Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 246792 times)

Lethildiren

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Master of the Echo Bazaar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #660 on: September 20, 2018, 12:54:59 pm »

He-llo. First post (well, on this forum; I've poked around the DF Subreddit before, at least), and a rather belated one at that, but my current modding endeavor has run into a roadblock that I can't solve on my own, so I might as well. (I was going to have to pop up to post it here, anyway, so-- ha.)

Anyway. So, I'm trying to make a mod adding in a new type of creature based off of humanity, with its own unique (flimsy) tissue and material layers. (You'll probably be able to guess the inspiration looking at the creature names in a second, of course.) Most of the new creature has gone swimmingly - their unique interactions work, their castes work, even their blood and corpses turning to dust in the air works perfectly. And then I load their raws up in any way, from the arena to worldgen, and this happens:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As I'm reasonably sure I applied all the new tissues and materials properly, I'm not quite sure what's going on and will need help from someone slightly more experienced than me. If you can make do with just the error messages, that's great, but I can also supply the actual files if they're needed.

I'm sorry, this is for funny anecdotes, isn't it? Uh.

Well, I made a skeletal machine gun last night. I think that counts for something.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:04:12 pm by Lethildiren »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 20, 2018, 01:52:51 pm »

It looks like you might have made a typo somewhere on the names of tissues defined versus where they're called for placement in the body detail plan. like maybe you defined a tissue called SKIN_MONSTROUS but in the detail plans you told it to look for one called SKIN_ONSTROUS or something. The program doesnt like typos, so I'd check for that first.

My own modding endeavors have made the next release look more and more distant, as I appear to be digging myself a bigger hole as I become more ambitious. I need to stop this somewhere.
One of the users requested that the mod be more openly modular in itself, that not all parts be necessarily installed simultaneously, and I thought that would be an easy enough thing to ensure, but as soon as reactions and entities and items become involved each file starts to become more and more dependent on the others, so I've only gotten as far as separating out the files that are necessary for everything else to function, the files that then work stand-alone from one-another so long as those base necessities are in place, and tossed the entities and reactions and stuff in their own bin where organization is becoming a pain in the ass. And while this is all good for modularity it's terrible for user friendliness because someone who doesnt understand how raws work at all will need special instructions that must themselves be easy to find, so they can install just the parts they want, if they dont want to go with the "just dump everything in the objects folder" option which of course has to be included. So the file structure for the modular option has to be carefully curated, and I'm a lazy git and have no skill whatsoever in planning or organizing anything so of course this takes forever.
And on top of that the need to modify vanilla game files to incorporate support for the mod better becomes more and more attractive, but that opens up the gateway to mod inter-compatibility hell that I always want to avoid, and users dont want to have to touch the raws themselves to fuse my mod with someone elses, and providing clear instructions for how to do that, especially for someone who doesnt understand the raw file structure themselves, is a nightmare.

I did successfully turn livestock into useful magical creatures/"enchanted furniture" in fortress mode, which is nice. But there was a crash occurring intermittently about that time in both modes of play that I havent sourced yet. I double checked the raws I was working on and they appear to be up to snuff as far as I can tell, but that just means its something I havent seen that's causing the crash which will be a bitch to find, again. Especially since the crash isnt exactly replicable, it's just happening apparently at random from what I can tell.

I want some mtn dew and doritos right about now. maybe a rubber ducky to talk to.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:56:57 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lethildiren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 20, 2018, 02:20:12 pm »

It looks like you might have made a typo somewhere on the names of tissues defined versus where they're called for placement in the body detail plan. like maybe you defined a tissue called SKIN_MONSTROUS but in the detail plans you told it to look for one called SKIN_ONSTROUS or something. The program doesnt like typos, so I'd check for that first.
No dice; everything (except the hair tissue, which was missing a "_T" I chucked at the end last night to differentiate it from the material) is exactly the same as the definitions in the files.

Manually defining everything from skin to cartilage didn't help, either - and, as VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS should cover everything the creature has, there's no good reason to change it. I am completely lost.

Well, at least it doesn't crash when I load the game.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 20, 2018, 02:34:04 pm »

vertebrate_tissue_layers is looking for tissue layers with the vanilla names in most of the parts it defines, you'll have to write your own new detail plan asking for the renamed tissues or leave the tissue names identical to the normal ones. that's probably the issue then
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lethildiren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 20, 2018, 03:00:52 pm »

Oh holy fucking shit it was the hair tissues the whole time and I didn't realize. Aaarrrgggghhhhh.

I fixed it.

