Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118]

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252624 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1755 on: November 14, 2023, 05:03:48 pm »

How could they vanish from the save?

Uhh. I've been making lots of sprites. And by making, I mean I drew a few and traced the vanilla layered sprites to make layered sprite sheets for a few more. Wondering if I should just remove the references to hair for paklaras or make stylized head feather sprites over the hair sprite sheets. Also wondering how the hell komengs are going to work. Hair sprites for their head plate shapes? Can I reuse the hair mechanic to link to their "shape" colors somehow? But then how would I link to the tattoo and paint colors, since the head shape is technically also a color descriptor and they're also supposed to have paint and tattoos over that. Can it use two color descriptors as arguments to select a colored shape? This is why I made that thread about sprite graphics discussions.

And made spirit wisps kill themselves after a month to make them "vanish" back into the "afterlife" because someone on steam was having a bug where they had become werewolves and even the militia wouldn't fight them for some reason. They were never intended to last that long anyway, they're supposed to be a temporary resurrection.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: November 14, 2023, 11:08:21 pm »

How could they vanish from the save?
so far from what I look into it seems like the two skeleton archer humans I resurrected was resurrected away from their unit body so the game just went 'welp time to unload them from this location'
like their historical figure data and the nemesis records seem to not have the unit data attached to them any more so on reload of the session save they just poofed.
I didn't have much of this issue once I started resurrecting the bodies right where I found them.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: December 07, 2023, 11:27:53 am »

I've been working on a mod to allow me to play coyote men by replacing the primitive version with something based on the human entity.  I took the human sprites and tweaked them to make them into coyote men.  Having the base sprites to work from was a big help, but it still took a while.

I ended up reusing some kobold armor sprites for them.

I even went the extra mile to make child graphics to see if it was possible.  It mostly is, though it's double work because you have to make all of the body parts and clothes all over again.  It's hard to see the difference at a glance, but this shows a child (above) and his mother (below):

I screwed up the color coding for clothes so most people wear red now.  I'm sure it can be fixed but I haven't looked at it in too much detail yet because the config file is over 10,000 lines long.

What sucks is that it appears to be impossible to make baby graphics work for layered creatures like this.  I made some baby graphics, but just can't get them to work:

I tried using [LAYER_SET:BABY] in the graphics config file, like used for gorlaks and other creatures with baby graphics, but it doesn't work and causes the game to start parsing the rest of the file wrong in weird ways.  I may have just done something dumb, but never could find any typo if there was one.

For children, I used the [CONDITION_CHILD] tag on the layers, which does work.  Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a [CONDITION_BABY] tag for babies.  Oddly, I tried it and the game doesn't generate any error messages for it, but [CONDITION_BABY] seems to always be true so it turned all of the adults into babies.  I'm guessing the game just fails to parse the tag and sets an internal always true condition on the layer because of it or something.

Oh well, I'm guessing this will eventually be implemented, and I'll have the graphics available when it is.  Making portraits will be a fair bit of work once that's released too.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #1758 on: December 27, 2023, 03:06:25 am »

Uploaded three new mods, links are in my signature.

Learned a lot from this forum its community and the wiki with brute force. I really enjoyed building these and I hope you do too :D
Big thanks to Eric Blank, Hugo the dwarf, Narhiril and so many others who helped me understand how this crazy world works.
Hope every one had a happy holiday

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: December 30, 2023, 04:01:27 pm »

Working on a mostly-historical inorganic chemistry mod, initially had the idea to use blocks and have orders to automatically convert alchemical rocks into blocks. Then I realized that blocks aren't affected by economic stone orders, so rebalancing time ahoy. Saves a labor step, too! Probably means upping the metal yields when smelting comes into play, and raising the value of aqua regia.
Also integrating the idea from another chemistry mod to use jugs for alchemical powders, since that also reduces micromanagement with bags being used a lot elsewhere.
I do love the ridiculous complexity of the reactions I've researched, but I think I need to smooth the road a bit.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
Mod releases

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #1760 on: April 06, 2024, 08:47:47 pm »

Goblins with some Dapper hair styles :D im very happy with this :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

this is a shot of game im testing some things in and my Goblin king shows up and he's a Necromancer !!!!!! pretty cool :D
And for some reason my goblin King is a necromancer dwarf LOL

Holy shit he brought a demon with him that is now living at my fort wtf a giant demon gopher ...... Wow amazing 😍
here just after his arrival it looks like every royal in the area is showing up now :OOO
Dannng a large necromancer army invaded my map killed a bunch of people resurrected a lot of my graveyard and then my necromancer King came out with the army and resurrected the other half and bricked my game I'm now watching One frame a second battle I'm not sure who's going to win there are tons and tons and tons and tons of corpses everywhere fighting
we won but at a heavy cost around 30-40 died including several babies that got turned into ghouls

That fight ended up being really bad it took almost 40 minutes for it to conclude and I lost a lot of people and gained a ton of ghouls I even had to retire the fort because it didn't seem like the battle was ever going to end and then when I unretired it it's all good demon and King still living there 😍😍

im getting pretty close to a release for steam(this is an update to one already on there) on this one its getting pretty crazy :DDDDD

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: April 11, 2024, 02:19:02 am »

Fishing in evil regions seems like an inherently bad idea - not only are you risking getting caught in strange weather, but there's also no chance of catching anything appropriately disturbing. This is where Dredge creature pack will come in handy.

Despite the fact that vermin anatomy doesn't matter much, I'm recreating Dredge critters as accurately as I can, which includes not only strange deformations, but also anatomical features that vanilla animals lack - fins in fish, hepatopancreas in cephalopods and crustaceans, entire jellyfish bodies and tissues.

What I didn't end up doing is giving the fish any harmful properties beyond melee attacks for large ones, and non-lethal vermin bites for some small ones. I was tempted to include some properties they display in Dave the Diver, but a part of my design philosophy is not giving players problems they have no way of fixing. An eel shooting crystal shards at dwarves that refuse to enter the ocean would only generate frustration. Similarly, some fish should be poisonous because of their rotting flesh, eldritch parasites and some more. That would require some annoying micromanagement to combat.

I imagine this mod won't find much use, considering settling near evil oceans isn't something everyone does every day. There's also the question whether I will actually finish it..

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: April 11, 2024, 09:19:16 pm »

If you dont want to pester players with poisons, you could instead make some fish inedible - dwarves refuse to eat it, because it would poison them if they did. This would still "waste" some of their fishing product, but wouldn't kill dwarves or anything.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: April 23, 2024, 07:45:02 pm »

I can't post the raws right now, but I made the wildeni, a small, good-aligned humanoid race with a complex gender system inspired by the ruffs.

They live in hillocks and caves (I did the hillocks with PLAYER_FORTRESS, so their hillocks are all blue on legends mode lol). They are usually bodied by the other races and megabeasts. But I love'em.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118]