Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 251601 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1530 on: January 10, 2022, 07:55:26 am »

It's not duped raws - the rest of the game is working fine.

I've checked around a bit and found that there are several instances of oni deities getting killed.  My guess is that is has to do with the oni species, which are NIGHT_CREATURE_SPOUSE_CONVERTERs with a civilization.  This is surprisingly functional - they generally behave like normal civilized creatures, but occasionally one will suddenly start acting like a night creature, get booted out of society, and start kidnapping and converting other species.

My guess is that the game didn't really account for deities in the form of night creatures, and tries to give them both deity and night creature behavior in worldgen - both creating slabs and ambushing travelers, the latter of which can get them killed.

The game handles this surprisingly well - I haven't seen a crash yet.  I know from DFHack experiments that deities are, internally, regular historical figures of their respective species, just with a deity flag that stops them from existing physically and lets them do god stuff.  I wonder if it's possible to encounter an oni deity living in a cave in adventure mode.

oh yeah technically night trolls are generated right next to gods in the history figure list. so having a sapient civil group of night trolls be literally the first civ to exist means their gods would be consider a historical figure night trolls. then they would just act like a normal night trolls in the world gen. this does in fact lead to encounters of folks becoming god killers but I haven't seen the result of an night troll deity kidnapping folks and doing spouse conversion as that would be as close to DF going to get to literal demigods.
oh and deities in world gen tend to not get nemesis data so they won't really get the luxury of showing up in someone's game or spawn in sites they were residing in.
pretty interesting to realize in worldgen everyone is equal including the gods

oh currently in my sessions of modding I've dip into fiddling with towns to see if I can construct a mini town in dfhack
and the results end up being either crash worthy or accidentally burrowing several z levels into the ground with a building I spawned in.
I already got inhabitants living in said buildings so I guess one could build a dungeon with dfhack and just explore it in adventure mode, or make custom civ sites.
though given the placements of the structures seem to crash unless I roll up on a certain sweet spot building placement... it kinda got me re-thinking on how useful would this script be for folks on a causal level.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: January 17, 2022, 11:35:54 am »

Currently I'm working on Animalia that, sadly, had been on hiatus for a long time due to how boring getting everything from the old ADP project is. I've soldiered through the gazelles/small antelopes file, got through hippopotamuses (hippopotami?), and corrected some minor mistakes (klipspringer living in forests for some reason).

Finally, a while back when testing driders for Rhenaya's Drow update, I've realized what makes werebeasts so dangerous - it is not their melee or biting skill, but rather dodging. A drow turned into a drider for eating spider meat was beaten to death by his unarmed colleagues, while a werelizard can dispatch a squad of untrained yet armed soldiers. Turns out not getting hit raises one's chances of survival significantly
So, seeing as any peasant armed with a knife can easily kill a lion, I've decided to give some animals dodging skills. It's mostly relevant with predators and thieves, but some prey animals such as deer and antelopes got some too. In general, small and nimble animals will be better at dodging attacks than massive beasts, meaning that a grizzly bear will be a poor dodger while a cat should be more adept at avoiding danger.
The only really large file left to update is whales. As unlikely as a player is to encounter a dolphin, I don't think they deserve to be left out.

Edit:

I've also been making some extra stuff for Miscmod!:
Birds:
-Seraph heron - a six-winged water bird from good wetlands. Inoffensive creature that appears in small flocks.
-Bloodbird - a repulsive creature resembling a featherless chicken with bat-like wings and a maw of a lamprey in place of head. they can apear in all but the coldest evil areas, swooping down in large flocks to gorge themselves on dwarven blood. Still, they are rather small and not exceptionally agile.

Demons - as a group these creatures are dwellers of evil areas, are immune to curses, and take 3/5 damage from all sources.
-Oni - red and blue demonic brutes, just like the tsuki-oni that serve Kagusagi. In fact, they aren't at all different from their servile cousins. They are greater demons of wrath, and appear in evil mountains and temperate forests. They are prone to rage, but don't really have any other special offensive abilities. I should come up with a friendly skill with drawbacks too, since they are demons; I'm not sure whatto do here.
-Tauriz - an animalistic lesser demon of wrath; a knuckle-walking beast with hooves on its hind legs, bull-like horns on its head, and a maw full of sharp teeth. They are 100% prone to rage, but are tamable to civilizations that use evil livestock. They live in more open areas such as grasslands, shrublands, savannas, and marshes. They are named after the zoroastrian daeva of destruction, while its design is based of horned demons from Heroes of Might and Magic V (maybe I should have made more changes...)
-Belos - a major demon of envy; a hooved humanoid with hairy legs, and a bull's head made of pure gold. They lack brain and throat, limiting the number of weak spots on their bodies. They are perfectly capable of killing with their golden horns, but they will have some sort of ablility to make the player's life harder. They should also have some kind of interaction with allies, maybe inspiring envy which temporarily increases attributes, but causes, well, envy and anger?