Now I just need to finish off entities and stuff, and I might have something vaguely release-worthy. Huh.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 21, 2018, 05:40:22 pm »

Been playing around with golems. They're 100k sized versions of Toady's element men. Varieties are the folklorish clay and mud, plus two nods to Kingdom of Loathing in a meat golem and a hedge golem.

Partially inspired by Hugo_The_Dwarf's New Mod Ideas thread and the old immolation tackle attack from the now defunct MUD Grendel's Cave, I added in a primary tackling attack for golems:

Code: [Select]
[ATTACK:PUSH:BODYPART:CATEGORY:BODY_UPPER]
[ATTACK_SKILL:WRESTLING]
[ATTACK_VERB:tackle:tackles]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:200]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:4:4]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK_FLAG_BAD_MULTIATTACK]

It trains wrestling (though that's moot as these golems can't learn), but works like a strike:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Since a tackle is a collision/charge, I figure it needs the 4-prepare to start up, and a 4-recover to wind down, and can't be used as a multi- attack without penalty. 200 as ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER has been working well enough as it can be a kill-shot. In an arena mode test, a meat golem collided with/killed a 500k body sized centaur with a tackle.

Kinda thinking about giving this to the regular adventurer types (human/dorf/elf/gobbo/gnome/halfling), minus the ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER. Not quite sure about NPC AIs having their attack menues loaded up with yet another attack, that will be the least good choice, given their penchant for attack of opportunity on non-vital targeted body parts.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 22, 2018, 04:17:15 pm »

A person really has to start modding DF before they can have a true appreciation of how profoundly unfinished it is. That is when it really hits you that things like "people spitting" and "necromancers" are merely illustrative examples of what the engine is capable of doing.

I was modding in a race with horns, and I thought to myself that, well, these horns should be used for butting instead of the more usual goring. That got me to thinking: why can't every creature with a head be capable of a headbutt? And there's no real reason they can't--it's just not something that's actually in the game. Development focus is on making an environment capable of doing all this stuff, rather than the stuff itself.

Anyhow, I'm not griping. It's active, long-term development, and that's all fine. In fact, it's really very admirable that the game is in any kind of playable condition at all, considering that there is major development planned for a decade out from now.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #667 on: September 22, 2018, 05:40:02 pm »

Been playing around with golems. They're 100k sized versions of Toady's element men. Varieties are the folklorish clay and mud, plus two nods to Kingdom of Loathing in a meat golem and a hedge golem.

Partially inspired by Hugo_The_Dwarf's New Mod Ideas thread and the old immolation tackle attack from the now defunct MUD Grendel's Cave, I added in a primary tackling attack for golems:

I have also made these attacks too:

Code: [Select]
[ATTACK:ELBOW_STRIKE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER:BY_TYPE:JOINT]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:strike:strikes]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:1500]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]

[ATTACK:KNEE_STRIKE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:LEG_LOWER:BY_TYPE:JOINT]
[ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:strike:strikes]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:4:5]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:2000]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]

[ATTACK:SHOULDER_TACKLE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_UPPER:BY_TYPE:JOINT]
[ATTACK_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT]
[ATTACK_VERB:tackle:tackles]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:5000]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:4]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:5000]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]

[ATTACK:LOWER_ARM_BASH:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:ARM_LOWER]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bash:bashes]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:50]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:2:2]
[ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:1250]
[ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]

You can probably tweak the prepare:recovery but should work for most means

Amdy_vill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 25, 2018, 12:43:51 pm »

I am currently working on giving all animals realistic birth rates by making more female caste with different ranges. I am working on renaming all creature to have more complex names(toad is now common toad), and lastly i am working on adding more things.I am adding more creatures currently dinosaurs. my plane for this mod is to make a mod with more realistic items and creature with an expanded wild life selection.
I come from the Past where we have no knowledge of how to play Dwarf fortress.

vettlingr

• Bay Watcher
  • Þjóðalfur
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 25, 2018, 01:34:12 pm »

And lots of other things

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #670 on: September 25, 2018, 05:14:35 pm »

Very nice - dunno if I'm the only one, but to me it looks like its doing the "angry mom with hands on her hips" pose.

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 25, 2018, 09:06:24 pm »

Very nice - dunno if I'm the only one, but to me it looks like its doing the "angry mom with hands on her hips" pose.
You were the only one.

Now I can't unsee it.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 25, 2018, 09:12:06 pm »

You were the only one.

Now I can't unsee it.
same

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 25, 2018, 09:32:25 pm »

You were the only one.

Now I can't unsee it.
same
me too. also, pyramid.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 25, 2018, 09:43:18 pm »

To me it looks like it’s putting its hands behind its head as if lying on the floor.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 118