Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 246732 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
What's going on in your modding?
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:18:47 pm »

Noticed the modding board had no "what's going in" thread like the fort and adventure mode boards so figured I'd make one.

What projects are you guys currently working on? Post any mishaps with creatures, gruesome arena moments or previews for mods you're planning to upload!

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 02:25:22 pm »

I'm working on a custom race. I've played several adventurers now, mostly testing their combat abilities. The most obvious problem is that I gave them an interaction with [USAGE_HINT:GREETING] and I can set the [WAIT_PERIOD] as high as I want, but townfolk will spam up my screen every time I take a step. I'm keeping it tho, I'm hoping I can find/write a DFHack tweak that makes NPCs only greet others once every time they see them (meaning they won't greet someone twice, unless they move out of the line of sight, in which case they may do it again).

Right now I've started the first Fortress mode game with the race. Since the worldgen civs build cities like humans, I will do the same. I have no solid design yet, I'm just making the buildings as I go (which I'm pretty sure is how worldgen towns are created, given their often confusing layout).
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 04:33:30 pm »

I added lice to hobbit feet last night. Cause nausea and possible mild fever when they swarm into an open wound after kicking someone. It's amusing right now. We'll see how long that lasts.
Poor old hobbits, they only really exist to make an easy raid target in the next release when dorfs are craving for hungry-head meat and unicorn cheese.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:54:36 pm »

This, mostly. I started a bit more than a year ago, but rewriting every description has been a mammoth task complicated by my perfectionism and some significant "real-life" events to pull me away from Dwarf Fortress. I've written and re-written from creature_amphibians down to creature_mountain_new 4 times now, and there's still the rest to do. The end might be finally in sight, but it's been tedious. I don't know why, but at times it takes hours just for a few descriptions. I had hopes Toady would consider integrating it, but he declined when asked. Toady or ThreeToe will probably rewrite the descriptions themselves in a fraction of the time I took and upstage me, which would be funny.

When I finally finish I have fun plans for Revised, but it all has to wait for the descriptions.

Thank you for the chance to vent!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:00:19 pm by Taffer »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:19:02 pm »

I still need to deal with this bug. I'm probably just going to remove the castes beyond the "limit" from the Jedi and Sith version of the creatures so that I can go ahead and update. Aside from that, I've made major changes to how droids work and will probably release an update soon. I need to finish a couple more new droids, clean up my files, and make 43.03 and 64-bit versions.

After that, I'll probably need to update to the new version soon. I'm also thinking that ninjas would be a good addition to my movie creatures pack.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 10:25:49 pm »

I was trying to make a dinosaur total conversion mod, but I got too busy with actually learning fort mode. Maybe I'll try something a bit easier. Maybe a diep.io mod? That would be weird.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 10:27:18 pm »

Did you complete any dinosaurs?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 10:29:10 pm »

Did you complete any dinosaurs?

I think 3.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 01:33:12 am »

I still need to deal with this bug. I'm probably just going to remove the castes beyond the "limit" from the Jedi and Sith version of the creatures so that I can go ahead and update. Aside from that, I've made major changes to how droids work and will probably release an update soon. I need to finish a couple more new droids, clean up my files, and make 43.03 and 64-bit versions.

After that, I'll probably need to update to the new version soon. I'm also thinking that ninjas would be a good addition to my movie creatures pack.
That's a pretty bizarre bug - I did hear that going past a certain amount of castes would cause odd issues, but I didn't think it'd take that many.

Myself I've been working on a Cavern Revamp mod - there's essentially six different types of caverns so that allows for "themed" layers that you can dig into. Nearly got the thing done - I'm currently working on the "bosses" for the layers - rare giant creatures with various special abilities, equivalents to Cave Dragons in vanilla - afterwards I'd have to do the vermin.

Admittedly I'm having issues with the plants, since they don't seem to follow the cavern restrictions - i.e plants, grasses and trees from the third SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM layer show up in the third SUBTERRANEAN_WATER layer. Not sure if its possible to change that, if anything I'll just swap the various plant types around so atleast the layers have unified colours.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 07:52:32 am »

Diep.io mod development has started. Is there a way to modify biomes?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 09:57:42 am »

Not exactly, unless you count carefully replacing everything that spawns in the biome.
My mods and forum games.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 10:12:01 pm »

Not exactly, unless you count carefully replacing everything that spawns in the biome.

Well, I basically deleted every creature and started modding diep.io tanks. Might replace the grass with a thing called "grid" that is white and shows up as +.

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 10:49:23 pm »

I've decided to remake all the creatures into more monstrous versions of themselves and considering removing most races to create ones on par of the challenge races from Fortress Defense mod. Might use the challenge ones as well as a basis to build off of.

I might rename creatures entirely besides slapping Dire or Monstrous in front of their name.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 10:52:37 pm »

Decided not to release the update today. I made some inexplicable progress on the Jedi while fixing the droids and found an error in the Junker caste that duplicated the males. Now only the last five species aren't working.

Hey ZM5, do you know where you heard about this bug before?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:59:35 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 11:42:03 pm »

Grid is done. Modding a Spike tank.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 118