Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252270 times)

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #870 on: May 20, 2019, 12:53:35 pm »

Had modded in role-playery bedrolls and began thinking, if I run an outsider, could I skip using a backpack despite being able to craft one? A minimal minimalist might actually be from Baroque Works.

So anyways, added a PREPARE:RECOVER to the bedroll allowing it to be strapped to the body. Figured I'd also do this with jugs and the pouch. We always see NPCs with pouches attached to their clothing, but for player characters, pouches end up in backpacks.

Will also add in scabbards of varying sizes due to coming across Wyrdean's post.

Probably go with small for daggers/knives, standard (=no adj modifier) for short swords/scimitars, long for long swords, and large for 2H'ers. Made from either leather, wool, or wood.

While PREPARE:RECOVER allows a tool to be strapped to the body, it also allows it to suffer the accelerated wear that all tools suffer in comparison to weapons. Give dwarves boning/carving/slicing knives andf maybe even a tool oriented short sword in entity.txt and go view an insurrection. Seems like wear's based on item token and then material type. Unfortunate.

Huh... I made scabbards based on the code you gave me and made them craftable in adventure mode.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 21, 2019, 05:49:55 am »

@Wyrdean, you floated the idea first, so that's why I credited you as the point of origin for scabbards. Without your post, I just wouldn't have thought about them making for good adv-mode simulation.

------------------------------------

Being a bit lazy lately, but have been compressing multiple tools into one item for P&F's crafting reactions. For example, instead of requiring a thimble, needle, eyelet awl and shears to make clothes, now you'll only need a set of (material type) clothesmaking tools, whose description lists those 4 constituent parts.

This was primarily the result of coming across the tumblr of Paul Weber.

Currently thinking that while the single player sandlot aspect of DF sorta offers more playroom than the collaborative adventuring experience of DnD, the multiple tool feature of P&F has run its course. Though for now that's just for travel oriented crafting. Something settler/sedentary like metalsmithing wont get that overhaul.

The whole point of tools for me was that a martially-inclined hack and slash player can always covet and prize their ☼masterwork weapon/armor item☼, while a player who only wants to perform civilian activity is generally ignored in regard to their accoutrements.

I think tool compression here serves this need more effectively than what was offered before. If you're a tailor it's better that you have a ☼set of apple wood clothesmaking tools☼ as opposed to ☼apple wood sewing needle☼, but all the rest having quality of varying level.

And yeah, I know it's perhaps 1% of adventure mode players who avoid combat/questing altogether and instead muck around as clothier Urist, thinking purely in terms of dyes and rope reeds.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:51:59 am by peasant cretin »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 24, 2019, 03:00:32 pm »

I squashed another bug. It was a teeny tiny ugly little bad skin color modifier that caused the game to crash whenever you viewed the critters description.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 25, 2019, 05:04:28 am »

I've been playtesting Vanilla-Spice Revised more, and the addition of a positive thought syndrome to cheese is changing my gameplay in surprising ways.

No longer a prestige goal, cheesemaking is actually a priority in my fort now - because it allows me to target stressed-out dwarves with a happiness boost in the form of cheese stockpiles in their private dining rooms, or to just boost happiness overall. This is a wonderful level of control to have. Also, buying cheese in bulk from traders is suddenly worth something now, as is defending your livestock from invaders instead of shrugging when they're murdered.

With that in mind, I'm debating adding more "cheeses;" specific-effort foods that provide a happiness boost. My first thought is sausage; with intestines being limited, you only get a handful of units per animal killed. Charcoal as a reagent (smoked yak sausage) would be nifty too, and prevent infinite Korean cuisine without surface access like cheese. I'll get that working before I consider anything else; plant-based options might be too easy, though "candied fruit" using sugar and surface plants would require both effort and surface access.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 25, 2019, 05:08:20 am »

I've been playtesting Vanilla-Spice Revised more, and the addition of a positive thought syndrome to cheese is changing my gameplay in surprising ways.

No longer a prestige goal, cheesemaking is actually a priority in my fort now - because it allows me to target stressed-out dwarves with a happiness boost in the form of cheese stockpiles in their private dining rooms, or to just boost happiness overall. This is a wonderful level of control to have. Also, buying cheese in bulk from traders is suddenly worth something now, as is defending your livestock from invaders instead of shrugging when they're murdered.

With that in mind, I'm debating adding more "cheeses;" specific-effort foods that provide a happiness boost. My first thought is sausage; with intestines being limited, you only get a handful of units per animal killed. Charcoal as a reagent (smoked yak sausage) would be nifty too, and prevent infinite Korean cuisine without surface access like cheese. I'll get that working before I consider anything else; plant-based options might be too easy, though "candied fruit" using sugar and surface plants would require both effort and surface access.

