Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252502 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2017, 11:36:44 pm »

Finally, I have introduced proper rainbow lasers that fire in colour sequence.

Hmmmmm? Tell me the way it works. The Rainbow Dragon will be improved aesthetically then.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2017, 12:15:50 am »

Trying to work in better archer-ranger goodness with more sensible Adv Mode missile crafting.

In order to give fletchings accurate detail (a shift from the current use of any plant growth), I made feathers BUTCHER_SPECIAL:GLOB:NONE and added a doppelganger template for smaller feathers. Any procedural out of the .exe will likely pull from the glob-version MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:FEATHER_TEMPLATE. Both were given REACTION_CLASS:FLETCHINGS, so the fletching reaction can use either as reagent.

All birds have had NOT_BUTCHERABLE and SMALL_REMAINS tags removed, but they also need to be increased in body size for this to work—for example ducks have neither tag, but have low body size and don't show up as being butcherable.

Outside of rocs, titans, FBs which all pull from the GLOB version (meaning each single item stack can be used 150 times), other feathered creatures will pull from FEATHER_SMALL_TEMPLATE.

This means birds are worth 10 fletchings = 10 arrows/bolts per. There will finally be a reason to hunt fliers. This manages missile creation so it's not quite as seemingly infinite as before.

The hope is to make missile foraging a bit more interesting than before.

EDIT: Will have to revisit the bird listing again. I vaguely remember some previous adventurer capturing a bird and keeping it as a pet. I suppose any bird that was originally vermin-like will retain the NOT_BUTCHERABLE and SMALL_REMAINS tags.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:20:22 am by peasant cretin »

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2017, 01:54:49 am »

Finally, I have introduced proper rainbow lasers that fire in colour sequence.

Hmmmmm? Tell me the way it works. The Rainbow Dragon will be improved aesthetically then.

The creature has a can do interaction which uses a 'charge up' interaction that progressively adds syndromes one tick after the other, and each syndrome adds a temporary can do interaction that is one shot of a material emission that uses the appropriate colour projectile.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The timings are somewhat important, but could easily be reduced to allow more rapid fire.  If your dragon moves towards his target mid blast, you will 'loose' a colour as it will be hidden under another colour.  My interaction uses 6 colours because rainbows in MLP have 6 colours.  I know you can set up your own colour materials so I didn't provide those raws.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2017, 02:07:27 am »

Elf and Dark Elf Ranger Captain is now a site level position, so Elf Adventurers can start as locally important rangers (Dark Elves too, but they're generally not playable).

Haven't managed to actually locate a Ranger Captain yet, but upon being directed to a nearby patrol I discovered an army of giant animals the likes of which are only usually found in worldgen. Dark Elves had them too.

Haven't run into these before so I guess it's something to do with the Ranger Captain and his patrol tags (wherever he may be). Very neat anyhow.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2017, 07:42:18 pm »

Did a little more testing. Lowest size to qualify for consistent butchering is around 1700. A corpse of this sort weighs 2r.

The butchering yield from that size is exceedingly low, meaning smaller, butcherable birds like ducks, for example, will never yield feathers without some sort of fairly heavy handed workaround.

The loss is fletchings likely remain as they are (made of plant growth), but the gain is the average duck/drake will now yield 2 meat, 2 fat, and 1 skin. Much silliness, but duck leather boots are now a viable option.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2017, 08:14:34 am »

I'm very nearly done with the halloween pack - starting on the Doom monsters now. Thankfully they're rather simple - think they'll add an interesting challenge to the caverns (in contrast to the Splatterhouse monsters, which dominate the surface of the evil biomes).
Gonna be even more interesting in conjunction with my cave revamp mod, since the Arch-viles will be able to revive the demonic beings from that pack as well.

