Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 246735 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #585 on: June 04, 2018, 11:59:59 am »

Should be, since force is spread out over contact area, and force is calculated separately.

Ive been plugging away at writing up some semi-deities that represent the source of power of some of the schools of magic in my spellcrafts mod. Im reimagining all of the details to make that work, and im not sure if i like it much. But the details of making it anything more than an industrial reaction to make special stuff will always escape me i guess. What would an avatar of hyazir even be, anyway? A golem made of ever-burning water ice?

Maybe instead of deities ill just use golems you can "construct"?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 05, 2018, 01:46:16 pm »

I've considered a similar idea in fact, but it would depend on whether DOES_NOT_EXIST critters can become a secret source, which I doubt.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 12, 2018, 01:07:46 am »

Meanwhile...Adventurecraft update.

* Reworked strawberries, fisher berries, prickle berries, and sun berries to behave sanely.
* Made pod-bearing plants work like rock nuts instead.
* Converted abaca and banana trees into shrubs so they'd actually show up.
* Fixed cave floaters and cave blobs having megabeast-tier skin.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 12, 2018, 11:31:43 am »

Made soulless servants for the wizard entities. Humans that literally lack personal will or ambition, feel no real emotions and are immune to stress and totally obedient, making them the perfect servants and guards for mad magic scientists to use. 90% of them can learn and speak despite lacking personality, the rest can only be war trained.

Like pawns from dragons dogma, kinda. Or living zombies. Thinking about ways to acquire them other than buying them off caravans and breeding them. Maybe wizards can turn goats and stuff into mindless, soulless people or something.

Theres also gotta be a way to show that most non-slaving civilizations, like normal dwarves, believe this to be unethical, while still technically allowing the player to do it. Something that gives your dwarves bad thoughts for making them do this.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:41:28 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #589 on: June 12, 2018, 01:53:17 pm »

Made soulless servants for the wizard entities. Humans that literally lack personal will or ambition, feel no real emotions and are immune to stress and totally obedient, making them the perfect servants and guards for mad magic scientists to use. 90% of them can learn and speak despite lacking personality, the rest can only be war trained.

Like pawns from dragons dogma, kinda. Or living zombies. Thinking about ways to acquire them other than buying them off caravans and breeding them. Maybe wizards can turn goats and stuff into mindless, soulless people or something.

Theres also gotta be a way to show that most non-slaving civilizations, like normal dwarves, believe this to be unethical, while still technically allowing the player to do it. Something that gives your dwarves bad thoughts for making them do this.

You can make "slaved" creatures give bad thoughts via interaction on greeting for those that would find it unethical. So players that do make use of such things would be keeping the normal folks from the slaved folks. Giving off that whole illusion that no one knows of the evil that is fueling the fortress.

ZM5 runs into the issue of traded folks not properly integrating into the civ/fort. And transforming something that is a PET doesn't remove the PET flags. You could make special POP_RATIO:1 breeder castes in the slaves that are tradeable (or can transform pets into to) and their children are the sapient citizens

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 12, 2018, 02:36:07 pm »

Yeah I already set it up to make the breeders unintelligent pets, the can_learn ones dont even have the pet tag, but from research on antmen they are labelled as pets, and ideally youd transform goats into or purchase the dumb ones for breeding stock and either embark with the smart ones or wait a year for them to become adults (im just assuming accelerated growth)

The question though with the slave species is, how can i ensure people of different civs have different reactions? The game doesnt yet support ethics based decision making/reactions to situations or people/species. Maybe if the wizards (these are normal dwarves/humans species wise, just a different civilization) have an ubitquitous food or drink that delivers a syndrome that makes them an invalid target to the soulless slaves interaction, but should that be permanent or what?
I make Spellcrafts!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #591 on: June 12, 2018, 03:59:11 pm »

I'd just give creatures that count as "slaved" have an interaction that can only target intelligent creatures, that are not already Slaves, and ignore creatures that wouldn't care (goblins, elves?, wizards)

if you know what races should be more or less affected, then you can tailor syndrome portions to those type (filter by who interaction can affect, then filter by SYNDROME for the effects on what reaches that audience)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #592 on: June 30, 2018, 09:10:50 am »

