Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252279 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #630 on: August 02, 2018, 03:36:10 pm »

The P&F Mod has always been a junk assemblage that resembles a 5-year old's first pasta studded collage, where everything is tacked on. It also has unintentionally comical results from misunderstanding inorganics, like your adventurer finding pools of green tea near sewer openings in the day, wondering why they were there, and then later, on the way back from the catacombs, finding that those pools had frozen into green tea floor grates, now covering those very openings at night. In the same world, there was that sausage statue of humans at a temple.

So, over the past weekend, having had the idea to put in chocolate, I was led to the sweet pod raws (milled sugar and extracts), and there I actually learned something, instead of stumbling about in my usual modding haze: I could shift as much of the food/drink reactions from inorganic to plant, to avoid a world where some of the inorganics chosen for town building aren't meat stew.

So yup, plenty of clean up.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 02, 2018, 03:50:37 pm »

Currently testing a new rebalance for ranged weapons. By design, bows now will loose velocity from heavier (e.g. silver) projectiles, but have a constant momentum, while crossbows will have a constant velocity, but gain momentum from heavier projectiles.

Although I've run all the calculations using the ranged momentum formula from the wiki, it would be really handy to have some way of measuring the precise momentum in the game - you never know which values DF may be rounding up and in what direction. Also, I'm not sure if the projectile's velocity has any actual effect on combat, when the momentum is constant.
I would bet someone made a dfhack plugin that can measure velocity of objects, just to measure velocity and momentum of minecarts. try the dfhack thread maybe?
Presumably velocity measures only travel time, so long as the objects mass makes up for the difference in momentum, so if a projectile moves too slowly, maybe it will miss just because the target is no longer there? idk if things can be that slow, though.

I'm fighting with making a fish vermin with dozens of castes that each must be made of a single material with a syndrome attached to it, for spellcrafts purposes. So each one needs to have its own material and tissue defined, needs to have a unique ID etc. Its a pain in the arse tbh but fish items inherit their caste's name with no further modifiers which makes it easy to ensure the name is correct. Meat items want to be called "[species] [material] chops" and thats just annoying to work with.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #632 on: August 02, 2018, 05:18:07 pm »

Yeah MEAT is annoying like that with the whole "creature_name material_name" + optional "meat_name"

You can make your life easier by making a CV that adds a new meat material with a _suffix plus a tissue that also comes with a _suffix followed by a [TISSUE_MATERIAL:meat-id_suffix] then layer the meat tissue.

Then layer on you can just use SELECT_MATERIAL:MUSCLE_SUFFIX and add your syndromes to it.

example (which you can probably use as is)

Code: [Select]
Arg1 is the suffix
[CREATURE_VARIATION:ADD_SUFFIXED_MEAT_TISSUE_LAYER]
--create suffixed material and tissue, and assign tissue material
[CV_NEW_TAG:USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MUSCLE_!ARG1:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE]
[CV_NEW_TAG:USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:MUSCLE_!ARG1:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE]
[CV_NEW_TAG:TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:MUSCLE_!ARG1]
--Layer suffixed muscle
[CV_NEW_TAG:TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:MUSCLE_!ARG1]

you'd use it in the caste like:

Code: [Select]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ADD_SUFFIXED_MEAT_TISSUE_LAYER:TOXIC]
which would make the meat material MUSCLE_TOXIC, make the tissue MUSCLE_TOXIC which then instantly uses the new material. And then layers everything with MUSCLE_TOXIC

then at the end you can just use [SELECT_MATERIAL:MUSCLE_TOXIC] --Add syndromes here
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:24:42 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 02, 2018, 05:35:19 pm »

Ill give that a try, if nothing else it would reduce the size of the file overall.

It definitely works, thanks. The game doesnt seem to have a problem with that many castes or anything which is nice.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:19:08 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 06, 2018, 05:25:48 pm »

While I was never able to get animal milk booze to populate tavern barrels (seems all Adv Mode alcohols are pulled from plant raws), I did get taverns to sometimes provide generic coffee, generic tea and hot chocolate.

Originally I had varying types of coffee/tea as plant extracts for adventurer crafting reactions, but taverns don't use extracts, so everything is once again a drink.

