Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252161 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1185 on: February 18, 2020, 11:38:53 am »

It's important to note; if I run the spellcrafts mod with the necessary updates, but removing all the new entities, crashes don't happen or at least dont happen every single worldgen, more like 1 in 20 or so. It's only if I add an entity to the mix that worldgen crashes almost every time around the year 100-150

Does removing civs from your mods remove the most frequent crashes?

I've added all the usual Spellcrafts reactions to the dwarf and human entities in entity_default.txt and that doesnt cause crashes, its only adding new entities that seems to do it.

I'm going to duplicate and re-name the dwarf entity and see what happens
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 11:43:03 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1186 on: February 18, 2020, 12:12:58 pm »

Yeah removing civs seems to alleviate the crashes somewhat - so I'd guess its either a non-obvious (as in, no errorlog stuff) raw issue there, or alternatively having more types of civs produces more schemers and villains and therefore it causes whatever's causing the crash to occur sooner in worldgen compared to vanilla worlds.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 18, 2020, 02:14:01 pm »

I'm fairly sure it's based on the number of civs, rather than their exact content. I had to do a bunch of testing on the topic for Jawa Fortress. I found that any individual civ worked, but they'd crash when they were all put together.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1188 on: February 20, 2020, 07:11:02 am »

Now that specialattack_interactions can be granted by secrets, Kisat Dur can become a lot more fun. Special attacks only take effect if the attack breaks a tissue, so if you add interactions to punches and kicks, they will only take effect if you manage to break a bone with an unarmed attack.

I made a secret that causes a compounding temporary force multiplier on the victim each time you break a bone with a punch or a kick. Basically each time you break an enemy's bone, as long as you attack quickly enough subsequent attacks do increasingly more damage until you're exploding limbs with every blow.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 20, 2020, 04:30:35 pm »

Now that specialattack_interactions can be granted by secrets, Kisat Dur can become a lot more fun. Special attacks only take effect if the attack breaks a tissue, so if you add interactions to punches and kicks, they will only take effect if you manage to break a bone with an unarmed attack.

I made a secret that causes a compounding temporary force multiplier on the victim each time you break a bone with a punch or a kick. Basically each time you break an enemy's bone, as long as you attack quickly enough subsequent attacks do increasingly more damage until you're exploding limbs with every blow.
I thought that special attacks like that work when you break the skin, not when you break a bone? Nothing about CE_SPECIAL_ATTACK_INTERACTION makes me think that you choose what layer it works on.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1190 on: February 20, 2020, 05:19:28 pm »

It seems to just have to actually do proper tissue damage, rather than neccesarily outermost-layer checks. So bruising wont cause interaction effects but fracturing or chipping bones will.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 20, 2020, 06:35:44 pm »

I'm not 100% sure what the actual criteria are - maybe anything besides bruising or denting.  But since punches and kicks are blunt attacks, the only way for them to deal non-bruise damage on typical creatures (not counting those with an exoskeleton) is to break bones.  Destroying small body parts like eyes and noses might also be an option, but they generally need to be knocked out anyway for that to work.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 23, 2020, 11:48:15 am »

Currently trying to mod in stuff for my Miscellaneous Video Game Civs mod, which may end up expanding beyond civs with some ideas...

Some ideas I had were some sorts of characters/races being represented by animal people.

For example, you could play as one of King Dedede's species (not sure if I would call the race "Dedede clan" or "dream penguins"), or perhaps a Waddle Dee.

Another idea was the idea of plants from such games being added in, like Maxim Tomatoes and the like.

...I dunno why I feel like using Kirby stuff as an example. Maybe subconsciously, I want more Kirby rep in these video game mods.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 24, 2020, 03:00:03 pm »

Kirby was my very first DF modded creature.  (I gave them soft but nearly unbreakable skin, so only the impact of an attack mattered, not the cutting ability)
Hey, I wonder if you can make him suck now.  What happens if you give a negative value to PROPEL?  (Probably nothing, but worth a shot...)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 25, 2020, 05:20:17 am »

I managed to make an entity that is its own worst enemy.  As in, each subgroup within the entity winds up going to war with every other subgroup.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1195 on: February 25, 2020, 08:31:00 am »

I managed to make an entity that is its own worst enemy.  As in, each subgroup within the entity winds up going to war with every other subgroup.
Please share, sounds interesting.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 25, 2020, 09:52:39 am »

Please share, sounds interesting.
I'm not 100% sure how it works, but some notable qualities (it's an insectoid civ):

Males outnumber females 100 to 1, clutch size is 50:100 to make up for this.
Females have [PERSONALITY:AMBITION:0:90:100].  Males have [PERSONALITY:AMBITION:0:10:100].  All are fairly violent.
The only positions are hive queen, militia commander and militia captain.  All are only available to females and are SITE positions.  There is no central leadership position.
Very high civ values on POWER and FAMILY.
Most ethics, including TREASON and KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER, are ACCEPTABLE or NOT_APPLICABLE.  TRESSPASSING, however, is PUNISH_CAPITAL.

Most of the conflicts are related to territorial disputes, livestock ownership or water rights.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 25, 2020, 04:23:34 pm »

Would you be willing to post the actual raws you used for the entity positions?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 25, 2020, 04:54:42 pm »

Would you be willing to post the actual raws you used for the entity positions?

Yes, here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1199 on: February 25, 2020, 07:10:34 pm »

Trying to increase world population counts of mind flayers and beastmen, in OldGenesis this week modding. More littersize.

Just remembered that everyone doesn't have real-world animal speeds available in DF speed units.
Here's the speeds I've collected: most are brief burst speeds, some are "sustained" speeds.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:13:30 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 118