Only got the cursed Pirate and Skeleton invaders left to do afterwards - I want them both to be multi-caste and also have unique weapons. Not sure as to what weapons or castes I can give to the skellies though - a giant skeleton is pretty obvious for a caste, and so are wheels for weapons, I'm not sure what else though. Maybe a pumpkinheaded skeleton that breathes fire?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2017, 10:01:04 am »

Good idea doing Doom. I should make Half Life creatures sometime. How will you do the zombies, since they have gear and weapons?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:05:26 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2017, 11:06:01 am »

Current idea is to make them similar to underground animal people, only with metal equipment. I admittedly don't want them to be TOO immersion breaking and equipped with body armor and rifles (although I don't know if I should care - considering this mod will include chainsaw-wielding cannibals, demons with advanced tech, and skinless giants with chainsaw arms, I don't think immersion is much of a concern at this point), so I'm opting for them having the vanilla human loadouts, with the addition of chainsaws.

I'm considering making them and the other demons NOT_LIVING and OPPOSED_TO_LIFE. Would have the advantage of them not attacking each other...but then that'd also be an issue since monster infighting was a great part of Doom.

I have no idea how I'll do the Cybie rockets either. Currently they're just a solid inorganic material with high density that has a large chance of knocking you back, since being explosive isn't a thing yet.

Also if you're gonna do Half-Life creatures, make sure to do the concept art/unused ones as well - the games sure had some great stuff that didn't make the final cut.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2017, 11:10:34 am »

ZM5 - adding the [CRAZED] tag would make your monsters attack everything else, except for monsters of the same species with the tag.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2017, 11:16:05 am »

I'm aware, but that's not what I'm trying to go for, since that'd mean they'd ALWAYS attack each other (I'm making the Doom monsters into separate species so that they can each show up in different cave layers).

EDIT: I put a brain on a weapons platform.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:51:10 pm by ZM5 »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2017, 03:39:24 pm »

This week's fun times have been studying body templates and tissues. My head hurts. But at least Hobbits now have genuine thick, curly foot-hair to breed their lice in. So that's nice. Keeps their feet warm too. If I can work out how they can style their foot-hair in wild and wonderful ways, that'll be most satisfying.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2017, 03:59:00 pm »

Is the Spider Mastermind's brain as vulnerable as a normal brain?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2017, 04:27:25 pm »

Probably more than usual since it's an external body part that you can target. That said good luck coming up close to one since they constantly fire a rain of bullets.

I'm kind of at a loss at what I should do for the skeleton invaders. I want them to have multiple castes but I'm not sure what exactly. My current ideas are
-regular-sized human skeletons
-giant skeletons
-metallic skeletons
-pumpkinheads (skeletons entwined with vines and other plant matter - their heads are lit, carved pumpkins that would cause them to emit light - they'd also shoot fireballs, but also would be more rare than the other skeletons)

I'm not sure what else though. It's surprisingly a lot more difficult to think up of ideas for them than I thought it'd be, considering its just supposed to be a silly halloween thing.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:30:58 pm by ZM5 »

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2017, 07:04:33 pm »

Wouldn't evil biomes be better suited for radiation zones?

Ngl I was thinking myself of doing a Fallout total conversion mod - my gf's obsessed with the west coast Fallout games and would love that. Got plenty of other projects I gotta work on first, though.

Eh before the whole undead thing they were. In my opinion evil biomes already have plenty of stuff going for them nowdays. Good biomes don't have anything particularly unique about them in vanilla.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2017, 06:28:30 pm »

Testing out my wild dwarves in Fortress mode. They seen to be doing OK. Not too different from regular dorfs but with less friends. Mercs from the local Dwarf civ seem to filling up the tavern though, which is a bit worrying.

I see it's common knowledge that item_thief civ merchants trigger several pages of 'a thief has stolen xyz' when they leave the map. It's right there on the wiki. So I'll ignore that.

But...it doesn't seem to actually be on the bug tracker? I've searched, 'thieves', 'thief', 'merchants', 'steal', 'stolen' and there seems to be nothing. I mean, I know it's low priority as it only effects modded races but surely it's there somewhere, right? Is this another one of those 'common knowledge to everyone but Toady' issues that will never be fixed?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 118