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: January 20, 2022, 06:00:20 pm »

currently working on a new civ mod for DF, that focuses on adding in many new and unique civs to DF, and adding in a few tweaks for vanilla DF civs here and there, and minorly focusing on adding some new creatures to DF as well, with the main focus of the mod mainly focusing on adding these new DF vanilla setting based civs and a few creatures for the main focus of adding more !!FUN!! to the normal DF gameplay, currently I am constantly at work on a chaos cultist civ type I am working on and trying to figure out some ways to fix up some problems with that civ type, I also already thought up of a perfect name for this civ mod I am working and plan on finishing a first release for it when I am done, and for that thought it would be great to name this upcoming mod the "Civs+ Mod" if this name is already taken let me know
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 02, 2022, 07:26:37 pm »

Belos demon that I've mentioned earlier now has an offensive interaction, the curse of envy, that raises envy propensity, causes the feelings of hatred, loathing and bitterness, and has 10% chance of making the target go berserk. It can present itself as a deity to its allies, making them feel admiration, zeal and rapture while also raising focus, the drawback being a chance to cause the same negative effects as the curse, just with lower chances.

I've also made a few more demons:

-Rashk - a small, hideous, hunchbacked humanoid with a strong hatred for beauty. Despite being humanoid in shape, it is just a wild beast driven solely by envy. Steals items, and isn't afraid to fight for them.

-Lilim - succubi and incubi, greater demons of lust appearing as beautiful young women and men with small wings and short horns. They can drain life essence causing harm to body and mind of the target (haven't finalized the interaction yet). They are legendary in some of the social skills from birth. They are born as children rather than babies.

-Jahi - a minor demon of lust in the shape of a hooved woman with ram-like horns and a bovine tail that terminates with a sharp metallic blade. They lack the subtlety of succubi, sucking the life essence with blood. Unlike other minor demons, jahi are sentient and can join civilizations.

All greater demons are POWERs and corrupt surroundings if they become leaders. Their spheres are:
Oni - depravity/thralldom/chaos/murder/strength
Belos - depravity/metals/fame/thralldom/jealousy
Lilim - depravity/beauty/lust/persuasion/revelry

montejobarato

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 03, 2022, 06:11:06 pm »

I am trying to bring Rain world(with almost 100% accuracy) to dwarf fortress, kind hard, still trying to think how im gonna make the void thing at the dephs of the earth and having some how the civilization interact with it and all that stuff, the other thing is the gigantic water vapor blasting and so much more. to be completly  honest i will probably not get it 100%, or not even finish it because of some hard coded stuff, but i will try my best i guess

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1535 on: February 05, 2022, 01:17:24 pm »

I linked up my "extract raws from save files" tool DF Rawminer with the rest in my DF Diagnosipack pack. It doesn't really add that much new other than having them in the same place, and it's probably not the loftiest tool as it can only extract from uncompressed saves. Still, I have hopes it should make it easier to explore those save-file raws in the future, helping answer questions like: "what are the precise sizes of the werecreatures"? Too many other projects currently (plus I'm sick) so I won't get into that soon, but it should be much less cumbersome than when the tools weren't linked up and I had to switch between them to get the divine material colors.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: February 07, 2022, 06:43:04 am »

My first secret! Demonweb warlocks are now a part of my Rhenaya's Drow Unofficial Branch. They can learn the secret through slabs created by gods of chaos, through books and apprenticeship, or they could be bound by a curse.
The warlocks are more resistant to disease, more focused and smarter, but not at all faster or stronger. Instead they rely on their ability to summon a bebilith and cast eldritch blast.

Bebilith is a massive demonic spider with sharp claws. It slings webs and has a venomous bite, just like a spider should. They can be encountered deep underground as a sort of boss monsters.

Eldritch blast fires a purple glob that causes bruising, bisters, and debilitating pain. It also has a chance to cause necrosis.

Other than that I've tweaked animals from that mod. They all have combat skills including dodging now, and the spiders now lay eggs and have mandibles.

The plan before the next update includes a second secret - the spider prophetess, but I've talked about this earlier. The spider altar and alchemy come later.

