Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 246733 times)

Jerry The Hellbound

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional "Knife-ear" torturer 1-800-elfgod
    • View Profile
    • This is also for my Custom Race: Solari!
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #690 on: November 17, 2018, 01:21:16 pm »

Crashing. Lots of them.
Specifically crashing when entering towns. Anyone know what's happening?
Jerry.
This is also for my Custom Race: Solari! (Currently outdated)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155455.0
Also made that awesome avatar. took me hours with Gimp: (also the two light & dark sprites are from Stardew Valley)
http://i.imgur.com/8x7aX7T.png

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 17, 2018, 03:17:43 pm »

Check the errorlog and then the creature definitions of every species the sites and pops export file says should be present in that town, load each caste of each of those species in the arena and see if any of them cause problems, then try replacing their raws with something you know works and regenning the world. Stuff like missing materials/tissues could be the cause. Check whichever creatures you were working on last, maybe something got misplaced?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 22, 2018, 03:36:09 pm »

Maybe it relates to the mechanic that shows you, in adventure mode, which body parts are currently the easiest/hardest targets? Body armor adds difficulty to hit on the body parts it covers, and the ai is choosing the easiest targets?

Checked this out and nope, seems like the usual hit chance distribution to me, which is mostly all over the place. Also, the hit chance on unconscious opponents is 100% for all bodyparts indiscriminately, but the AI was going specifically for the vulnerable upper legs and not the helm-covered head, unlike in earlier versions of the game. May well be another sneaky little AI improvement from Toady.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

sketchesofpayne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 22, 2018, 08:15:20 pm »

... (sextuple-crocodiles, for six legs, get it? Sextudiles) ...
I'm partial to "hexagator" myself.
Now theyre aggressive and go after intruders like theyre supposed to. However, when i penned all the hatchlings in into my depot enclosure and let a couple goblins in, they went totally nuts. Not just on the goblins, but each-other.
I've observed similar behavior in tamed badgers in my fort.  They weren't "war trained" but fully domesticated.  They would occasionally attack and kill one another in their walled-off pasture.

Crashing. Lots of them.
Specifically crashing when entering towns. Anyone know what's happening?
Towns would cause me to crash in adventure mode until I turned off TWBT.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 24, 2018, 01:05:41 am »

I've observed similar behavior in tamed badgers in my fort.  They weren't "war trained" but fully domesticated.  They would occasionally attack and kill one another in their walled-off pasture.
Could it be related to the prone_to_rage tag? Worth a shot removing that i guess.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 24, 2018, 02:33:08 am »

Sure, but my point was that after six years that was the first actual wolf I've seen.

I've even intentionally restarted Arena mode over and over to try and generate a wolf, but it didn't work at the time.
I had to do something similar; werelizards are massively overrepresented. Per Toady, it's because "lizard" is a rather generic label. Still seems a bit much, if you ask me.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 25, 2018, 01:37:54 am »

I had to do something similar; werelizards are massively overrepresented. Per Toady, it's because "lizard" is a rather generic label. Still seems a bit much, if you ask me.

I didn't know Toady had talked about the rationale for werecreature populations. Where was that?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

that_eye

• Bay Watcher
  • admires eyeballs for their looks
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 25, 2018, 02:38:28 pm »

I wanted to give myself an easy enough example to start modding, so I grabbed someone's gnoll civilization mod and someoen else's gnome civilization mod then editted their raws to be more personal. I'm taking a modding break to play in the world with the gnoll and gnomes. Next project is going to be kobolds, I want to make then get taken over by dragons

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 26, 2018, 10:57:39 am »

Took rage tag away from sextudiles. Sextudiles still go apeshit during combat and attack one another. And dwarves, it turns out. One dwarf ended up putting down two of them on his own.
Once combat ends, sextudiles continue to be docile pet creatures.
I just butchered the last of them, though. It was quite a bloodbath topside. Ill order some more off the caravans and see if freshly spawned ones take on a less crazed manner.

Maybe its the noemotion or nofear tags? I dont want them "experiencing emotional shock" during combat and freezing up while intruders stab them to death, but hopefully some better discipline and willpower will make up for those?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 11:00:16 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #699 on: November 29, 2018, 12:20:55 pm »

Maybe its the noemotion or nofear tags? I dont want them "experiencing emotional shock" during combat and freezing up while intruders stab them to death, but hopefully some better discipline and willpower will make up for those?
Maybe some [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:45:100] for that.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: December 10, 2018, 09:26:47 pm »

Working on update which will have some bugfixes (in last uploaded version the Ageran captain of the guard is unavailable due an oversight). Currently implementing slave system.