Got done with the things for my horror pack update. Should be pretty interesting to deal with - wild ones will have a chance of infecting creatures on attacks, at which point there'll be a chance the infected will transform into a berserk thing once in combat - meanwhile there'll also be ones formed by deity curses, which may or may not visit forts - I'm not sure what'd be a good non-obvious way to spread the infection though - for now if you drink or even make skin contact with the imitator's blood there's a chance for infection.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 30, 2018, 10:41:00 pm »

I decided to take a quick break from my post apocalypse mod and other such mods I'm working on to make a quick personal mod which adds in a civilization of Miis. Yes, those little guys from the Wii and other such Nintendo consoles. Why'd I do it? ...I dunno, thought it'd be interesting.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 01, 2018, 08:14:31 am »

Currently experimenting with Sver's idea of weapon sets for ranged units. Because SKILL:CROSSBOW defines equipment population, those pairings likely have to be less martial and perhaps more utility, hunter-ish.

Expanding this to some SKILL:PIKE melee units. A melee unit with a maul, which I now have as a slow 4:4 3K velocity 50 contact blunt KO unit, might also generate with a set like "maul/large dagger" which pretty much takes us into the whole Swiss Army knife universe that pollaxes inhabit. Not what I have for pollaxe, but for example, a vanilla-oriented pollaxe is pretty much war hammer + pick + large dagger (top spike) + large dagger (butt spike).

Not doing a combat overhaul as Sver, Grimlocke and others have a better more comprehensive vision. Why remake the wheel? Though the thinking for SKILL:PIKE melee units that I have, regarding AI concerns and player advantage in Adventure Mode, is they generally need to make overwhelming first contact, or your tick counting adventurer Kisat Durs them into the ground.

There's often no way to work around certain core factors that heavily influence outcomes. Kinda brings me to upping halfling size from 30k to somewhere around 40-45. At their current 30K size, hardy halflings crumple like kobolds when struck by 60K dorf/elf/gobbo. Not very sturdy at all. A stat like toughness can't change the value swing of size.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 11, 2018, 11:13:20 pm »

Got done with the things for my horror pack update. Should be pretty interesting to deal with - wild ones will have a chance of infecting creatures on attacks, at which point there'll be a chance the infected will transform into a berserk thing once in combat - meanwhile there'll also be ones formed by deity curses, which may or may not visit forts - I'm not sure what'd be a good non-obvious way to spread the infection though - for now if you drink or even make skin contact with the imitator's blood there's a chance for infection.

Sneezes worked well for my Plump Helmet Plague. Have a long-cooldown "greet" or "clean self" interaction that spews a spore cloud - with a chance to infect others with the same, as well as a chance to infect with a worse progression of the disease. A tier or two of progressive infection later, hideous transformation!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 11, 2018, 11:40:36 pm »

so... i replaced the bee's vermin_bite material from VENOM to MEAD and ended up with the most hilarious hive.

ever seen a drunk cat?

edit: on a side note, this seems to have made it potentially lethal, i've a few cats and dogs that died from alcohol poisoning.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:07:00 am by EpicMadness »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #597 on: July 12, 2018, 03:53:43 am »

so... i replaced the bee's vermin_bite material from VENOM to MEAD and ended up with the most hilarious hive.

ever seen a drunk cat?

edit: on a side note, this seems to have made it potentially lethal, i've a few cats and dogs that died from alcohol poisoning.
Yeah, you need to make the injected concentration lower - when I first made alementals for my Warcraft pack, their bites would inject alcohol into the blood and due to the concentration being too high the bite would always result in lethal alcohol poisoning.

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 12, 2018, 05:12:42 am »

ever seen a drunk cat?

Yeah, you need to make the injected concentration lower - when I first made alementals for my Warcraft pack, their bites would inject alcohol into the blood and due to the concentration being too high the bite would always result in lethal alcohol poisoning.

how low is "lower" exactly?
i'm trying to make my bees somewhat lethal but it'll require seriously prolonged exposure.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #599 on: July 12, 2018, 05:18:20 am »

I set the concentration level to be 5:5 iirc, so while a single bite wouldn't be lethal, repeated ones would end up causing fatal alcohol poisoning.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 118