Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252304 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #765 on: February 09, 2019, 09:24:06 am »

Would roving bands of living, but possessed and murderous, humans/elves/dwarves be scary? Or would it seem odd and implausible for a landscape otherwise mostly inhabited by ghosts, zombies, and demons?
Wandering Goblin Adventurers are fun.
I removed the male and female parts to be more vanilla-compatible. Some body parts might still complain, check errorlog when adding.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 09, 2019, 08:05:22 pm »

Hmm, i see a note in there regarding lack of equipment. Have you considered adding appropriately named tissue layers or even body parts as pseudo-clothing/armor? That would offer a layer of protection youd expect, if made of leather.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 13, 2019, 08:53:31 am »

Working on worn clothes into useful thread, for OldGenesis. Got it mostly working.
How to specify that an ITEM_xxxx reagent must be damaged? I prevented leather-clothes-into-thread with a custom reaction class.

Someone who edits the DF wiki a lot, please add the names of the workshops, for modders. Took a while to find that "CLOTHES" was the valid workshop name, found it in the string dump.

==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 13, 2019, 01:06:43 pm »

How to specify that an ITEM_xxxx reagent must be damaged? I prevented leather-clothes-into-thread with a custom reaction

Don't know a way to do that. I'd be using it in Adventurecraft if that was an option.

Someone who edits the DF wiki a lot, please add the names of the workshops, for modders. Took a while to find that "CLOTHES" was the valid workshop name, found it in the string dump.

Reaction page: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Reaction#Building

It might be good to duplicate this list in the page for building tokens, as modders might be searching for building names there as you'd expect with the pages for skill and unit type tokens.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 15, 2019, 08:19:36 pm »

Yeah, I don't think there's any way to detect item quality for reactions. Only options are to either add a description urging the player to link the workshop to a tattered-only stockpile, or probably dfhack.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 16, 2019, 12:52:43 am »

Can it be linked to a refuse stockpile? Dwarves are supposed to throw away damaged clothing iirc
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 16, 2019, 10:03:06 am »

I realized how low default raw populations of cave creatures and even savage creatures are. so I'm making a quick raw edit mod that increases a lot of the lower populations and lifespans, because mass extinctions need to be more difficult to achieve.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 16, 2019, 11:33:08 am »

I realized how low default raw populations of cave creatures and even savage creatures are. so I'm making a quick raw edit mod that increases a lot of the lower populations and lifespans, because mass extinctions need to be more difficult to achieve.

Sounds interesting. One thing I wonder is whether this will make underground critters less rare in adventure mode, as I don't know if population really ties in very strongly with how spread out they are.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 16, 2019, 11:52:41 pm »

More playtesting, found some more bugs (apparently it was impossible to make bread in the previously uploaded version of Slaves of Raius and I just never noticed. I'm fixing that, among other things, and adding more things).

Also, is there any way to simulate, say, ancient Persian burial towers? That is to say, to have a civ where exposing the dead at some high place is a good idea and won't just lead to people noticing the corpse and being horrified every time they pass by? Both burial (at least while there's still flesh on the bones) and cremation are... not right for the Sarvanians, as they would view the dead, rotting corpse as both polluting to the earth, and polluting to the sacred fire.

Would roving bands of living, but possessed and murderous, humans/elves/dwarves be scary? Or would it seem odd and implausible for a landscape otherwise mostly inhabited by ghosts, zombies, and demons?
Wandering Goblin Adventurers are fun.
I removed the male and female parts to be more vanilla-compatible. Some body parts might still complain, check errorlog when adding.

Hey, you and Deon's Genesis mod is pretty good. What's you guys' policy on credited borrowing? Because my mod does borrow some things from Genesis (and other mods), but it does give credit (to all mods that I "borrowed" from). Both in the raws themselves and in a separate credits file.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:32:25 am by Dunmeris »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 17, 2019, 04:17:35 pm »

Hey, you and Deon's Genesis mod is pretty good. What's you guys' policy on credited borrowing?
Because my mod does borrow some things from Genesis (and other mods), but it does give credit (to all mods that I "borrowed" from). Both in the raws themselves and in a separate credits file.
Borrow away, Deon and I give permission to everyone. OldGenesis mod has only 110-230 users.
I think I'm most proud of the leather tiers and wood tiers. Deon made most of the dwarf castes, I added learns-military and learning-disability and posh-noble castes.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:19:11 pm by TomiTapio »

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 18, 2019, 03:38:18 pm »

Just got back into modding after a bit of a hiatus. Rather than continue the FoE robotics partial overhaul that I am halfway into, I decided to get a proof-of-concept working for something I have been meaning to do for a while.
That is a pulse rifle on the left (firing in shotgun mode), and a sub-machine gun on the right. Note the lack of projectile travel time. That is because I wrote a script that rearranges the doubly linked list that projectiles are stored in while DF is processing them. That way, I can trick the projectile handling algorithm into processing a projectile multiple times until it hits something or my script stops fiddling with the list.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #776 on: February 18, 2019, 04:18:02 pm »

Doing some rebalancing - seems like 12000 fixed temp works for having creatures still cause melting with grabs and the like, but it doesnt cause fires to pop up (atleast in the arena's grassy area) - meanwhile still allows my Burning Wrath megabeast to survive its magma blood and have its corpse burn up on death.
Might have some releases out this week, currently working on adding sounds for biome revamp creatures, rewrote some descriptions of them too - also have a civilized race addon nearly finished for it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 19, 2019, 11:56:05 am »

Doing some rebalancing - seems like 12000 fixed temp works for having creatures still cause melting with grabs and the like, but it doesnt cause fires to pop up (atleast in the arena's grassy area) - meanwhile still allows my Burning Wrath megabeast to survive its magma blood and have its corpse burn up on death.
Might have some releases out this week, currently working on adding sounds for biome revamp creatures, rewrote some descriptions of them too - also have a civilized race addon nearly finished for it.
That's a pretty nice discovery. But couldn't you make the materials the creature is made of be fireimmune?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 19, 2019, 12:24:13 pm »

That's a pretty nice discovery. But couldn't you make the materials the creature is made of be fireimmune?

I'm guessing the reason is the mentioned "burns up after death" thing, if I recall making the critter immune to fire affects materials too to some extent.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #779 on: February 19, 2019, 12:52:34 pm »

Yeah, the material stuff that makes the creature actually immune to heat damage would prevent the corpse from burning up.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 118