Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252223 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #900 on: June 08, 2019, 05:38:26 am »

I've found many of my intended features aren't working as intended. Some of them I had tested previously and believed to be functional. Like reactions producing live vermin that escape from the workshop into the room and bite people; the vermin appear to be confined to the workshop they were created in. And vermin gobblers; turns out the gobble vermin class tag does not in fact cause the creature to seek out available vermin of that class like I'd hoped. I guess it's only for critters that root around?

Anyway, removed vermin from the reactions and made the familiars vermin hunters, though I might remove that and instead have the familiars confer a resistance or immunity to particular syndromes instead. The gaseous boiling stone syndromes are certainly working their magic in making people sick.

Interesting. What is the gaseous boiling stone syndrome?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 08, 2019, 04:01:33 pm »

Various "magic aura" stones, some just make you sick, one curses your luck for a time and one causes erratic behavior and possibly makes one crazed like a werebeast.

That plan didn't work out well either, as it turns out syndrome classes can't be used the way creature classes are to grant immunity to a syndrome by being part of that class. I mean, syn_affected_class and syn_immune_class only appear to consider creature classes, not syndrome classes. I would have to make the aura grant an on-self interaction that causes the syndrome, and then the familiars protection interactions makes the creature an invalid target for that interaction. That's the only way to do it that doesn't instead rely on the disease resistance attribute to prevent affliction, as far as I have figured out. But that's unreliable because NPCs will only use clean_self interactions when theyre dirty and players are not obligated to use an interaction on themselves if it could be harmful.

Ironic, because I ran into this particular brick wall before, with no way to add or subtract creature classes and no way to make syndromes consider syndrome classes without putting an interaction in as a go-between. Aaand then I forgot about it.

So for now familiars just grant disease resistance.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 04:03:59 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #902 on: June 09, 2019, 04:35:51 am »

Interactions do actually have a IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS token that works with syndrome classes and can be used to for example have magic immunity - annoyingly, material-based syndromes lack an equivalent token, which really sucks.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 09, 2019, 08:49:42 am »

I wanted to give halflings angora rabbits as pets and a source of wool, but apparently even 20k is too small and the wool can't be spun into thread. Long story short, halflings will now ride grizzly-sized rabbits into battle. Come to think about it, a rabbit the size of a bear is just as horrirfying as an actual bear, if not even more so.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 09, 2019, 02:30:45 pm »

Just finished working on halfling pets, most work I've done in a single day in like three months.

-Ponies are just resized horses, nothing too interesting;
-Giant angora rabbits, as I've mentioned earlier today, are bear-sized bunnies that are not only shearable, but can also be ridden into battle;
-Cashmere goats are basically sheep;
-Pot-belly pigs are smaller pigs that have up to 8 piglets in a litter. They grow to the full size in a year, making them an ideal food source;
-Silver foxes are vermin hunters with valuable parts;
-Rheas are small ostriches;
-fancy pigeons are tiny egg layers, useless for anything else;
-fancy Velociraptors are vermin hunters that come in many colors, from elegant black to flashy lemon;

Also made plans for a race with 27 castes, which I'm kinda looking forward to work on.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 09, 2019, 03:42:40 pm »

Just finished working on halfling pets, most work I've done in a single day in like three months.

-Ponies are just resized horses, nothing too interesting;
-Giant angora rabbits, as I've mentioned earlier today, are bear-sized bunnies that are not only shearable, but can also be ridden into battle;
-Cashmere goats are basically sheep;
-Pot-belly pigs are smaller pigs that have up to 8 piglets in a litter. They grow to the full size in a year, making them an ideal food source;
-Silver foxes are vermin hunters with valuable parts;
-Rheas are small ostriches;
-fancy pigeons are tiny egg layers, useless for anything else;
-fancy Velociraptors are vermin hunters that come in many colors, from elegant black to flashy lemon;

Also made plans for a race with 27 castes, which I'm kinda looking forward to work on.

