Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 246759 times)

Abyzou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #645 on: August 09, 2018, 04:52:19 pm »

can make the "breath" attack just a direct interaction that just stuns for a sec to allow them to get in range

That could work. It's not an ability they're supposed to have, but I suppose I have to take some creative liberties to make it work  :-\. I also had to add NOEXERT to stop her from getting tired out from using her vectors.

On the plus side, my Diclonius is an absolute Terminator even without a stun ability, sending opponents flying across the arena with a single blow.

Edit: Worked like a charm. The Diclonius is now totally invincible in melee combat - anything that gets within one tile of them is instantly paralyzed, and open to attack. Your only real hope of killing one is with ranged weapons (or getting it to accidentally dodge off a cliff or into magma etc...).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:48:21 pm by Abyzou »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #646 on: August 10, 2018, 03:31:34 pm »

I think OldGen's mind flayers could use that direct interaction, could you share the successfully tested one?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Abyzou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 10, 2018, 05:10:26 pm »

I think OldGen's mind flayers could use that direct interaction, could you share the successfully tested one?

I kind of just went with an interaction that inflicts a paralysis syndrome for a short amount of time. I'm not sure what it means to "stun" someone with an interaction.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It seems to suit my purposes just fine, and stops non-Diclonius opponents from killing the Diclonius in melee - leaving ranged attacks the preferred option.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 11, 2018, 03:17:46 pm »

Well... I'm trying to remain as faithful to the anime/manga as possible, and a ranged breath attack wouldn't accurately replicate the effect (the vectors are supposed to be like My overall intention was to have the Diclonius be pretty much unbeatable in melee (except against another Diclonius), but could be taken out by ranged weapons (e.g. crossbow bolt to the brain :D ).

Perhaps you could just take ticks off the ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3?

At 1:1 an opposing melee unit would never get a chance to respond. A ranged unit (depending on skill) would have 1-2 shots at 20 tile distance before the Diclonius gets to vector-maul them.

Abyzou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 11, 2018, 04:17:27 pm »

Well... I'm trying to remain as faithful to the anime/manga as possible, and a ranged breath attack wouldn't accurately replicate the effect (the vectors are supposed to be like My overall intention was to have the Diclonius be pretty much unbeatable in melee (except against another Diclonius), but could be taken out by ranged weapons (e.g. crossbow bolt to the brain :D ).

At 1:1 an opposing melee unit would never get a chance to respond. A ranged unit (depending on skill) would have 1-2 shots at 20 tile distance before the Diclonius gets to vector-maul them.

I did that. It seems to work fine against single enemies. Not so much against crowds - the Diclonius usually gets injured against groups larger than six (sometimes fatally). So I feel the stun attack is still necessary.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 11, 2018, 07:51:44 pm »

I did that. It seems to work fine against single enemies. Not so much against crowds - the Diclonius usually gets injured against groups larger than six (sometimes fatally). So I feel the stun attack is still necessary.

Ah. I must have misread. Sorry about that.

But yeah, NPC combat AI sucks: if NPC can path to enemy, then path followed by targeting for attacks of opportunity(!)/adjusted for armor_level. Ignore all else -_-

I had mucked around with making an animal god, and it kinda needed the slade skin & legendary skill sets along with the 1:1.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #651 on: August 13, 2018, 05:02:51 pm »

Updating a mod, I had a crash in the first few years of world gen.  To locate the problem, I first deactivated my files one at a time, then added back the creatures from that file one at a time, then changed each mildly nonstandard token one at a time.  Apparently world gen doesn't like pets with the LIGHT_GEN tag.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #652 on: August 14, 2018, 06:08:13 am »

Apparently world gen doesn't like pets with the LIGHT_GEN tag.
Good find. I have glowfrogs with pet_exotic that aren't pets very often. And a light_gen dwarf caste (pyrokinetic forge masters, Obsidian Clan).

I had worldgen crash from hyena male and female castes being declared twice. The "finalizing sites" stage crash. http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10548#bugnotes
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #653 on: August 15, 2018, 07:09:44 pm »

Finished up a beta for generalized materials, and the framework to support it (fk you tissue_cloning, I have surpassed you. Thanks CVs I wish I experimented with you sooner)

Also streamlined some creatures, with the help from other fellow modders, shout out to NewtonSolo who is also streamlining plants.

Now I'm thinking of streamlining and adding more blobs/slimes.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 17, 2018, 08:23:25 am »

Evidently the binary gods don't like it when you try to make something yield divine metals and give you magma instead, and if you happen to be using a wooden craftsman workshop to test the reaction... I have learned that divine metals as outputs get you burned down buildings.

Upside is I have a building and some new materials and reactions sorted. Hopefully.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #655 on: August 17, 2018, 11:50:39 am »

Working on the BFA content update - very nearly done with the Zuldazar end of the wild creatures, just got two more left on that front.
Actually pretty excited to work on the Kul Tiras stuff since the wicker constructs from it are more my style, along with the weird half-plant versions of animals. Then it's just the civilized races and megabeasts which is actually gonna be pretty fun.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 17, 2018, 11:47:11 pm »

Got essence fish critters working it seems. Got wizards spewing their gasses around hopefully. Reduced the size of the wizard syndrome so it only can teach a small selection of spells, but they get a few more spells all to themselves for making critters companionable and able to speak and learn. In the next version hopefully you can start as a wizard with a familiar and immediately teach them how to speak and learn. Its kind of overpowered, but the natural wizard creatures are supposed to be overpowered, theyre not mere mortals with some hat tricks. Kinda like in Tolkien literature. But extremely fragile. So theyre kinda mortal

Hat tricks is all the game really gives at the moment, or so it sometimes seems.

So their evil counterparts, evil sorcerors, i wanted to work on too. They have some relatively powerful elemental spells to attack with, but otherwise are simply little men with a megabeast tag. An adventurer could just get a lucky shot and bean them with a fluffy wambler from a distance.

And in my fort there was this one critter, just a dumb animal in a pasture, that would occasionally cast a spell on itself. Not while it was in combat or anything, and i have no idea how it could have gotten hold of a magic essence or anything. And i was never visited by a wizard. Not even one of my dwarves knew magic because i hadnt been testing those reactions. But here gobbles the fucking magic turkey.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #657 on: August 18, 2018, 01:19:48 am »

And in my fort there was this one critter, just a dumb animal in a pasture, that would occasionally cast a spell on itself. Not while it was in combat or anything, and i have no idea how it could have gotten hold of a magic essence or anything. And i was never visited by a wizard. Not even one of my dwarves knew magic because i hadnt been testing those reactions. But here gobbles the fucking magic turkey.

What is the usage hint that is just randomly casts stuff? I've been dying to find a way to make interactions that trigger now and then or close to when I want them too for awhile now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 18, 2018, 06:32:14 pm »

That one i think is clean_self dependent.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 19, 2018, 04:42:06 pm »

I took over the Necrothreat mod. In the process, I added motorcycles in anticipation of the new Adventure Mode mounts.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 118