Edit:

Yochlols, the handmaidens of Lolth, were kinda tricky - I had to make them from scratch since they are very non-standard and I've never had anything like them.
Fortunately I had slime templates on hand from another mod.
To make them more kllable I've decided to give them brains even though I wasn't supposed to. To compensate for their lack of skuls and soft bodies I've fiven them higher damage resistance than I usually give demons.
Overall they should be very dangerous, with webs, aralytic and necrotizing venom, and a psychic attack. It is smaller and has worse combat skills than the bebilith, but a spider prophetess will be able to summon two at a time.

I've also discovered that driders would bite with their mouths instead of teeth, and had pus defined twice for some reason. This carried over to scorrows. I've fixed all of this already.

Edit 2:

(Fixed the name after that)

The warlock got pulped by the yochlol who was in turn destroyed by the bebilith. Unfortunately the bebilith attacked its warlock in the next test. Gotta work it out.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 02, 2022, 04:37:10 am »

Fish.
The problem with the fish from Elder Scrolls is that there is little to no lore about them, not even as little as a description.
Slaughterfish are seemingly well defined, but there are also two different species - blind and electric - that are briefly mentioned in Morrowind and then completely ignored. I mentioned them before, so I'm not gonna discuss them.

Fish from Skyrim (river betty, silverside perch, cyrodiilic longfin, histcarp) all use the same model in the game, but I decided to make them more distinct and actually came up with some meaningful descriptions - river betty is a temperate river betta, longfin is like a fancy guppy, histcarp is a carp that is given Hist sap for cleaning and protecting Hist roots, perch is a perch. They all have the basic magical effects from Skyrim.

I have no idea where or when it's explained, but the trodh is apparently a fish that becomes extremely poisonous almost immediately after death, and is therefore best eaten raw just after killing, or if you're an argonian you can just swallow it alive. The problem is that you can't have that in DF, so I've made the poison mild, causing only nausea and some dizziness. Trodhs are also rare so you don't have to deal with them on every embark.

That brings us to the completely undefined ESO fish. Most are fishable vermin, some od them having negative effects (toxic xoach being a carrier of swamp fever for example), while others have some other stuff going on (weaver octopus is a webber, however it's gonna work).
Some fish are large creatures. That includes the old man gar, king sturgeon, shark tadpole, few actual sharks, moray lamprey, and some more. Most are dangerous predator with an appetite for dwarven flesh.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1538 on: March 06, 2022, 04:02:50 pm »

Working on my first TC - completely different than my usual fare, with a post-apoc setting rather than a fantasy one.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 08, 2022, 01:01:11 am »

Im sorry, is this a Thriller zombie party interaction?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1540 on: March 08, 2022, 02:19:16 am »

Believe me, I was bewildered by this as well. Was testing out a race I did for this mod, and decided to go to a necromancer tower for the hell of it. And then I saw this

I didn't think the zombies would be using interactions, since on my other mods I don't think I've seen them use interactions much.

Eritzap

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #1541 on: March 19, 2022, 03:50:00 pm »

Finally found out the source of a weird effect on my modded civ and creature that had been bothering me.

I discovered that the [NATURAL_SKILL] token, when used to set a combat skill, will cause all creatures to be "hardened" in proportion to the set level.
Level 4-6 will give the "is getting used to tragedy." string, 7-9 will give "is a hardened individual.", and 10 and above will give "doesn't really care about anything anymore."

Is that a know fact? Because I certainly couldn't find any mention of it out there.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 20, 2022, 09:44:54 am »

Finally found out the source of a weird effect on my modded civ and creature that had been bothering me.

I discovered that the [NATURAL_SKILL] token, when used to set a combat skill, will cause all creatures to be "hardened" in proportion to the set level.
Level 4-6 will give the "is getting used to tragedy." string, 7-9 will give "is a hardened individual.", and 10 and above will give "doesn't really care about anything anymore."

Is that a know fact? Because I certainly couldn't find any mention of it out there.
That's neat - I never knew that. If I had to hazard a guess as to why, I imagine it might be something like the game generates the unit, notices the unit has military skills, then assumes they must've been in the military/trained as a soldier so gives them some appropriate hardenedness based on their supposed level of military experience.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1543 on: March 24, 2022, 04:03:48 am »

Changing dialogues was a great idea.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 24, 2022, 07:38:52 am »

Believe me, I was bewildered by this as well. Was testing out a race I did for this mod, and decided to go to a necromancer tower for the hell of it. And then I saw this

I didn't think the zombies would be using interactions, since on my other mods I don't think I've seen them use interactions much.
You know, I don’t think I’ve even seen dwarfs do this.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 118