Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 118

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 252827 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1710 on: January 27, 2023, 01:14:09 am »

Great. It was only yesterday I was searching for "bismuth" in the hopes someone had a simple solution posted here somewhere.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 30, 2023, 04:26:15 am »

My attempt in making the succubi corporate friendly is meeting resistance. Now that I made them sprites, it's obvious that they care little about clothing and start half naked.
There is bottom wear available in the civ, and they dress up when I make some at the clothier. But they don't start covered and now I'm reviewing my life choices.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 04:47:05 am by Boltgun »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 01, 2023, 04:28:27 am »

ok spent probably a month trying to figure out animal entity tokens interactions in 50 and how to get full petition citizens from them.

it seems like the process requires the non-historical figure to kill something or someone to become a historical figure and after that live in the fort for 2 years to work up the courage to petition.
creatures that lived in the fort previously that had not kill anyone but gain a historical figure would probably not gain one until after you retire and unretire the fort which then the +2 year wait will be triggered and after those +2 years they will petition.

this does make playing multi-culture forts more lopsided but more possible to do fort mode only than it was in 47 where you only got access to the starting embark citizens.

having test this out with a mock up version of an underground mining disaster civ had left me with an experience of 'dang I sure grown attach to seeing these 20 foot tall humanoids petition to join a site after years of hard work.'

there like a few test I need to do to see if it's possible to speed up the process but so far one of them requires conquering a site and probably exiling the animal entity token gotten citizen to that place and recalling them back with a messenger.
which might cut down the wait from 2 years but from what I experimented on you can't exile non-historical figures and or pets that goes into the pet tab so the process for getting them historical figures might lead to the question do one wait out 2 years for a petition or do you risk conquering a site and sending the unit off to a small trip to a new location and recall them back?

though I guess if you retire and unretire this will give all the non-hist-figs citizens connections to your civ and probably histfigs so sending them off to a site you own might be a bit faster?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 12, 2023, 08:00:42 am »

Finally dove into graphics raws to match up the new items and materials in my mod to existing graphics (not that interested in having them look different). Two new weapons, two new materials that all weapons and armour can be made of. Took quite a while and I'm pretty happy with the result, but the gatekeeping, elitist part of my brain can't help but tut about how much the barrier to modding has jumped up with the Steam release (at least until a text tileset version is decently playable).

Need layered minotaurs and hobbits for it to be complete, that'll have to wait. Not gonna learn how to make pixel art now.

Other than that, very pleased to have arena to play with to check everything is still working. Love the option to shoot the temperature up to "Dragonfire" when things start to get cluttered.

Will get round to making this guy a bit smaller and more purple at some point.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: February 15, 2023, 06:47:05 pm »

Pretty happy to find that I can add weapon graphics to animal people without having to build the whole damn thing from scratch. Just two layers. Basic sprite and dwarf_wieldables.
Won't match up perfectly every time. But good enough for me, and not too much work as I only have eight animal person civs.

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: February 20, 2023, 11:21:11 am »

I have recently added an evil race of Dark Dwarves to the game, along with an evil but civilized Undead/Forsaken-style-Human Civ and a "Bandit"-like Human civ for a fun twist. I also went and tweaked Emilovich's "The Language Overhaul" and got it working with Steam to my liking, it adds a nice feel to the game. Lastly, I added reactions to be able to create gem weapons & armor, but sadly they don't seem to want to equip my gem gauntlets & boots, despite claiming them for their uniform. Oh well. 

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: March 01, 2023, 05:03:26 am »

I'm gonna try and make a DCSS (Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup) mod that adds races, monsters, and spells from that game into DF. Since the game has very little lore, I have a blank check to do as I please.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: March 09, 2023, 02:18:45 pm »

Still trying to get an excrement and waste management mod going. Which, now requires that I learn how to mod premium, and do sprinting. So it's a process.

Recently, I tried replacing dwarf blood with a yellow palette swapped substance called urine, which was toxic for dwarves. My intention was to remove their actual need to have blood, but have them still continue to produce it. It wasn't ideal, but I thought it could be a better solution than the complex interaction syndrome logic chains I had been struggling with thus far. 

But allow me to just say that this mod will never see the light of the day, lol. And in case this hadn't already immediately come to mind for you as you're reading this, allow me to illuminate why this approach is a bad idea: For starters, I cannot even begin to describe how weird vampires are.

Sure they're basically free dialysis machines, that can receive criminal charges. But, thats kind of the problem. In one particular circumstance involving piss vampires, you'd likely see some behavior that would resemble a contemporary U.S. court case a little too closely.1 Obviously, this approach is pretty terrible, due to a myriad of reasons. The most notable of which are the issues that can arise when vampires are enabled. I mean, if the vampires are caught you can punish them, I guess? But I don't see the need to model any of this. Unless certain alterations are made to several intelligent species, or a custom vampire is defined, its best just to scrap this approach entirely.

--------------------
-- Heres just a preliminary color changing test I did with modified clones of troll raws by palette swapping blood_magenta.png so we can use our own unique colored spite graphics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The state_color for the yellow blood is "fuchsia", yellow itself redirects to mud.png, as the game only considers the closest available foreground color. And with splatter liquids in premium, that foreground color will then be redirected one of several splatter liquid sprite images located in the vanilla_environment image folder. Note: Although magenta itself isn't listed within the game's own color palette, a number of graphical assets and reference tables will mention or be called magenta, or light magenta. But yeah, if you list [STATE_COLOR:ALL:MAGENTA] under a creature's blood definition, this will result with the game going with the default blood splatter png. However, "fuchsia" works just fine!

