Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252673 times)

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1215 on: March 13, 2020, 02:08:16 pm »

I've finally had it with the vanilla metals' "stepladder" balancing and trying to evaluate my weapon's armor-piercing qualities based on it, so I made a bunch of new metals (iron, bronze and steel variants) with steel's shear values, but scaled down sharpness, and let them have their own blunt, elasticity and force-transfer-stuff values. Will likely throw my old "stepladder" steels into the trash and use these instead.

Also, lately I've been brainstorming about the underused industries in the game, as well as how arms and armor production in DF doesn't really convey the amount of labor it took to make these things - moreover, to keep them in good condition throughout the years; even with increased metal requirements it kinda doesn't. And it just hit me... oil, wax, sand - all of them were used for medieval equipment maintenance, and all of them are things DF has, but barely utilizes. So, new iron and steel variations will require some combinations of these materials, as well as a lot more coal than vanilla, to bring back that feel of fuel shortages DF used to have before multi-tile trees. New bronze, on the other hand, will not need that, but instead require an asinine amount of mold parts (rock/clay, nothing too demanding) - and the problem of tin being quite rare is still there too.

Of course, to counterbalance that, there needs to be some way of increasing the homegrown metal yields, e.g. from smelting ores; maybe by duplicating [METAL_ORE:metal:100] tag? New smelting reactions if that doesn't work. Otherwise there's no good reason for the player to make their own stuff, because caravans and goblinite will be better by a landslide... Or I could just be an asshole and reduce the yields from goblinite  :P
We'll see.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:15:09 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1216 on: March 13, 2020, 05:22:28 pm »

Could always add White Bronze, if too little tin in the world:

"White bronze is not actually bronze. It is an alloy consisting of a combination of copper, tin and zinc.
Tri-metal alloys are white in color, similar to bright nickel, silver or rhodium and are extremely resistant to tarnish and corrosion.
The alloy range is centered around 55% copper, 30% tin and 15% zinc."
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 13, 2020, 05:31:48 pm »

30% tin is... a lot more than my projected reactions, where it's either 20% or 7% (using bismuth). But thanks nonetheless, I'll look into it  :)
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 15, 2020, 02:27:38 am »

Any ideas what controls the writing of books which pass on secrets? I've seen only one or two in total based on all my secrets across multiple worlds. In legends mode. There's usually more than a couple necromancy books in unmodded worlds, and my secrets use the same raws and formats, but they just don't show up on a regular basis.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1219 on: March 15, 2020, 05:00:58 pm »

Any ideas what controls the writing of books which pass on secrets? I've seen only one or two in total based on all my secrets across multiple worlds. In legends mode. There's usually more than a couple necromancy books in unmodded worlds, and my secrets use the same raws and formats, but they just don't show up on a regular basis.

As far as I'm aware, writing books is entirely random.  The reason why necromancy books are more common is because necromancy secrets are more common, and that's just because each world generates a whole bunch of them.

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 15, 2020, 07:17:46 pm »

Edit: think this is better in the creatures editing thread.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 19, 2020, 05:03:19 pm »

Sometimes I just hate manual testing

DF Combat Reworked

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 20, 2020, 09:39:33 am »

Sometimes I just hate manual testing

Sadly, it's often the only way to filter for noise v signal though.

Take for example damage tests. Avoid battle royale setups to filter for attacks from side/behind, or standing v grounded as these muddy the results. Not trying to disrespect the old large group tests people have run, but I've not seen this aspect mentioned.

The best manual group method to filter these (esp getting rid of charge attack) that I could come up with was say five side 1 vanilla land-dwarves vs five side 2 modded aquatic-dwarves who were restricted to their water tile by trees. The pairings need to be spaced out enough so you dont get vision cone overlap, as if possible, you wanna not have land units dog-piling the aquatics. You use a 6th land-dwarf to observe going turn by turn.

It guarantees aquatic-dwarf front facing, every unit having 1.000 speed and the lowest amount of weirdness with the lowest level of modding req'd.

Or something along these lines.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 20, 2020, 12:44:25 pm »

Ye, it's been long overdue that I should've made some "dummy" creatures to make manual testing less of a torture. I'm usually just dreading it too much to begin with, lest do preparations on top .-.

Then again, some interesting tidbits of the combat mechanics come up in these informal tests sometimes. It's actually the first time I see the AI manage to wrestle-catch my attack; and it's pretty interesting how the AI uses charge at every odd opportunity - something that isn't as obvious in group tests, with all the noise of piling up action.

[AQUATIC] as hard movement/charge restriction is a very neat trick though, so big thanks for that  :)
DF Combat Reworked

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 02, 2020, 02:18:15 pm »

I gotta say, it does feel a little awkward erasing several months worth of work to assemble a more vanilla, lightweight version of the mod. You know, like you're accidentally erasing something you shouldn't have - that kind of feel.
DF Combat Reworked

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 04, 2020, 05:28:16 pm »

I gotta say, it does feel a little awkward erasing several months worth of work to assemble a more vanilla, lightweight version of the mod. You know, like you're accidentally erasing something you shouldn't have - that kind of feel.

The adjustment period here was a bit easier. For me a core idea has always been that an Adventure Mode mod should (ideally) be no longer than an easily navigated 1 page main menu, and each topic should try to limit sprawl.

------------------

In terms of what's going on, I've been working on making my mod as compatible to other non-crafting mods by tinkering with as few vanilla RAWs as possible, and mainly introducing additional txt files.

One idea I've had recently is renaming the vanilla halberd entry as bill/billhook or more generically, pruning hook. NPC inventory can be populated with any SKILL:AXE item drawn from the entity file. For players who like halberds as halberds, I'll add another file entry for crafting. IMO the immersion breaker has always been around the SKILL:AXE weirdness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1226 on: April 05, 2020, 01:07:17 pm »

Getting an update for the Doom part of the Horror pack rolling. Still got some quick testing to do but I should be able to release it soon.

Gnomedevourer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 05, 2020, 02:33:28 pm »

I gave tentacles to goblins and made kobolds able to speak
tried to balance a mod, once upon a time, fell and scraped my knee, ain't doing that again.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 05, 2020, 04:48:22 pm »

Tentacled goblins is a cool idea. Welcome to the forum, Gnomedevourer!
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Germanicus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 06, 2020, 02:37:44 pm »

Plan on using DF to generate my Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Setting's history, but to make it work I have to basically strip out all of the normal creatures and Civs and remake them from scratch to fit what I need. Hopefully the Necromancers don't kill my world before it can get enough of a history to be interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 118