Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252542 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1575 on: May 27, 2022, 04:01:25 pm »

Okay, so, I think I solved the clothing problem. Went ahead and changed a couple stuff as well. Made them all complete psychopaths, much more lustful and other good stuff.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: May 27, 2022, 05:06:37 pm »

You cannot define special spheres or religious beliefs, they're hard-coded. You can use the religion entity tags to give them stars as a default sphere, though, and they'll almost always generate a deity of that sphere.

Oh, I made not-deers on a whim the other night. They're large_predator deer as big as bears that shoe up to try to eat people, and have a power that makes them grow even larger and stronger. Quite deadly.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 05:16:54 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: May 27, 2022, 05:14:56 pm »

Work on a my total conversion mod continues slowly. Well, semi-slowly. I'm still bottlenecked by creatures and an overall coherent story to make what amounts to Tiberian Sun, Fallout/Metro, STALKER and a general ecological disaster story all play nice together as a setting. Like I have things slotted into place, it's just forming the right coherent narrative out of all of it that left the setting in a DF-friendly state.

I'm thinking to incentivize the construction and use of certain food production workshops, I'll have food crops be generally long-growing and a bit unpleasant when unprocessed, also because I find the idea of raw cacti and mudcakes actively making your citizens expierience deep loathing and despair funny.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: May 27, 2022, 06:53:46 pm »

You cannot define special spheres or religious beliefs, they're hard-coded. You can use the religion entity tags to give them stars as a default sphere, though, and they'll almost always generate a deity of that sphere.

Awwww myaaaaan. Oh well, star gods it is.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: June 07, 2022, 05:17:51 am »

I've just finished recreating ESO fish when High Isle expansion dropped. Oh well, it's just a few more fish, and nothing seems to be poisonous, venomous, or infused with Hist sap.
Other than that, and before I shift focus to another mod, I want to make all the creatures from Gregory Keyes novels. These, however, raise a question:
What the hell is a greem? Apparently they are something worth seeing, they live in flocks, and can be encountered in Elsweyr, so I imagine they are like fancy dodos. My first idea was to make them into quadrupedal ibises, but that wasn't really consistent with ES aesthetics. Elsweyr has glyptodonts and terror birds, Skyrim has mammoths and sabre cats, so a dodo is not too strange.

What comes later? I'm considering continuing the Jurassic World dino hybrid mod, Slay the Spire mod, or the Ravenloft thing I started a while ago and pretty much abandoned (something happened to the ectoplasm material, no idea what though) .
There's also the Miscmod (that could really use a new name). Once I get back to it, I'll merge it with the old Cavern Fauna mod. There are also demons that I started and never finished, and the Wukong monkey civilization.

Now, I promised myself not to start any more projects, but I have a plan to make a Might and Magic mod, mainly centered around games set in Ashan (Heroes V and later), because the setting has more consistent factions and dwarves as their own civiliaztion.
The civs would be: humans (including angels and celestials), wizards (humans, gremlins and genies), necromancers (humans, liches, vampires, fate spinners), elves (and sprites), dark elves (maybe even faceless?), nagas (plus wanizame?), dwarves, orcs (various castes, including goblins), demons (many castes).
There would be heroes as secrets, also somehow attainable in dwarf mode, and also the dark messiah - a necromancer variant capable of summoning the Avatar of Death.
It's still just a concept, of course, and it will likely stay that way for a while.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: July 02, 2022, 03:15:31 pm »

Just re-treading Grimlocke and Sver's steps.

Been mucking about with non-material superiority fort combats since end of 2021. With the main changes to vanilla's combat since 34.11 being 2014's tile-positional/attack-aiming momentum amplifiers versus 2016's addition of unmoderated force transfer and armor wear.

When you mute force transfer, you get 2014 but with armor wear and limb protections. That reduces armored combat to a few low contact area weapons with everything else being not useful.

10 and 20 contact areas make percussion pretty unconditional and favor the level creep advantage where Lvl14's get 2X momentum, which sort of doesnt (to me) make the most of a momentum stacking system governed by dogpile conditions.

Irrespective of succumb or repel invasion, I really didnt want to see an average athleticsim dorf handle a super gooned goblin or vice versa.

So I realized I wanted combats centered around highly regulated force transfer and with a standardized weapon system.

Fortifying muscle/sinew numbers in the material_template_default and the tissue_template_default's token [THICKENS_ON_STRENGTH] for muscle, plus scaling contact to 30-40 was a way to gatekeep damage.

Right now at force transfer soak and delivery being scaled between a strength baseline of 1500 up to 2250; and a weapon skill floor of level 3 to the ceiling of level 11.

Kinda fun to watch arena'd Lvl3 2250 brutes out-gooning the grandmasters. Is true to life.