-- The basic concept of a "bat-room" that dwarves use to relieve themselves of their toxic urine blood:
The idea was that if their blood made them a little sleepy, they'd path to their bedroom to take a nap. Where some kind of bat or giant mosquito could be chained up to siphon the urine, and then fall asleep. It definitely needed some work, and to like, remove the attack flag from the siphon blood stuff, so it didn't cause panic, and cause the dwarves to destroy all their toilet bats and mosquitos. But dumping waste into giant mosquitos isn't really the end game we have in mind. Sewer system micro is what we're aiming for, not just a giant flying towel cloth, that sucks vomit out of people's stomachs.

-- This last one may be indicative of progress, maybe?
After looking over the cave floater raws, I had an idea which would allow me to scrap the entire interaction granting chain of syndromes model, as this is a headache. I added templates, body parts, and body plan structure to facilitate both an internal bladder, as well as a urine liquid tissue layer, located underneath the bladder. And the liquid "regrows." The idea is that it can be expelled a couple times a day. Fecal matter will have its own "regrowth cycle" as well. However, upon reviewing some initial tests, its not immediately clear what kind of progress I've made:
It kind of works? But it's using the wrong substance, and I can't seem to find any urine anywhere, and IDK why this particular organ is melting. Actually, I think maybe I do know, but now I'm confused, and my heads getting fuzzy. 

1. The United States vs. R. Kelly, (2019)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 02:13:40 am by dikbutdagrate »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: March 09, 2023, 04:19:31 pm »

One can not but admire your tenacity in trying to get pee and poo to work.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: March 09, 2023, 05:11:19 pm »

The melting problem is related to liquid tissue layers. It will drain the entirety of the liquid tissue layer from the entire body regardless of what body part is actually injured. So if they get a cut on their finger, you'll have piss spraying out of the wound until the tissue is entirely depleted.

I tried to make giant ants that had an acid layer on a section of their abdomen once. It had the same problem. Any injury to any body part and the acid would leak everywhere.

I would suggest you just use a self-targeted item creation interaction to have them create filfth at their location, but you want them to do it in a sanitary, civilized manner instead of just dropping a deuce wherever and letting other dwarves haul it off, it seems.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: March 09, 2023, 05:23:20 pm »

-- This last one may be indicative of progress, maybe?
After looking over the cave floater raws, I had an idea which would allow me to scrap the entire interaction granting chain of syndromes model, as this is a headache. I added templates, body parts, and body plan structure to facilitate both an internal bladder, as well as a urine liquid tissue layer, located underneath the bladder. And the liquid "regrows." The idea is that it can be expelled a couple times a day. Fecal matter will have its own "regrowth cycle" as well. However, upon reviewing some initial tests, its not immediately clear what kind of progress I've made:
Are you saying you managed to get it to regrow, or just that you plan to?
My evil Hobbits leak putrid seawater from their feet (defense mechanism against minotaurs whose horns rot if they step in it, causing despair). However, I didn't find a way to grow it back at the time. To be fair, if a minotaur has already punched a hole in a Hobbit, they're not likely to survive that long, but it would be nice if the survivors could regenerate and not be forever shunned by polite society.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: March 09, 2023, 09:00:14 pm »

My evil Hobbits leak putrid seawater from their feet (defense mechanism against minotaurs whose horns rot if they step in it, causing despair).

I can't even begin to describe what's going on in my head after reading this, lol.

(Also, just woke up and it's four in the night over here.)

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: March 10, 2023, 02:11:22 am »

The melting problem is related to liquid tissue layers. It will drain the entirety of the liquid tissue layer from the entire body regardless of what body part is actually injured. So if they get a cut on their finger, you'll have piss spraying out of the wound until the tissue is entirely depleted.

I tried to make giant ants that had an acid layer on a section of their abdomen once. It had the same problem. Any injury to any body part and the acid would leak everywhere.

I would suggest you just use a self-targeted item creation interaction to have them create filfth at their location, but you want them to do it in a sanitary, civilized manner instead of just dropping a deuce wherever and letting other dwarves haul it off, it seems.

Yeah its that last bit thats complicated. If there was a normal way to remove interactions from creatures, that would make this a lot easier. Just having a cooldown and self targeted interaction that makes the substance sounds fine. But I wanted there to be repercussions for not getting rid of it. Miasma was the logical means of how to do this, but most won't produce miasma, even when you add the tags for it.

So I ended up having the dwarves spawn a "raw_fish dwarf male". Which looked like the dwarves, but were actually poop statues. These would then rot into butchered dwarf corpses. Which would then produce miasma, once they in turn had rotted. And the dwarves wouldn't automatically touch the body parts, for various reasons, unless they were manually designated for dumping.

I really want a substance that produces miasma, is a liquid thats called waste or whatever, and can be flushed down a grate. This is the ideal.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 02:24:16 am by dikbutdagrate »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: March 10, 2023, 05:00:45 am »

My evil Hobbits leak putrid seawater from their feet (defense mechanism against minotaurs whose horns rot if they step in it, causing despair).

I can't even begin to describe what's going on in my head after reading this, lol.

(Also, just woke up and it's four in the night over here.)
Yeah, this bit of the mod was me indulging in some dark thoughts. The unspoken concept is that the cheerful cheesemakers are in fact, not hobbits at all but something that crawled out of the sea during the breaking of the world and took over their forms.

Only hint in game is when you happen to spot the extremely rare thought of a random dwarf who "likes true hobbits for their tragic past". Oh, and when the minotaur dancing in your tavern suddenly goes berserk after stepping in a pool of hobbit water...

No one will ever know it's there, but that's OK, because likely no-one but me will ever play it. :)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: March 10, 2023, 05:50:03 am »

No one will ever know it's there, but that's OK, because likely no-one but me will ever play it. :)

Best part of personal mods, if you ask me.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 118