Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What would it be like?  (Read 915 times)

xXDzepniXx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What would it be like?
« on: August 13, 2017, 05:35:23 pm »

I always wondered how it would be like if player necromancers had the ability to command and conquer with their undead armies. Just think, gathering ~50-100 undead soldiers for your cruel endeavors, to command those soldiers to make you a tower or perhaps a stronghold. To have the ability to get an apprentice that becomes a general under your name, armies which move out and into villages, towns, castles. The armies destroy and conquer, and the conquered and their allies do coalitions to stop you. Think, to fight against the whole world of Dwarf Fortress, to have all villages and towns know your name with deep fear. That the entire world is in danger of you. Think of seeing your undead armies walking upon the map, think of the legends viewer and seeing all undead armies under your command and the destruction that they bring with every step they take. Wouldn't that be a thrill? To know that the only true threat are your generals, the undead can do nothing. To know you can go in villages and towns and terrify any who recognize you, that they know their village can be destroyed within an instant. To know the entire world is there for you to raze, that nothing is holy and unholy so long as you allow it to be. To know you stand against all things, and the conquest of the world proves it. Think about all the artifacts you may go after, and what power it may rise along side being the emperor of the world. Taking the tablet which reveals a Demon's name and crushing the demon which will only prove further your strength. The entire world is there at your mercy, you can imagine the undead armies clashing against all of your enemies, the countless undead that will serve, and the countless living that will fear it. The swords which were forged in fire only to be lost in battle, to imagine the entire world hiding away from you and your power which you alone hold. Perhaps even to make your apprentices feared of you. You can imagine the several thousands of undead moving on the map towards the destruction of your enemy, to know that your enemy is trembling with fear waiting to run away the moment they spot your undead. Just imagine what a great feeling it will be to rise to power, then to take over the world, then to destroy it. To know the countless few that stand in your way are nothing more than ants going against a god. This is the world I imagine, this is the world of Dwarf Fortress I hope to be able to one day play.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: What would it be like?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 04:23:33 am »

All of that is possible in current version. Fulfil your dreams, Urist.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:12:33 am »

All of that is possible in current version. Fulfil your dreams, Urist.
Taking on an apprentice and sending armies out while you stay at home isn't really feasible right now though, is it?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 10:55:43 am »

You can arrange taking on an apprentice with fort mode scholarships. You can lead undead armies alongside your own, or you can get you and your companions to join a civ that is at war with someone you'd like to have them fight as some types of soldiers as well as take over a site.

xXDzepniXx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 01:53:16 pm »

You can arrange taking on an apprentice with fort mode scholarships. You can lead undead armies alongside your own, or you can get you and your companions to join a civ that is at war with someone you'd like to have them fight as some types of soldiers as well as take over a site.
I can understand the fort mode, but it still sounds not totally supported. I don't think I should have to go back and forth between adventure mode and fortress mode. We have campsites we can build already, how far is that from ordering your undead to simply carry wood or stone to a location? I mean if undead can hit, they can damn well carry. I really don't want to join anyone else's civilization, nor do I want to create a civilization while in adventure mode, that function belongs in fortress mode. It's simply just people knowing who you are, what you are doing and allowing that to spread, it will create fame and reputation.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 08:17:24 pm »

Yeah, it's a workaround, much like fast travel map instead of walking on foot (both being abstractions).

Hm, if I recall correctly you can get your companions to carry stuff via trading/giving and work on same site that you're building, but haven't tried adv mode much. If you can't get it to work for your undead minions it is deliberate feature, not a bug.

Technically, you create a civilization whenever you create a performance troupe, but not the same thing. Only proper civilizations with sites do actual (post-)worldgen wars indeed; without declaration of war it is just random acts of terrorism committed by you and your friends, much like IRL. (Don't know what happens if you set yourself to be an army controller with dfhack, though you can join a sieging army if willing to use it - but not really possible by default if needing to use third party tools, then.)

Rumors do spread, but I don't know how much it continues after you go somewhere else. You definitely can get ambushed in the n-n-name of Obeiscant Vegetation, to use an example of your fame affecting people you haven't met in person yet.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:15:05 pm by Fleeting Frames »