What's the race?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 09, 2019, 09:16:26 pm »

The sausage project continues. A lengthy three-year playtest with a relatively mature fort has yielded very useful data.

Sausage and cheese syndromes work great and seem to improve the average mood of the fort, but present a dilemma of abundance; cheese is brought in massive quantities by traders, and bounteous provisions of meat bring with them many stacks of intestines for sausage making. Micromanaging the kitchen stocks to disallow each new sausage type (determined by meat used) is tedious, but removing EDIBLE_COOKED would make it difficult to keep track of them. A simpler "dwarven sausage" template could reduce tedium, but would mistakenly imply cannibalism - which is quite disappointing. Between serrated disc traps, livestock culling, forgotten beast bits and imported foods, my fort of 60 has over 1100 prepared meals and "other" (cheese, sausage) in stock. It feels a bit overwhelming, really.

My considered plan of reducing creature sizes across the board was starting to seem appealing, but I ran into a single massive flaw: Randomly generated beasts and clowns would not respect those rules, and those terrifying titans would become all but invincible if the rest of the world shrinks by comparison. So, for now, it seems there's still no solution to the meat surplus... Sushi, however, remains a pleasant stretch goal; since traders very rarely bring aquatic-beast meat, it's less of a headache than sausage. I think for now I'll multiply the value of cheese again and remove sausage until I can find a less bothersome way to implement it.

Next addition, when I get to it: an optional module for adventurers. Eat the [beating heart] of a megabeast to gain immortality, and maybe an ability related to its powers...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 10, 2019, 07:47:05 am »

What's the race?

Anthousai, or flower nymphs. They are an "evil" race that symbolize savage, untamable aspect of nature, also a project undertaken mostly so I have a reason to learn more about castes. I've posted plans for castes in LCM - Twinklestar thread in community games subforum, but there is no harm posting them here too:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flowers will contain geldables (pistils for females, stamens for males).

The only thing I've actually done so far was generating a Hawaiian-based language for them. I know I want them to use enchanted wood metal, but I don't even know what kind of weapons they will be using.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 10, 2019, 08:38:00 am »

What's the race?

Anthousai, or flower nymphs. They are an "evil" race that symbolize savage, untamable aspect of nature, also a project undertaken mostly so I have a reason to learn more about castes. I've posted plans for castes in LCM - Twinklestar thread in community games subforum, but there is no harm posting them here too:

The only thing I've actually done so far was generating a Hawaiian-based language for them. I know I want them to use enchanted wood metal, but I don't even know what kind of weapons they will be using.

This is really cool

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: June 10, 2019, 05:42:20 pm »

Will work weapon what is ranged weapon and ammo for self? I want make throwing weapons without dummy.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 10, 2019, 06:13:12 pm »

Will work weapon what is ranged weapon and ammo for self? I want make throwing weapons without dummy.

Sadly, an ammo item cannot also be any other weapon type. An adventurer can stab someone with an arrow or throw a spear, sure, but AI dwarves need clear-cut categories to work with. A Marksdwarf needs a ranged weapon with an associated ammo item.

One option might be to give your "ammo" and "crossbow" identical attack stats - a throwing axe, for example, would work wonderfully in this regard. But you wouldn't be able to use your final "crossbow" throwing weapon as a ranged option except in adventure mode.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: June 11, 2019, 09:03:28 pm »

Making Yet Another Attempt at rebooting my Warhammer mod, and I think I managed to find a nice design that doesn't make me want to scrap it all and restart it.

It's a fair bit more gamey than my last released attempt, with stuff like "siege weapons" that are actually creatures and simplifying magic by moving it away from secrets.

Going to probably make about 5 releases of it at least, each with a batch of themed creatures and civs.

Still, yay.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: June 11, 2019, 09:11:45 pm »

What's the race?

Work mechanic of geldable females or not?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #914 on: June 12, 2019, 02:36:09 am »

Work mechanic of geldable females or not?
Both male and female castes can have
[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]
so yes, all castes can be set to geldable.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 118