:
Summon small but guaranteed loyal (imp, devilkin?)
Summon medium (gargoyle? hellhound?)
Summon large with zero loyalty (demon/beast)

Very tempting, though I'd have to add multiple spells per secret, whereas so far I've kept to a trend of only one spell per secret, and wouldn't want infernal magic to be the sole outlier.

An alternative I was tinkering around with was to add raw-defined demons and tinker with it until they reliably, and have infernal magic either use them as the fallback instead of fire imps (so you get a small chance of a demon that will actually obey you), or else use them INSTEAD of calling for generated demons flat-out. That would make it much more controlled.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 10, 2020, 05:36:50 pm »

You know how in Jurassic World the hybrid project was hijacked from inside and turned into a bio-weapon research operation? You think people like Hoskins and Dr. Wu would have any moral claims against selling bio-engineered killing machines to whomever pays more?

Let's have a little simulation, shall we? An american recon Alankylosaurus was ambushed by a terrorist Alangasaurus while scouting a seemingly abandoned city in Terroristan. A battle ensued.

The Alankylosaurus was in the tight spot - it's slow, toothless, and its enemy is almost four times larger. Is its armored back enough to get out of this fight alive?

Alankylosaurus was victorious! It swooped down on its enemy like a glorious bald eagle! It won't come back to the base with its wounded wings, but it's still a victory for America!

Okay, I've started a new project with a working title "Dino-Hybrid Mod". It's mostly about hybrids from Jurassic World movies and games, though some dinos from JP toy lines may show up. No idea if there's a "market" for a mod like this, but I'm having fun modding again.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 11, 2020, 08:04:09 am »

My "evil but cunning" races (Dark elves, hobbits) are having are hard time with the whole circus breakthrough thing. I think it needs something as single-minded on conquering as a goblin to work properly. Even the devblog mentions trouble in early tests getting goblins to go beyond taking over just one initial site then packing it in. I can see where that comes from.

Hobbits I don't mind so much. I like that they're kind of hapless little fellas who burst out of hell, build a pub and spend their days gambling with the demon lord.

Dark elves I wish would show a bit more enthusiasm though. Will keep working on them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 08:06:52 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 11, 2020, 02:29:12 pm »

Modding's been a bit slowed due to IRL interruptions, but I more or less got the balance of spells the way I want them, and wrote a rough outline for exactly which megabeast/SMB should be linked to which theme, which demanded a lot of shuffling around the spheres of vanilla monsters to ensure each has a single specific spell they're associated with. If the feature I discovered in a much older test still works, they might occasionally be credited with handing out that spell during worldgen.

What's unfinished, and more relevant to Adventurecraft, is linking materials such that you can gain a spell by crafting a relevant magical essence from the critter in question. For megabeasts this'll be the heart, since crafting potions from them is already a standard convention in the mod. For bronze colossi this entails defining a new inorganic for them to use instead of bronze (I went with a material I named mountain bronze in reference to orichalcum meaning mountain copper, which only a few minor material tweaks), treants simply had the required material link added to their wood body material, while I had to retweak shoggoths to drop a gemstone-like core on death, instead of melting into a puddle of their slime (which will already be EVERYWHERE by the time the fight's over).

I'll have to make the resulting reaction very indiscriminate in what item type it looks for, because it's going to be accepting corpseparts (megabeast hearts don't butcher into meat for reaction-related reasons), logs (or potentially sticks split from it, or any random shit crafted from that), a metal statue (or anything you might make out of it if you dare to try to make after scrapping it). So I'll have to do what I did to get crafting from skulls working, make it look for REACTION_CLASS but be blind to item type, with its use of MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT to avoid material loops already built in.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 11, 2020, 06:58:12 pm »

Remembered this fun hack I have, rare(one in 25) caste that starts grassfires. Uses Warlord255's older Bonfire materials.
So hunting a common non-swamp, non-tropical animal may lead to you encountering a forest fire / bushfire.

[CASTE:UNLUCKY_FIRESTART_LIGHTNINGSTRIKE] "oh, we hunted <animal name>, then a bushfire started".
[POP_RATIO:4]
[MALE]
[ITEMCORPSE:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:COAL_BONFIRE]

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 11, 2020, 07:01:39 pm »

Nice. Creatures as fake innawoods anomalies/hazards are always funny.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to tinker with rigging spell stuff, testing a few things out.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 14, 2020, 06:19:58 am »

I'd say the single most useful thing I've cobbled together since the new release are healing potions. Take the shrine effect, tack it onto a liquid as a syndrome, and you're ready to party. I still need to define some reagents for the reaction instead of just lconjuring it out of thin air, and it could use a more creative name, but the potion itself works wonders. The only issue I've run into so far is that even though the effect starts immediately, the actual healing doesn't kick in for a few ticks. This isn't always a problem, but when it is it's a big damn problem. The "I need my leg back now, not in five minutes", or "That maceman isn't going to wait until I can hold a shield again" kind of problem. That said, I'm satisfied with what I've gotten out of this. It's still no substitute for not getting hit, but it's a great panic button.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've also been having fun with [I_EFFECT:PROPEL_UNIT]. It's extremely satisfying to yeet an enemy across the room, but unless the victim is naked they'll probably survive, since even cloth seems to deflect the damage caused by skidding. It's also not as effective against larger creatures, I've been using [IE_PROPEL_FORCE:500000] and that's barely enough to budge a giant, but can launch a human halfway across the screen.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 14, 2020, 08:19:11 am »

I've also been having fun with [I_EFFECT:PROPEL_UNIT]. It's extremely satisfying to yeet an enemy across the room

"Summon phantom minecart"
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 118