Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252448 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #570 on: May 25, 2018, 08:18:56 pm »

Speaking of, it seems allowing anacondas to grapple with their tails doesn't make them any less pathetic when tagged with a titan tooth spear...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 25, 2018, 08:31:48 pm »

Part of the discrepency is probably that all animals share the same skin/muscle/fat/bone tissue ratios and bodypart relsizes and attribute values that humans have, when in reality thats not the case; some species just pack more muscle and less fat per cubic centimeter than humans do. So df is treating every animal like its just a different-sized quadrapedal human.
You could make them more muscular (increase the ratio of muscle vs skin and fat), give them higher average strength values, and maybe low natural skills to compensate.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 25, 2018, 08:47:26 pm »

Part of the discrepency is probably that all animals share the same skin/muscle/fat/bone tissue ratios and bodypart relsizes and attribute values that humans have, when in reality thats not the case; some species just pack more muscle and less fat per cubic centimeter than humans do. So df is treating every animal like its just a different-sized quadrapedal human.
You could make them more muscular (increase the ratio of muscle vs skin and fat), give them higher average strength values, and maybe low natural skills to compensate.

Ah.

IIRC size magnifies everything else (ie. large dwarf ragdolls average human, can meet grappling STR for some night trolls), so for "giant" animals perhaps that'll be enough.

I'd been thinking maybe this to start:

[NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:7]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT:1]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:2]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:TRACKING:3]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:SNEAK:3]

And having say 3 tiers, skill lvl 2 = adequate, skill 4 is skilled, skill 6 is talented = you get a night trollish animal biter. But yeah, pretty undecided about it all.

Don't even recall/know if the sneak/tracking will impact game play. You always find the historical animal before it finds you.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #573 on: May 28, 2018, 11:15:30 am »

He he he he. I forgot how fun modding can be once you're in your element.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 28, 2018, 01:09:13 pm »

That first one has me firmly imaging a three headed minecraft creeper with snake eyes

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #575 on: May 28, 2018, 02:19:25 pm »

Nah, its definitely not supposed to be that - just a mutated snake.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #576 on: May 28, 2018, 11:50:41 pm »

Speaking of, it seems allowing anacondas to grapple with their tails doesn't make them any less pathetic when tagged with a titan tooth spear...

Snake tails are very small though.  Allow them to grapple with their bodies instead.  Nothing will break that grip.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 29, 2018, 10:59:46 am »

Snake tails are very small though.  Allow them to grapple with their bodies instead.  Nothing will break that grip.

Does grip strength actually have anything to do with body-part size though? Last I checked the only factors were overall creature size, strength, and wrestling skill (with the first factor being disproportionately important).

EDIT: No, t͎͈̟̼͈͉h̹̠̫é̼̮̜̹͇y̨͈̯̱ ̸̮͎̹̳̲̹d̫͕̤̥̹͚͠ͅo̱̝n͇̤̰̪͙'̢̮̟̼̻ͅt̩͚̳̜͎͕̖.̘̳

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:08:44 am by Random_Dragon »
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 01, 2018, 03:24:26 pm »

Making some long overdue changes to how i handle materials in all my mods. Gotta put them in a creature instead of organics, ive been lazy. Too many forgotten beasts made of weird things...
It takes a long ass time and i cant decide what i want the creatures to be, if anything. Does a monster that includes all of the materials in a mod like my regional interactions and creatures make a good megabeast? Would that many poisons be overdoing it?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:27:07 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Aurum System

• Bay Watcher
  • (Gai, and others) (They/Them collectively)
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 01, 2018, 05:14:44 pm »

Yes, it would make a good megabeast. :V

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #580 on: June 01, 2018, 06:32:33 pm »

Making some long overdue changes to how i handle materials in all my mods. Gotta put them in a creature instead of organics, ive been lazy. Too many forgotten beasts made of weird things...
It takes a long ass time and i cant decide what i want the creatures to be, if anything.

You can leave custom materials that make sense as an INORGANIC by just adding [SPECIAL] this won't make them Candy Spires or Circus Floor, as both [DEEP_*] Tags make use of [SPECIAL] this ensures civs and RNG stay away from that material. For me it's normally Quick Silver (Mercury) or thinks like Oil of Vitriol (Sulfuric Acid) altho a FB made of acid would sound cool, it'd be too weak to be of use

But if you do have stuff that is supposed to be organic (Flesh, meat, etc) it's better to put it in a creature. For me it just eases my paranoia that something won't get stockpiled correctly, or used in a job right. I know the tags like IMPLIED_ANIMAL_KILL and some STOCKPILE_ options are there, but I feel better if I can just setup a creature to house materials, Plus if I'm making fire-proof stuff I can just do SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL and tweak the TEMP settings
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:34:04 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 01, 2018, 06:37:57 pm »

I saw Solo and finished with working on Zoo Tycoon. Time to get back to updating my mods here.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 03, 2018, 06:11:30 am »

I added six different schools of martial artists that massively boost a single stat when learned, and depending on the stat boosted the player can choose to adopt a certain fighting style. The focus-oriented school would be good for a ranger, for example, while the strength-oriented school would be good for a hammer-user or wrestler, and so on.

Yes this works in fortress mode as well as adventure mode. If you steal a slab, you can have your dwarves (or whatever race you play as) read it and start a martial artist dojo.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #583 on: June 03, 2018, 06:53:38 am »

Wandering monster: a human of martial arts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note the    [LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES] --new with 0.42.xx: wild creature can join a civilization.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 03, 2018, 11:24:52 am »

That's...interesting actually. Only problem I see if it is there is no real mechanical difference between the two types of kicks, and they seem to have no difference from normal kicks except for not being slower than the norm.

Punches also seem to have no change except a smaller contact area, which I think is a straight upgrade in the same way that smaller contact area is generally good for weapons.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 118