Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252299 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1365 on: December 19, 2020, 02:40:16 pm »

Is it possible to use creature_variation to make the creature raws a bit more compact? I've been going through creature_standard.txt and a lot of tags between the races are just repeated verbatim. Have anyone tried defining a "basic humanoid" creature variation with all the tags the races in common to make raw editing more manageable/readable?

This is possible for some tags (look at my dog breeds mod for an example).

There are some tags that I don't think work in a creature variation though. I don't think you can use a lot of the body, material, tissue or color tags for example.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: December 20, 2020, 03:01:50 am »

Tried to mod in enslavement so I could sell caged invaders and use them for work. Found no way to turn hostile invaders into "animals" owned by the fortress, so I settled for making new creatures and spawning them through DFhack. Curiously, what ended up happening was the ones I sold... traveled back in time to become the rulers of my whole civilization (?)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(The second number from the left is the year in which the ruler took power.)
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: December 20, 2020, 03:51:53 am »

Seems like new things are continuing to be discovered by moders, and now we can add breaking the time stream with the power of slavery to that list.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: December 21, 2020, 06:51:20 am »

so in my brief studies of converting caged invaders I found just talking them into joining your fort might do it. though this would require getting into adventure mode and currently I have found no good set up for the game to store units to a site with out having them scatter about or break from containment.
like wise the other method I had in mind was to convert the army that about to invade before they start their invasion which would require timing and knowing when a siege was going to strike.
though what I had in mind with this process was less slavery and more 'recruiting soldiers that attacked the fort to change their ways.'

like I already found a way to recruit the leaders I figure why not find a way to recruit the army and militia as well.
though if this does get found this probably sets more up ways to play dwarf fortress pacifist style.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: January 02, 2021, 09:11:19 am »

Decided to refocus on Monstrous Manual, will probably implement character classes I think.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1370 on: January 12, 2021, 07:33:13 am »

Working on Crawl stuff - nearly got the planned wild creatures for it done. Got some stuff to release too, but I figure I should get more done before some updates.

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: January 21, 2021, 10:48:55 pm »

Decided to see how well I could live in a terrifying embark after adding an animal definition to make all creatures available for all roles, and embarking with an angel. Before long, both of the wagon pullers (a swordfish and a moon snail woman) died, and when the biome reanimated the swordfish...

Zombie fish > angel

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: January 22, 2021, 06:15:52 am »

First time modding DF. I'm planning to add some new creatures as a learning experience, starting with a proper dragon.

It now has wings, with wingarms (+bones) and wingmembranes. With a body size of 15 m3, it's 40% smaller than the vanilla dragon, for RP and balance reasons.

It's an exotic pet, with hatchling and drake stages for the first 15 years, and it can speak. I left out INTELLIGENT and CAN_LEARN though, since vanilla dwarves won't butcher and eat creatures with those tags. Downside of using PET_EXOTIC, though, is that while you can talk to one in adventure mode, you won't hear any combat dialogue in the Fortress reports log.

At least the scales can used as leather, though I'm considering adding a reaction in the leather workshop to "assemble" a scale hide or something for balancing purposes, since the dragon seems to be dropping dozens of scales.

I've also added a bunch of descriptions and colors. I've tried to keep claws and horns to be of the same colors but it appears that doing so means they'll be both referred to the same TLCM_NOUN. So instead they'll be separate. Shame.

I've also given it additional attacks. Now instead of just biting and clawing, you can also punch with the front paws, kick with the rear paws, stab with the horns, bash with the head, slam with the lower body (I'm thinking hips), body slam with the upper body, as well as whip with the neck and tail.

I had a lot of fun flinging smaller creatures with the tail and crushing heads with body slams in the Arena.

And of course the best part: nuzzling.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 06:18:51 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: January 23, 2021, 02:14:43 pm »

Decided to revive my Forthammer project. Will I finally complete a mod? We'll see, I guess.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: January 26, 2021, 11:18:53 am »

I've been lately trying to mod in my own take on halflings (even though I'm conflicted whether they fit into the mood of DF or not). I think I've got most of it working as intended after some hiccups - took some time figuring out how to make hairy feet (I don't really have other experience in modding than simple raw edits and copy-pasting). Did some cave critters too, but they're basically just underground variants of existing creatures, so nothing special there.

