Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How can I get my dwarves to make out?  (Read 4390 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can I get my dwarves to make out?
« on: August 14, 2017, 04:46:27 pm »

So I have this fort going with population cap 7: five girls and two boys. A few years in, the female leader, Sodel Konosshis, says she personally values romance, but she is still calling Thikut Endokegath, the Brewer/Cook, a "friend". If asked about Sarvesh Ustuthalis the miner, she says she is "on friendly terms" with him.  :-\
And as the years go by, not only is my fortress failing to grow, but worse, I see Sodel slowly sinking into a depression. No luxury furnishment can offer consolation.
(I did assign one of the other dwarfgirls the custom profession of "gelder", hope this has nothing to do with it.)

The mission is clear: hot steamy dwarf love. My tavern clearly isn't cosy enough for them. I am thinking of building a ridiculously large new one with all brass floors, walls, tables and chairs, and lots of golden statues. If that doesn't bring a dwarf in the mood, I don't know what will. Ideas?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get my dwarves to make out?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:06:05 pm »

From what I understand, you actually want less space for your dwarves to mingle if you want them to develop relationships. They need to be on the same tile for a while to make friends and eventually partnerships - which is something they won't seek out naturally on their own. There's also a chance that the dwarf simply isn't interested in forming long term or even more casual relationships (pretty sure oreination is defined completely seperetly from a dwarf's personality).
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:12:00 pm »

Same tile or adjacent tile (so eating at same table works, albeit tends to give minor bad thought on average), but yeah.

You need to check your girls and guys both have suitable orientation, personality and are within 10 years of age, Then lock them into 2x2 to 3x3 room for one-two seasons. It's entirely possible to have nobody in starting seven willing to marry - recently ran quick three-decade unrelated test fort in the background with no babies due that.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:23:06 pm »

Thanks for the info!

After crossing off age gaps, an asexual and one grudge, it turns out there are three potential matches. Time to set up some dates. Will build a dedicated dating room, very small with a nicely decorated bed.  :P
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:28:38 pm by Quarque »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:59:30 pm »

I've managed a few times to convince dwarfs to marry, but it works at most half of the time. I think the likelihood is higher if the couple has similar professions (like for example when they are both miners) but it could be coincidential.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 03:08:30 am »

They'll be happier to tie the knot if doing so is possible for the two if they share interests, yeah.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 03:32:42 am »

The "dating room" should have two beds, one dedicated to each participant so it acts as their overlapping bedrooms as well. They'll sleep in their own beds, but at least one (or both) won't have to sleep on the floor.
Marriage encouragement suits work almost all the time for me, provided the candidates meet the following conditions:
- Of the same race (rather obvious)
- Willing to marry the opposite gender
- Not married (as widowed dwarves don't remarry)
- Max 10 years age difference
- Not related (rumors have it that only siblings are off limits, but those related fail the next line [and note that off fortress relations don't abide by either this or the age one: histfig relations are full of people who have a parent who's also a grand parent])
- Relations show at least one of them has at least a passing knowledge of the other (for some reason relations are not always mutual). Obviously, grudges result in automatic failure. This is my big stumbling stone, as I don't have any method to get them to recognize each other. I've seen suggestions and will try some in my next fortress.
- No indications they will refuse (abhor the though of marriage, etc). Extreme shyness etc. seems to make it take longer and have a greater risk of failure, but it's not an automatic failure condition.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 05:21:04 am »

Yeah maybe it doesn't work out for some reason, we will see. At least I know now that there are three potential couples that meet the basic conditions (compatible age and orientation, no grudge). Not sure about siblings.

If the dating fails it will still be fun, it will be a live dating show. 8) If it interests people I can post a report with the candidates, their emo profiles, the dating setup and the results later.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 05:34:37 am »

@PatrikLundell: On relations, I've read that cousins show up as such until marriage; their lover being hidden. I expect having met the others is hidden on similar basis.

I'm curious what the personalities are like for the ones who fail when they're not at least passing acquittance. I've had a few marriages fail to happen due personality (I've had friends and marriages both for even people with friendliness and friendship being both 1 tier from lowest, though I've also had people who just live in same nuptial suite, stubbornly refusing to become friends).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 07:21:10 am »

My wordings might not have been clear. I've also heard cousins can marry. What I meant is that them being related cause them to fail MY criterion of recognition on the relations screen (and if only siblings are off limits due to being related, aunts/uncles probably behave as cousins: given how long dorfs (and humans) are fertile, it's not uncommon for dorfs to be the same age as some of their parents' siblings).

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 09:58:26 am »

you can change the orientation tag to make everyone straight and want to get married (if you just want lots of babies for an army or something)

this is for females
[ORIENTATION:MALE:0:50:100]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:100:0:0]

this is for males
[ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:50:100]

you can change the 50 into a 100 to guarantee that everyone will want to get married, i have it set to 50 because i find that it gives me enough babies. (maybe 1/3rd the population is children)
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 04:09:13 pm »

you can change the orientation tag to make everyone straight and want to get married (if you just want lots of babies for an army or something)

this is for females
[ORIENTATION:MALE:0:50:100]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:100:0:0]

this is for males
[ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:50:100]

you can change the 50 into a 100 to guarantee that everyone will want to get married, i have it set to 50 because i find that it gives me enough babies. (maybe 1/3rd the population is children)
How do you change the orientation for dwarves?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 05:48:40 pm »

The question is unclear.
If you're talking about everyone you'd modify entity_defaults.txt in line with steel jackal's description (into the female/male sub sections). If you want to modify individual dorfs in fortress mode gaydar or gui/gm-editor can be used.

Pumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 12:50:51 am »

They don't re-marry if widowed? That's unfortunate. It would be nice if they did.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 02:58:58 am »

Yes, it would be nice. It would also lead to an even higher rate of "unfortunate accidents" in player fortresses...

I suspect the reason they don't remarry is that it requires extra work to allow them to. It's simple to just wipe the previous marriage off their record and replace it with the new one, but that would lead to inconsistencies in the history data. The appropriate thing would be to replace the spouse element with a list (and that would probably open up for polygamy as well).
Pages: [1] 2 3