Randomy random combat thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 03:19:34 pm by peasant cretin »

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 03, 2022, 11:45:28 pm »

Did you know you can get away with pretty much anything in text descriptions? So long as the material you're using is fitting enough, you could make something like "sacrificial infant clone" into ammunition and shoot it out of a cannon and there's no way to dispute it.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: July 13, 2022, 01:52:16 pm »

I had to rething the frequency of Elder Scrolls creatures. It seemed strange that so many (almost certainly) non-canon mounts and pets from ESO would be as common as iconic creatures such as guars and mudcrabs.
Oh, and I've also finalized Greg Keyes novels creatures, and frankly I was considering skipping a few of those. Soul-spinners and proforms play a very specific role in the soul cycle of Umbriel, which had my brain overheat. In the end I've decided to just ignore it all. Proforms are just aquatic vermin that do nothing but disgust dwarves, and soul-spinners can turn people into mindless, emotionless, yet still living husks.
Of other interesting creatures from the novels, there are the slarjei. I used the Beyond Skyrim idea of making them half-ton rodents. Josephoartigastia, a real giant rodent, weighted more than that, but a slarjei is more slender, similar to the patagonian mara in shape.

Dirtcopter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: July 13, 2022, 03:37:16 pm »

I had to rething the frequency of Elder Scrolls creatures. It seemed strange that so many (almost certainly) non-canon mounts and pets from ESO would be as common as iconic creatures such as guars and mudcrabs.
Oh, and I've also finalized Greg Keyes novels creatures, and frankly I was considering skipping a few of those. Soul-spinners and proforms play a very specific role in the soul cycle of Umbriel, which had my brain overheat. In the end I've decided to just ignore it all. Proforms are just aquatic vermin that do nothing but disgust dwarves, and soul-spinners can turn people into mindless, emotionless, yet still living husks.
Of other interesting creatures from the novels, there are the slarjei. I used the Beyond Skyrim idea of making them half-ton rodents. Josephoartigastia, a real giant rodent, weighted more than that, but a slarjei is more slender, similar to the patagonian mara in shape.

I haven't read the novels, but the Elder Scrolls has a ton of really cool stuff beneath the surface-- tons of interesting creatures and cultures that you'd never know about from playing the games unless you scour every in-game novel and environmental clue and scrap of miscellaneous dialogue for the deep lore. I like that aspect of the series, although I have to admit that some of the CHIM stuff gives me a headache. ESO may not be canon, but I can see how it would be helpful for filling out the bestiary of a mod like this.

I assume this elder scrolls mod is still a WIP? I'd be interested to see it when it's done.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 13, 2022, 06:04:40 pm »

Thats exactly what was going on in the Beyond Skyrim project; reading and interpreting every little thing to try to make renditions of the provinces as accurate to the lore as possible.

And then there was the lead modeler, who was only interested in making models that perfectly recreated what was seen in prior games (coughcoughbrumacitycough), and shot down any proposals that didnt fit with his nostalgia
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: July 13, 2022, 06:22:45 pm »

Any NPC's initial attack that has token ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK can be paired with any follow-up attack with or without that token, *but* not with any attack that has token ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK.

So for me, to differentiate weapon behavior categories, I have anti-armor percussives/force transfer-capable weapons as single action, meaning the AI will make the single action choice, but "lighter" edge weapons like swords allow for "follow up" actions (multi-attacks). In the vanilla game only the hydra runs multi-attack.

For example my sword stab and slash attacks have ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK, but not the pommel shots. This means if a sword & shield NPC chooses stab or slash with sword, they would be given a "follow up" action. If they choose anything else, it's just single action for them.

In the vanilla sense, the follow up could be shield bash, block, punch, bite, scratch, but not kick; as kick have the ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK which means they can never be paired up as a multi-attack for the AI.

Basically it's a way of making an NPC martial art. You could do say Art of 8 limbs or whatnot with this. 

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: August 03, 2022, 12:21:13 am »

Dipped back into modding for a bit after not doing it in a long time to add the Jurassic World Dominion dinosaurs and plastic army men to my creature pack.

In the process of making the army men, I made a discovery about castes and worldgen armies. The nameless non-histfig soldiers of worldgen aren't a normal split of whatever castes the civ's creature has. They're just a huge group of whatever the first caste is. The immediate implication is that all vanilla armies are comprised almost entirely of women, which seems interesting as a trivia thing.

From a modding perspective, it seems to imply that certain castes can be separated from the majority of NPCs doing the actual fighting, which could be used for some sort of caste-based civ. Maybe a demon invasion that has some big demons behind a mass of "imps" or something.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1587 on: August 05, 2022, 06:28:35 am »

The nameless non-histfig soldiers of worldgen aren't a normal split of whatever castes the civ's creature has. They're just a huge group of whatever the first caste is.
Thanks, added to my little "knowledge base".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: August 13, 2022, 06:25:02 pm »

Probably late to the party, but just discovered these AI rendering tools like Midjourney

Banner more or less ready for Steam release :)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 09:28:47 pm by smakemupagus »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: September 02, 2022, 11:16:18 pm »

[CREATURE:MANSPIDER]
   [DESCRIPTION:A human twisted into arachnid form. Vampire-like fangs protrude from its lips, its nose cut off, eight eyes encircling its skull. It crawls across the ceiling on six long disjointed arms sticking from its ribcage, but its lower body has been twisted into a bulbous spider-like abdomen, legs gone. Its skin, fat and muscles are clear. Now you will know why you fear the night.]
   [NAME:manspider:manspiders:manspider]
   [CASTE_NAME:manspider:manspiders:manspider]

I have no recollection of writing this, but it was only three weeks old, and its in the unpublished Spellcrafts raws. I must have written this. But what sick horrors did I imagine?
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 118