What's generally considered the best way to implement a slave system (with DFHack of course)? Creating NPCs from the ether, or buying contracts that have a chance of resulting in getting slaves but also a chance of provoking an invasion?

The former seems... I dunno, weird. Like you can just magically buy someone from a foreign land because you constructed a big rug/floor? But the latter seems like it would probably just result in the slave trade probably never being worth the effort.

EDIT: Serious question, is this too edgy?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:16:15 pm by Dunmeris »

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 10, 2018, 11:50:17 pm »

Working on update which will have some bugfixes (in last uploaded version the Ageran captain of the guard is unavailable due an oversight). Currently implementing slave system.

What's generally considered the best way to implement a slave system (with DFHack of course)? Creating NPCs from the ether, or buying contracts that have a chance of resulting in getting slaves but also a chance of provoking an invasion?

The former seems... I dunno, weird. Like you can just magically buy someone from a foreign land because you constructed a big rug/floor? But the latter seems like it would probably just result in the slave trade probably never being worth the effort.
Fallout Equestria has a slave trader civ, and the way I implemented slaves (after changes to DF AI rendered the previous implementation non-functional) was by adding special slave creatures to the slaver civ using the ANIMAL token and then running a custom reaction with a script attached that converts them to a second kind of creature and adds various data to make them count as citizens (I literally just copied, tweaked and stuck a wrapper around part of the create-unit script).  For something that was fixed to the point of "unfinished but basically functional" and left so that I could focus on updating/fixing/expanding other things, it works mostly fine (I get very rare crashes when running the script, but those go away when reloading after a precautionary quicksave so *shrugs*).  I don't know how close that is to what you want, but it is at least a starting point.
I doubt it.  Being edgy requires having wide standing social boundaries to cross.  As the home of bearded midgets igniting knife eared hippie cannibals with the blood of the earth for !!Science!!, we don't really acknowledge those round these parts.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 11, 2018, 12:22:51 am »

Fallout Equestria has a slave trader civ, and the way I implemented slaves (after changes to DF AI rendered the previous implementation non-functional) was by adding special slave creatures to the slaver civ using the ANIMAL token and then running a custom reaction with a script attached that converts them to a second kind of creature and adds various data to make them count as citizens (I literally just copied, tweaked and stuck a wrapper around part of the create-unit script).  For something that was fixed to the point of "unfinished but basically functional" and left so that I could focus on updating/fixing/expanding other things, it works mostly fine (I get very rare crashes when running the script, but those go away when reloading after a precautionary quicksave so *shrugs*).  I don't know how close that is to what you want, but it is at least a starting point.
I doubt it.  Being edgy requires having wide standing social boundaries to cross.  As the home of bearded midgets igniting knife eared hippie cannibals with the blood of the earth for !!Science!!, we don't really acknowledge those round these parts.

Thanks! That does sound pretty complex, but I think it might just be worth it.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 11, 2018, 12:34:03 pm »

I'd been in a bit of a slump lately and not doing much with my DF mods, but a couple days ago I got some sudden inspiration.

44.10 1.7: Variable value ranges for humans, based on old fixed values, also including knowledge. Fixed kobolds having mannerisms for hair. Added kobold-specific profession names and more varied coloration. Added caste-specific profession names to various sentients for flavor. Restored civilian use of non-metal caps, made metal/wood mask wearable as armor. Added footwraps. Added to kobold and Resurfaced clothing/armor.
44.10 1.8:  Rebalanced layering of masks and helms so that one can wear all three but can't double up on masks, applied flavor profession names to the Resurfaced species that don't use creature variation.

So far testing it has been a rather mundane affair, quickly digressing into a local lizard man killing too damn many titans (because I set titan number to the max), walking into a vault that was completely empty (because none of the civs that generated had deities), realizing that the slab had been outside in a shrine next to the vault the whole damn time, then invading the goblins to claim a lizard demon waifu.

Only things of note would be this was where I discovered what led to that very latest update, as I found the local tribes would wear two masks at once, and that I missed a few critters when I was handing out some custom profession names.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 22, 2018, 12:42:24 am »

Working on a big update, and, while testing, I noticed something.

Removing 2 of the 3 Medieval Western-Central Europe civs (that is to say, removing the Bremans and Velaise and keeping the Rovalians) seems to really reduce the crash rate when genning a large world.

Next update might not have them. Or I might just put them in a separate folder bundled with it. Plus, I mean, I don't think they really add much either in terms of gameplay or setting.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 118