This is actually awesome! And a very nice (and literal) example of "fluff is crunch".
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 25, 2019, 12:45:56 pm »

Heh, thanks Sver.

Digging into the issue, it looks like I'd have to add new tissues to each creature with a sausage product, since cheeses are defined the same way to get the animal-named cheese. So piggybacking off Taffer's "tough intestines" might be helpful there by using the same creatures and skipping those which don't make sense. Like, who's gonna make sausage with rabbit guts?

Either way, it'll be a lot more work than I originally considered... but first I need to find reactions to make cheese and/or meat in a reaction.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 25, 2019, 01:49:58 pm »

You can actually use a material reaction product like tanning uses and add it to the normal creature tissue definitions, saving time. "Make sausages" automatic reaction at the butcher shop that requires the animals intestines and meat. Every time an animal gets butchered, the reaction auto-selects any intestines and meat the animal may have had, and produces a "sausage" material product as the mat reaction product of the specific intestines used. So it always ends up being "rabbit sausage" if it was made with rabbit intestines. And yes I would totally try rabbit sausage. Probably gamey like venison.

The bonus is you don't have to modify any creatures; you just add the mat reaction product string to intestines and point it at the sausage material, which you only have to add to the standard material definitions and maybe some weird critters like floating guts that don't use the standard definitions.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 25, 2019, 02:40:12 pm »

Can you add syndromes to material templates? Because if so you can affect all cheeses, even those of modded creatures, without too much hassle. Same for any similar things.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 25, 2019, 08:35:40 pm »

Can you add syndromes to material templates? Because if so you can affect all cheeses, even those of modded creatures, without too much hassle. Same for any similar things.

Yep - it's how alcohol works. Vanilla-Spice revised currently has SYN_INGESTED perks for cheese, meat, structural plant material and blood (for leech men and their ilk.)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 27, 2019, 11:57:37 am »

I am working on a demonic goatman civ as a harder alternative to the vanilla goblins. I figured I would share this brutal scene:

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 27, 2019, 03:08:28 pm »

I'm forcing myself to be productive! This is my new baby:

It's a giant cicada nymph infected with a parasitic strain of pig tails. It's a cheap, fast breeding, non-grazing alternative to rothe. There is a minor problem...

Pig tail hosts don't produce much. It's a balancing measure, because they lay up to 7 eggs in a single clutch and reach maturity and full size in just a year.

The cloth is yarn, not plant cloth. It would probably be possible to make a reaction that turns the yarn into actual pig tail thread, but I don't see much reason for that.

Yeah, it's a woolly insect, that's all there is to it.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 27, 2019, 03:22:55 pm »

I'm forcing myself to be productive! This is my new baby:

Have you considered making the parasitic fungus a syndrome that can effect any creature including dwarves to spread the fungus? It could eventually turn the creature into some fungus creature which could then be harvested. Could remove the eggs and make it so you have to infect other creatures to farm the pig tail. Could even have the fungus spread through dust or something similiar.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 27, 2019, 03:57:47 pm »

I may try to do something with infectious fungi later, but this creature is meant to be a simple, low maintenance source of wool that Rhenaya's drows normally lack (with rothe being a large grazer) . It also wouldn't really fit thematically, since the drow civ I'm assigning the pig tail hosts to is of the good kind, not the kind that would spread mind-controling fungus to make socks.

I was considering making an underground creature pack after I'm done with story fort stuff and Animal Diversification Project (that I should be bugfixing for the update right now). I'll have to learn to work with syndromes and interactions sooner or later, I guess.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 28, 2019, 06:37:22 pm »

GOOD NEWS: I think I finally cracked what I need to do for sausage. LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT materials that aren't created by butchering, but are created by other reactions, can be added through b_detail_plan_default. So adding [ADD_MATERIAL:SAUSAGE:SAUSAGE_TEMPLATE] lets me define a SAUSAGE_TEMPLATE in material_template_default and use MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SAUSAGE_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SAUSAGE on the various lung/kidney/other organ meats as valid materials to make sausage from.

BAD NEWS: This approach would be indiscriminate, enabling sausage made from giant flies or great white sharks. That could be an issue. Bird sausage, while uncommon due to undercooked-birdmeat-spoilage, has some precedent in turkeys...

To solve this, I would have to clone the organ material templates to make non-sausageable versions and apply a second STANDARD_MATERIALS to large fish (and possibly birds) which is a whole 'nother barrel of work...

On the upswing, defining a separate material list for fish could allow me to rename their muscle meat (Carp sushi, anyone?) and apply an enjoyment syndrome for discerning animalmen palates, as is the case with my VEGETARIAN creatures. Still... not sure if it's entirely worth it.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 28, 2019, 07:20:20 pm »

I dont see a problem with letting all organs be turned into sausages. Nothing says dwarf fortress quite like "Great White Shark Kidney Sausage".
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 118