Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 246776 times)

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2017, 06:54:34 pm »

Making siege weapons and working on a big, complex alchemy system. It's gonna be big. It'll start out slow (much like my modding of it), but the end result (assuming you do all this convoluted shit based on authentic Medieval alchemical texts) will be making a Philosopher's Stone, which you'll be able to use to transmute metal, heal wounds and cure diseases (of course diseases are in), create living homunculi, and possibly even resurrect the dead. I think the homunculi might require DFHack.

Once all that's done (and the non-Western civs have their religious buildings/interactions), I'll be able to release my big medieval total conversion project.

I'd like to also add a demon summoning/blasphemous ritual system, that would possibly have tie-in/overlap with the religion system (basically any sort of demonic ritual would permanently damn the practicioner so they could not perform any religious building reactions), but I'm terrified of coding.

I'm going full medieval with this shit. I've already long since removed all non-European/Middle-Eastern/North African plants and animals, not to mention I've removed the ability to play as dwarves and elves (they exist (maybe) but are much more mysterious and inhuman; you have to play as a human (from one of seven cultures) in this mod). Three temperate cultures, three tropical cultures, and one weird cave-dwelling arctic culture seems like a good amount, doesn't it?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2017, 06:57:36 pm »

Time for some word salad.

Ever since Toady fixed limb armor in July 2016, archers have been able to wear limb armor with ARMORLEVEL:1. In vanilla all works as it should, but naturally I bumbled things in the P&F Mod. It has chain metal mittens set up similarly to chain metal leggings. So far this sounds fine, until there's a closer look

In vanilla, leggings come in leather or metal, with leather being assigned ARMORLEVEL:1 and thus metal having ARMORLEVEL:2.

Leather mittens, however, have an armor level of zero, making METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS assign ARMORLEVEL:1 to chain metal mittens, so archers were genning in a "how do they string their bows with mail mittens sort of way?"

Finally took a look at it, did a fix and removed leather from gloves to make a shaped, LAYER:COVER, armor classed leather gloves entry---so archers wear leather gloves as their hand armor. As such they don't wear mittens, either.

Ended up doing the same for shoes too. This way the only metal armor for archer would be head gear and body armor.

It's all a little more narratively sound now.

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2017, 02:00:36 pm »

I’ve been editing my phoenixes to be more like phoenixes should based on suggestions when I posted V1.

Some stuff like adding spheres and removing MAXAGE.

Still haven’t seen if golden eggshells actually make golden bars/golden meals yet
No amount of mods is too much

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2017, 06:50:56 pm »

Meals use egg innards, not shells, iirc.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 21, 2017, 06:00:46 pm »

I perpetually forget how to do size conversions.. >:(

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2017, 06:03:13 pm »

The "Any way to make armor cover the tail?" thread just taught me that a bunch of my modded armor doesn't actually work >:(

(Specifically, you can't actually make upper body armor for humanoids that covers the legs but not the arms)
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2017, 08:32:03 pm »

Have noticed that my wild dwarf immigrants often arrive equipped with high quality bronze or steel masks. Having masks was intentional (because, lore) but didn't realize they'd all be metal. Are masks any good as head protection? Can they be tweaked to be more so? Do they wear out quickly like clothing? Does this mean you can get them to come in metal helmets too? Will play with this a bit to see what can be achieved.

Wild dwarf fortress I'm testing right now are getting a lot of visitors from the nearby dwarf civ despite dwarves supposedly being a hostile civ. Not just bards, but mercs and the occasional noble. Maybe the checks that prevent regular goblins (besides entertainers) from visiting dwarves are limited to only goblin civs right now?

Funny how the baron of our arch-enemies feels relieved after being granted residency. There's a story in there somewhere.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2017, 10:24:43 pm »

Masks are not so hot as head protection, because they only have 50% coverage (meaning 50% of attacks bypass them completely).  Up the coverage to 100% and I believe they will be just as good as helmets.  If memory serves, civilians wear them because the don't have an ARMORLEVEL or METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS token.  I believe the lack of both tokens also causes them to wear out.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #203 on: October 22, 2017, 10:31:30 am »

Found something interesting that some of you may find useful - apparently, if you give some of a creatures castes [SLOW_LEARNER] but not the others, those castes will be available on embark as "pets".

Without the pet token they also count as full citizens that can be given jobs!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 22, 2017, 10:40:26 am »

Huh, that may help a lot with my droids. Great find.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 22, 2017, 10:56:51 am »

Seriously, how does bodysize work

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 22, 2017, 11:02:51 am »

I'm going to mod again.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 22, 2017, 11:13:01 am »

Seriously, how does bodysize work

It's a measurement of mass, and is measured in cubic centimeters. Quoting the wiki:
Quote from: The wiki
Sets size at a given age. Size is in cubic centimeters, and for normal body materials is roughly equal to the creature's average weight in grams.
Example:
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:10000]
[BODY_SIZE:1:168:50000]
[BODY_SIZE:12:0:220000]
This describes the size of a minotaur. His birth size would be 10,000 cm3 (~10 kg). At 1 year and 168 days old he would be 50,000 cm3 (~50 kg). And as an adult (at 12 years old) he would be 220,000 cm3 and weigh roughly 220 kg.

Was that what you wanted? A notable bit is that there's an upper cap, but it can be increased by making a tiny creature that gets boosted by [CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC:x] tokens.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #208 on: October 22, 2017, 11:33:39 am »

Found something interesting that some of you may find useful - apparently, if you give some of a creatures castes [SLOW_LEARNER] but not the others, those castes will be available on embark as "pets".

Interesting is that all? As a quick test I made dwarven males only have CAN_SPEAK and SLOW_LEARNER and females with INTELLIGENT but at embark I can't order any dwarven males.

Curious if you'd share that creature as this would beat my hacky way of getting this same approach using breeder creatures and transformations

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #209 on: October 22, 2017, 12:06:45 pm »

Interesting is that all? As a quick test I made dwarven males only have CAN_SPEAK and SLOW_LEARNER and females with INTELLIGENT but at embark I can't order any dwarven males.

Curious if you'd share that creature as this would beat my hacky way of getting this same approach using breeder creatures and transformations
That only seems to apply to wild creatures though (this one in particular is playable in an animal person way and so migrates to civs), not civilized races.

Link here - I removed the innate interactions they have in my full pack so they dont cause the errorlog to vomit stuff up.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 118