Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252255 times)

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #360 on: January 10, 2018, 11:14:15 am »

If you want a race that is sure to be extinct after only a couple of years I can borrow you my elves. Ever since I added two dark races (namely orcs and succubi) and toyed around with their create tokens (making them a little stronger, make them use steel) the elves very reliantly die out after 20 years of worldgen. Only if they are located behin a naturaly mountain wall they seem to survive because nobody can reach them. :D

I'm now trying to come up with "high elves" that are stronger and survive longer :D

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 10, 2018, 12:34:17 pm »

Kept searching for the source of the problem. Because the 43.03 version of Jawa Fortress worked, I tried putting the raws from that into 44.03.   It still crashed, but the same raws worked in 43.03. After that, I got an idea and tried generating a vanilla large/550 year world on 44.03. It crashed too, but nearly got to completion. So then I tried generating a large/550 year Jawa Fortress world on a better computer and it worked, after one crash at around 90 years. So apparently, it may have been my computer's fault.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 10, 2018, 01:17:57 pm »

best way would be to make some lists of the combos, and then create a quick app to read those lists and build all your surcoats/shields from some templates you design.

However I'm not sure how many a civ will accept? I know sometimes you have to use the FORCED option but even at that they seem to only accept oh so many types per civ (unless i'm wrong I remember someone trying to give all vanilla items/clothes to an entity even  using FORCED but some still "dropped" off the list aka became foreign

Thanks, that does sound quicker. I guess this'll also be a bit of science.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #363 on: January 10, 2018, 03:04:17 pm »

best way would be to make some lists of the combos, and then create a quick app to read those lists and build all your surcoats/shields from some templates you design.

However I'm not sure how many a civ will accept? I know sometimes you have to use the FORCED option but even at that they seem to only accept oh so many types per civ (unless i'm wrong I remember someone trying to give all vanilla items/clothes to an entity even  using FORCED but some still "dropped" off the list aka became foreign

Thanks, that does sound quicker. I guess this'll also be a bit of science.

Also you might not need to use the more common/mainstream coding langs to make this, you could probably make a powershell script to read from text files for the lists and templates and output. Depends on what works best for you, I just fire up Visual Studio and just make a quick crap GUI with a windows form app, or some console app in Java with Eclipse

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 10, 2018, 05:43:03 pm »

Simultaneous human and dark elf invasion proves what Toady said in fotf just before release, active_season no longer dictates invasion season. That's great, means my dwarves can be invaded by minotaurs at any time without subjecting the wild dwarf civs to caravan spam every season from their bull-headed buddies.

Also was happy to receive a visit from the law-maker of the minotaurs at my wild dwarf fortress. They don't trade right now, so I was wondering if 'no trade' civs would send diplomats.

The law-maker remarked on what a nice fortress I had, shared some news, then made a beeline for my artifact display pedestals. Um...not at all suspicious...

He hung out at the statue garden for a while (apparently transfixed by our masterful statue of a cringing minotaur being struck down by a giant hyena) then went home.

Hopefully next time we meet he won't be at the head of an army demanding my stuff...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #365 on: January 10, 2018, 06:04:06 pm »

Simultaneous human and dark elf invasion proves what Toady said in fotf just before release, active_season no longer dictates invasion season. That's great, means my dwarves can be invaded by minotaurs at any time without subjecting the wild dwarf civs to caravan spam every season from their bull-headed buddies.
Oh man, I'm glad to hear that, along with the ITEM_THIEF civs no longer having the issue of their goods being counted as stolen when traded away.

This gives me some ideas for more playable fort mode races, that belong to one of the other factions instead.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 10, 2018, 10:12:01 pm »

Now that caves are no longer obnoxious dens of "identify yourself!" screaming critters, I'm going to flesh out my troglodytes a bit. Right now there's not much to them. Baby snatching cave dwellers. But maybe I'll give them all evil creatures too. Or perhaps make them exclusive breeders of Dark Hippos. That could be Fun.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #367 on: January 11, 2018, 04:15:11 pm »

I'm now trying to come up with "high elves" that are stronger and survive longer :D
Adding natural_skill to them? Or better physical and mental attributes? Or perhaps learn combat skills 15 times faster?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 12, 2018, 05:17:54 am »

Yes that would be one way to go, I have yet to figure out if create changes like strength affect civilization development during worldgen.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #369 on: January 12, 2018, 06:10:13 pm »

Thinking of some more playable fort mode races. Mostly Draenei and Gnomes come to mind, since both have atleast some gimmicks that I could think of. Former could use gems to make the crystalline-type weapons that TBC had - would be much stronger against demons, though Draenei themselves would probably be weaker against any sort of "evil" metals themselves - saronite, demonsteel, felsteel.
For the latter I think a gimmick of making metal gears, cogs and other such stuff for combining with weapons to make stronger, mechanical ones could be good - steam-pistols, mechano-crossbows with higher velocity shots plus specialized ammo, buzz-swords, saw-spears that cut through stuff easily, etc.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 15, 2018, 07:51:35 pm »

I got the heraldry but I don't fucking want to finish this alchemy system. I am having to work out and add so many fucking materials and interactions and reactions and read so many medieval alchemical texts to get a really good idea of all the shit involved in this shit and it's dense and overly poetic and I have little enough free time as it is with my fucking full time job fuck

But at the same time a full deep roughly historically based alchemy system with potions and recipes and the ability to eventually create a philosopher's stone would be so fucking cool but I just don't fucking want to continue working at it.

Is this what real modders feel like when they're making big supermods?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:56:02 pm by Dunmeris »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #371 on: January 16, 2018, 06:00:34 am »

I think thats how I felt when I was doing some of the larger multi-caste, multi-material races.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 16, 2018, 01:31:35 pm »

Same here.

*Try listening to music while you work.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:42:33 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 17, 2018, 06:27:49 am »

Hobbit invasion!

That's great because they hardly ever attack other sites in worldgen. I'm just over the hills from a city of over 10,000 of the nasty little beasts. Thought they might make a good raid target.

Siege trigger of 1 means I'm totally unprepared. Let's see how much damage they can do...  :)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 17, 2018, 01:37:43 pm »

I finished the Half Life animals. Now to do the Combine, Xen army, and HECU, with their various vehicles and pets. I'd like to do the Resistance and Black Mesa as well. Any ideas for what might make Black Mesa interesting to play in Fortress Mode?
My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 118