Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252362 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1605 on: November 12, 2022, 03:33:08 pm »

I've been working on and off on a personal mod/mod-pack for some time (last couple years maybe?), and now it seems that after a fourth (or fifth?) time doing things from scratch I'm finally at the point that it should be playable.

I actually went and redid this one more time, simplifying stuff quite a bit (I guess when you yourself are left wondering "how the hell does this work?", it's maybe time to rethink & redo those parts). Now it should be in a slightly better state and testing can commence.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: November 13, 2022, 01:08:09 am »

Might as well post this.  Remaking a guns mod in DF with the handy dandy shootforce calculator tool I made in VB a long time ago because why not? 

>When you realize that crossbow bolts are 1.75x0.01 meters long (or a variation of, it's a flying brick), and everyone who's made a gun mod has made their bullets about in scale of that.  Bullet size 80 cm^3 is like shooting a big rock at someone.  Lel. 

Spoiler: loadout (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: testing logs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: wounds (click to show/hide)

I also made other civil war weapons, like the 1842 musket, the enfield, and a couple modern weapons, like the AK47, which has a tendency to puncture lungs. 

Spoiler: The Science (click to show/hide)

Might post a weapons pack, but I'm just messing around in the arena right now. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 01:09:40 am by alamoes »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: November 22, 2022, 01:03:53 pm »

I always appreciate more guns!
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: November 22, 2022, 03:10:04 pm »

I made a civ somewhat based upon the Keivan Rus and slavs more broadly, dubbing them the Polesniki after the Polesia region shared between Poland, Belarus, Ukraine and Russia speculated to be the homeland of the proto-slavic tribes from the late dark age through medieval times. Even made some flavor gear for them, and ZM5 provided a language file for them that sounds vaguely slavic.

So far a test fort is going okay, they and their gear don't throw any errors and the test even helped me find a problem with SVE surprisingly enough (turns out the problem was the drakelings not having their race name set properly.)

Speaking of SVE, I still need to figure out why my arsenical bronze reactions aren't working properly. They output the right stuff, but unless a small bug regarding the quantity of reagents was the issue, then there's something else going on cause I put reaction classes on the relavent stuff and yet it still says the reaction's able to be run even when there's no arsenicables on hand.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: November 22, 2022, 03:28:50 pm »

Now it should be in a slightly better state and testing can commence.

Oh god, the amount of copy-paste errors and typos in reagents I've made... This might take some time to try out since I'm apparently "blind" to my own text and have missed most when going through the raws. Welp.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: November 25, 2022, 04:05:18 am »

My Miscmod! has been officially renamed to Urist's Guide to the World, in reference to Volo's Guide series.
Before I reupload it, I'm bringing the mod to modern standards: making arthropods more anatomically correct, splitting mammals file into multiple smaller ones, adding [CREATURE_CLASS:ASHIMMUNE] where appropriate, some other stuff.

I looked back at the latest batch of creatures, namely demons. I've left the lilim without interactions.
For completion's sake, I'll also add a minor lust demon, the jahi - a feminine fiend that lack the subtlety of the succubus - instead of draining life essence in an abstract way, they drain it with blood. Jahi also have bird-like talons and scorpion tails.

I'm also finally merging the Guide with my unreleased Cavern fauna. Only now I'm realizing how much work there's left  :-\  Well, nobody is forcing me to do this; I'm doing it for fun.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: November 25, 2022, 06:57:44 pm »

Im mostly drawing sprites, and realizing how much i dont know about drawing sprites. Worst part is, I have no idea how theyll look in the upcoming version of the game. Using them in the current version isnt very enlightening.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: November 26, 2022, 12:17:19 pm »

Im mostly drawing sprites, and realizing how much i dont know about drawing sprites. Worst part is, I have no idea how theyll look in the upcoming version of the game. Using them in the current version isnt very enlightening.