Currently waiting for a world to gen and see what kind of problems there's in entity positions this time.

edit: Totally forgot that I also modded in an owlbear today, just because why not. Haven't tested it yet, except briefly in the arena though.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: January 26, 2021, 10:39:35 pm »

Fixed a few bugs, but now im getting worldgen crashes again, and the occasional CTD. It's all quite frustrating.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: January 27, 2021, 12:11:53 pm »

Once more I'm starting a setting from semi-scratch for DF and other usage. I keep getting unsatisfied with my mods.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: January 28, 2021, 01:09:58 pm »

So, I modded a couple of deity curses where the target gets transformed into one of several animals. Looks like they work in world gen after all (didn't get it right at first), though maybe the results were not exactly what I intended:

Going through legends, I found a random dwarf who lived a normal life in a human town, until he accumulated a lot of gambling debts, broke up with his wife and ended up profaning a temple. The deity cursed him to assume the form of a seagull for the rest of eternity (I added NO_AGING, CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK to the transformed creatures).

Apparently he remained at his home town as after 40 years people became suspicious of the seagull that didn't seem to age (no problem with the speaking part, I assume). He fled to another town and became the enemy of several groups, tore the eyelid off a human, stole some purple yam and rat weed until 10 or so years later a human confronted him and shot him dead.

Another dwarf was cursed to be a cat who then went on to join dozens upon dozens foot races and was the victor of them all. He too was eventually forced to flee after arousing suspicion, and so on, until being struck down ~100 years later after devouring multiple bunnies and cavy boars (and ripping off a toe of a human and forcing her to flee).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: January 28, 2021, 05:42:33 pm »

The slow and horrible process of determining what the hell is breaking embarks with one particular files for my mod. Nearest that has been determined so far is that it's definitely the cave plant file, and probably the trees.

I've never had to fix such an issue before, and I hate it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: January 28, 2021, 08:48:35 pm »

So, after a long while of not really doing much DF stuff, I decided to start tackling some ideas for my Adventurecraft mod.

General summary, I started off deciding that I might as well revive the idea of crude gunpowder weapons I tinkered with for an unreleased mode, adding full support for producing it in fortress mode too.

Next came a host of misc fixes, along with the realization that the backgrounds you can select not only have a practical use (free skills whooo) but what permitted jobs the entity has affect what backgrounds can be picked. So I added a bunch more after testing which ones actually have a use. At the same time I did some rebalancing for magic availability, letting curses dole out the nastier varieties with some side effects, changing which spells are given by which beasts, and a few related tweaks. Also notable was fixing it so trolls, beak dogs, and the like can be more readily picked up as pets by the goblins in worldgen, which is fun given the pet options adventurers have now.

The next update was dominated by a silly thought that came to mind: could I rig it so that human and other civilized NPCs will treat kobold adventurers as hostile as you'd expect them to, given how kobold NPCs would consistently behave towards human or other non-cave-dwelling adventurers? Rumrusher proved to be a MASSIVE help with this, but sadly every method we discovered to try this came with downsides of some sort. So the third notable update as of late came with a change that made kobolds and their pets semi-undead to exploit some hostility behavior, but this was soon removed since I discovered later than it prevents retiring. I went with the idea of making special variant pets for kobolds so that they'd not only behave properly towards their masters, but also so they wouldn't be slaughtered by the traps infesting kobold caves. Even after undoing the hostility feature, I retained that simply so it still makes their pets TRAPAVOID.

Then finally, today's update put a lot of focus on tissue and butchery stuff (plus the second half of my efforts to tinker with kobolds). A fair few tiny critters got size buffs until they were juuust large enough to be butcherable, with obligatory fixes to their giant variants. But on top of that, came sinew and feather stuff. I finally decided to make sinew a proper tissue that can be obtained from butchery, and set it to be used for the catgut thread recipe instead of guts, allowing guts to count as meat again. And as for feathers, lot of tweaks went into ensuring all birds you can butcher will give feathers, whereas in vanilla nothing smaller than an ostrich can do so. For now it's only useful in a decoration reaction since there's not much to do with them, as I'm not sure yet whether I'd want to make arrows and bolts require explicit fletching or not. That might be too much detail for my taste.

Summary of last major changelogs since I resumed tinkering with it:
Spoiler: Update 1.95 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Update 1.96 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Update 1.97 (click to show/hide)

And current update I just now finished, updating 1.98:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 118