Also a very odd thing happened in a test world where a marksdwarf was world-genned with an equipment item from ENTITY:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES, despite being from ENTITY:MOUNTAIN. Definitely odd.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 06, 2018, 08:14:36 pm »

For some reason, I spent a while tallying up creature diversity in every biome. If somebody wants to read over the results, here they are.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hadn't realized just how many more types of creatures there are in most Savage biomes before.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 07, 2018, 05:43:30 am »

is there a way to allow a creature to mine without having a pickaxe equipped?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #637 on: August 07, 2018, 05:58:14 am »

Invader creatures and cave creatures can not dig. It's a citizen labor, invading army cannot dig. Yet.
It's a design decision that only pick-using citizens can dig.

In my modding, I'm racking up TODO entries...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For some reason, I spent a while tallying up creature diversity in every biome. If somebody wants to read over the results, here they are.
I hadn't realized just how many more types of creatures there are in most Savage biomes before.
GIANT variants account for most of the savage creatures, I suppose. Giant versions of tiny insects too.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:00:44 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 07, 2018, 06:01:32 am »

Invader creatures and cave creatures can not dig. It's a citizen labor, invading army cannot dig. Yet.

Wasn't there a way to do digging invaders through dfhack or did I imagine that?

Really puts a damper on antman fort if they have to use pickaxes :( shame

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 07, 2018, 12:20:36 pm »

Wasn't there a way to do digging invaders through dfhack or did I imagine that?

Really puts a damper on antman fort if they have to use pickaxes :( shame
*ahem*.  No idea if it still works, but I was considering using it myself at some stage, so tell me how it goes.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Abyzou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 08, 2018, 09:25:45 pm »

So because I'm a huge anime nerd (and after being inspired by Putnam's fantastic DBZ Mod) I've set about creating several mods based on various anime. Most of these are just beings/creatures added to the raws, but I'm also planning at least one total conversion mod.

The first thing I made was an Elfen Lied mod that gives dwarves/humans an extremely rare Diclonius caste with extra body parts (vectors - made of slade!) that can tear enemies apart. And a random chance to give themselves a syndrome making them CRAZED  :D

After testing in the arena, I find that they can wipe the floor with groups of up to four unarmed humans without injury (though groups larger than 6 do result in the Diclonius getting injured - and a large enough group will eventually kill them). I'm trying to think of how to make them more lethal while still keeping them faithful to the source material (e.g. no super strength or cotton candy skin or anything like that).

Edit: Ok so after tripling the number of vectors, and adding [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:10000], [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:10000] and [ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK] to the vector attack, my Diclonius has become far more deadly in combat, able to reduce crowds to minced meat in moments. Unfortunately she's still vulnerable in melee - in one arena test run a human killed her with a lucky punch to the upper body. The main issue is she has to be right next to her target to use her vectors (whereas in the anime/manga the vectors were long enough to kill from a certain distance). Oh well...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:54:55 pm by Abyzou »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 08, 2018, 10:56:00 pm »

Just found out the MEANDERER tag ruins war animals. That's unfortunate, I'll have to patch my mods to account for that.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #642 on: August 09, 2018, 05:20:54 am »

The main issue is she has to be right next to her target to use her vectors (whereas in the anime/manga the vectors were long enough to kill from a certain distance). Oh well...
A breath attack that does a little stun, and the breath attack can be used every other turn?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Abyzou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 09, 2018, 05:35:15 am »

The main issue is she has to be right next to her target to use her vectors (whereas in the anime/manga the vectors were long enough to kill from a certain distance). Oh well...
A breath attack that does a little stun, and the breath attack can be used every other turn?

Well... I'm trying to remain as faithful to the anime/manga as possible, and a ranged breath attack wouldn't accurately replicate the effect (the vectors are supposed to be like physical limbs, not projectiles/beams/etc. They have to physically grab and rip things apart). Also a breath attack would leave residue everywhere.

My overall intention was to have the Diclonius be pretty much unbeatable in melee (except against another Diclonius), but could be taken out by ranged weapons (e.g. crossbow bolt to the brain :D ).

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #644 on: August 09, 2018, 04:03:43 pm »

can make the "breath" attack just a direct interaction that just stuns for a sec to allow them to get in range
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 118