Couldn't you photoshop them into the released screenshots of the new version?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: November 26, 2022, 02:46:58 pm »

Technically, but I have no idea how the engine will render them. Like, color wise, and how transparency will work (like will it be gradient transparency or boolean.) They're greyscale with gradient transparency for now, I'm making them in Gimp because that's what I got
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: November 26, 2022, 04:55:57 pm »

I'm in a similar boat. A brief analysis of some of the sprites revealed so far has shown two categories, sprites intended for recolor (e.g Dwarves, Elves,) and sprites that are not (e.g most creatures). Recolorable sprites seem to consistently have 6 shades per color while non-recolorables vary wildly (I've counted anywhere from 5 to 13), which is useful to know, but not knowing exactly how those sprites are composited makes it hard to do more than preliminary concept sprites. And since the release is coming out so soon, I figure I might as well just wait rather than doing a bunch of work that might turn out to be useless.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: November 29, 2022, 05:36:24 pm »

A basic mod for implementing evolution in DF:

Includes mass extinction events and subsequent evolutionary radiation of the surviving creatures to fill in the perceived gaps in the ecosystem.

"The climate change drastically effected the oceans, wiping out 70% of all marine life. As a consequence, animals from the land began to return to the ocean in mass."

In the above case, you might get sea-monkeys (or perhaps sea-apes), as well as fluffy kitty plesiosaurs.

You the run the script before world-gen and what happens is, let's say in the case of a randomly determined mass marine life extinction, the function backs up your root folder's creature raws, and then proceeds to remove 70% of all of the aquatic animals in those raws. Next, the script goes through and picks random land creatures to spawn new sub-species to fill the new gaps in the bio-sphere. Those selected creatures have their raws duplicated and then modified to fill a role. Depending on what role is needed, the creature may receive new body proportions, traits, or even limbs, in order to feed on their new diet or to protect themselves from predators. Additional elements added are to their name and description. Finally a new creature_radiant_evolution.txt is written to the object/raw/ folder which contains the new species. And you're free to run world-gen.

Theres another approach that was the original idea, where creatures would evolve over time but on a scale that would allow the player to observe the phenomena, as world-gen slows down to much by year 200 alone, to even consider trying to let it run to year 2,000,000. The script was going to produce produce a number of each variant with a sliding scale of the augmented physical features. But the tricky part here was in figuring out how to temporally limit when each variant would and wouldn't spawn in a world. There might be a way to do it, but IDK. The idea was that in a world that is 200 years old, a player might notice in addition to the normal domestic cats present, there are also "Urist fruit cats" that they'll find running around, which are not carnivorous and instead eat fruit. While a world that is 2000 years old, that same player might begin to notice that these cats now possess 6 meter long necks they use to grab high-hanging fruit out of trees, and additionally now possess impressively large molars, that are broad and flat, which these cats can use to casually break through coconut husks.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 05:46:52 pm by dikbutdagrate »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #1616 on: November 30, 2022, 06:53:54 am »

-snip-

Oh wow, that sounds cool. Is there a notion of what can eat what, or is it just a general thing where every carnivore can hunt any small-enough prey, and every non-carnivore eating all kinds of plants. Considering the vanilla raws don't give much info about this beyond GRAZER, SPECIFIC_FOOD, CARNIVORE, VERMIN_HUNTER, and ROOT_AROUND.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: December 01, 2022, 02:28:47 am »

got inspired to make a kitfox game's mod prototype and picked boyfriend dungeon ended up uhh realizing having a creature turn into a sword that you swing around might be more akin to swinging around a corpse.
but after getting the creature raws fixed I just ended up with a creature that turns into a sword that just cuts into foes with extreme sharpness.

which after that I realize I could have been making creatures that attack by using social/passive skills instead of combat skills so one could make a bard creature that sings someone's limbs off.
or someone who a novelist write someone's death in.
and combats skills train on each attack so someone with no reading could gain the ability to read through violence.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: December 05, 2022, 01:30:20 pm »

Brace yourselves.

Updating time is coming.
My mods and forum games.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: December 05, 2022, 01:57:11 pm »

But I'm not ready yet! I have hardly any sprites made!

And I have no idea how to actually use them!
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 118