Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How should I have dealt with this?  (Read 2506 times)

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How should I have dealt with this?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 04:34:17 am »

In my experience werebeasts never caused much trouble for me, maybe I was just lucky, because I often detect them far away from any civilians. The only time I got any trouble from werebeasts wasn't that bad. Werecreature attacked my log haulers and even killed two of them. But nobody was infected. In fact, nobody was bitten at all, those who died were actually killed by their own underwear.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's funny how it managed to crush their skulls using braies.

Other than that, even in my above ground fortress with no walls, werebeasts never killed or injured anyone. Once wereiguana got into my drowning chambers, which were located near the edge of the map, and spend whole full moon destroying floor grates in there. Which go me thinking that you can place some random furniture on the surface to detect, or even prevent its attacks this way.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:36:01 am by Nolimit »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 10:19:07 am »

Yes, you can use buildables to delay/detect weres. Unfortunately, they'll also attract trolls and ogres (from gobbo sieges) as well as Titans, so a substantial number of detection devices means substantial replacement after each siege. You CAN, of course, have the device inside of drawbridge protectable enclosures so you can close all of them when a siege arrives by pulling a lever. However, it's probably easier to build detection dog boxes inside of which you lock your adopting cats. Build them raised with a grate as the floor and they should have a decent chance of detecting sneakers. Of course, you'll either have to brick the critters in or use drawbridges, or else the doors will act as bait.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 12:44:19 pm »

Detection Tower:
Build a roofed 2z tower (3x4),
with a stairs+hatch tile and  a grate tile. 
Pasture an animal up there,
and lock the hatch.

Or be fancy and build a pasture + glasswindow + fortification thick lookout tower. 
I'd put a hunting dog there for extra visibility range.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 03:43:53 pm »

If you don't mind replacement, you can patrol a large area if you just place mother animal cages near end of patrol point. The puppies, or what have you, will constantly run between mother and meeting zone. (Not tested extensively, but kind of neat to watch.)
Pages: 1 [2]