Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How can I get my dwarves to make out?  (Read 4357 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get my dwarves to make out?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 04:57:22 am »

It's already open, sort of. You can get dwarves with both spouse and lover with retirement screwiness.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 08:20:15 am »

The question is unclear.
If you're talking about everyone you'd modify entity_defaults.txt in line with steel jackal's description (into the female/male sub sections). If you want to modify individual dorfs in fortress mode gaydar or gui/gm-editor can be used.

Where in Entity_default is the Orientation tag? Because I can't find it and neither can the "View" tool

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 08:33:36 am »

The question is unclear.
If you're talking about everyone you'd modify entity_defaults.txt in line with steel jackal's description (into the female/male sub sections). If you want to modify individual dorfs in fortress mode gaydar or gui/gm-editor can be used.

Where in Entity_default is the Orientation tag? Because I can't find it and neither can the "View" tool

Orientation is defined in creatures, not entity_default.txt.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 03:52:05 pm »

Alright, the first date has been set up. The dating room is a small room with two beds and plenty of golden furniture, designated as two overlapping bedrooms.

The miner Sarvesh can be barely contain his nerves, as he will be dating for the first time in his life. He's seen little of the dwarven ladies so far, always working in remote places.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ominously "He tends to avoid any physical confrontations, though he is conflicted by this for more than one reason." He will definitely have to overcome his anxiety if he is to get anywhere with Id, a shy girl who spent most of her life engraving and planting pigtails:

They have already been spotted dancing in the tavern together. Will love blossom between them? Bets can still be placed, minimum deposit five kitten bones.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 11:57:41 pm »

Well, I think it will blossom, though I wouldn't pick Id as scholar. No inclination towards abstract thinking? Oh my.

Unless your goal is to have scholars who don't want to think abstractly and hate knowledge, in a kind of reverse from the usual.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 02:06:53 am »

Physical confrontation is about making war, not love... Being conflicted about avoiding it typically happens when martial prowess is an inspiring ideal. It's probably a good thing not to let the fists do the talking when disagreeing with a would be spouse (although there are dorfs who actually like quarreling and talking with their fists, so those could possibly marry each other).

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 01:53:29 pm »

Well, I think it will blossom, though I wouldn't pick Id as scholar. No inclination towards abstract thinking? Oh my.
You´re a winner: they fell in love! I overheard them arguing: "why do I always have to do the abstract thinking?"

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 05:53:58 pm »

The appropriate thing would be to replace the spouse element with a list (and that would probably open up for polygamy as well).
Sorry if this is too off topic but please use the term "polyamory" instead of "polygamy" as the first refers to a group of people all, entirely consenting to a relationship together. The latter is something else.
'ere the Chias get hungry...

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 09:33:42 pm »

I know virtually nothing about the topic, but the dictionaries I consulted and Wikipedia all seem to disagree with your statement.  In fact Wikipedia is careful to point out: "Confusion arises when polyamory is misapplied in a broader sense, as an umbrella term for various forms of consensual non-monogamous, multi-partner relationships (including polyamory), or consensual non-exclusive sexual or romantic relationships."

My casual reading of the 2 Wikipedia articles on the subject seem to indicate that

- Polyamory is a term that was defined in the 1990s.  Before that, there was no term for it in English (which is probably why I have never heard the term before).

- Polygamy is a cultural/religious custom of having more than one spouse.  The key point for it to be polygamous is that the marriages must be recognised (even if banned) by the culture.  Consent is not part of the definition, one way or the other (just like there are both consensual and non-consensual monogamous marriages).

- Polyamorous relationships do not necessarily have to involve marriages that are recognised by the culture (whether banned or not).

So in the context in which we are speaking, it seems that Polygamy is the correct term, AFAICT.  We are literally talking about dwarfs with multiple concurrent spouses -- not about dwarfs with multiple concurrent consensual relationships.

I may be wrong, but it's possible that I detect that you prefer Polyamory as being something that is more moral than Polygamy -- and hence the desire to use that term instead.  I don't have a horse in the race, as they say (non-monogamous relationships are definitely not my thing, but I don't want to judge what others think is good for them).  My intent is not to step on your toes but I'm rather OCD about precise language so I'm curious about the distinction.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 10:23:26 pm »

Thank you for taking the time to actually fact check.

Your definitions align with mine, my usage was off.

As a person who has been in non-monogamous relationships before, I simply get tired of polygamy being the most used umbrella term, as it has some bad implications, and I try to spread awareness of the term polyamory instead. Unlike this case, most of the time when people use polygamy, they're actually referring to polyamory. In polyamorous communities its one of those 'meta discourse' things that gets discussed quite a lot.
Apologies if my previous post came off as rude, you are correct.
More unrelated to the topic at hand discussion:
'ere the Chias get hungry...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 03:10:40 am »

Given the DF does have a "lover" relation, making that a list as well as the spouse one would allow for polyamorous relations of both the official and unofficial kind, but it would be a bit of a hassle as every list of every party involved would have to be updated when the group changes (although it would allow for group members to have "private" relations to individuals outside of the group).

However, given that the list idea was tossed in to deal with monogamous remarriage, it's a bit of an extension (although not beyond the realm of what Toady might want to implement).

I disagree with Toxicshadow's statement that most usages of the word polygamy are misused references to polyamory (like mikekchar, I wasn't aware of that term itself before), as most of the society doesn't deal much with polyamory at all, so most references to polygamy are to the legal (or not) formal kind practiced in various cultures. If I've been discussing the various group relations in the past (which I don't know if I have), I certainly wouldn't have used the term polygamy.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 11:44:16 am »

Follow-up question.

Now my fortress has one married couple and one couple of lovers. However, years have gone by, and still no babies. What could be the cause?

My settings are:
Population cap 7 (and 7 dwarves in the fort)
Strict population cap 34
Child cap 1000/1000
I have about 70 pets running around and 3 guests.

Could the game be counting pets toward the strict population cap?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:46:02 am by Quarque »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 12:00:31 pm »

Are your dwarves of opposite sex and able to meet in adjacent tiles?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 12:03:13 pm »

Yes and yes.. the married couple also has a shared bedroom now. Although the problem might be that they do not actually "meet in adjacent tiles" enough, cause my layout is inefficient and they spend a lot of time travelling to and fro.. maybe that's it, then?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 12:20:31 pm »

Yes, I tend to have to "encourage" couples to procreate by burrowing them in their room as I did when getting them to marry, but without making it a tavern zone. Once you get them both in there (which is fiddly because they frequently violate burrowing orders by drinking/eating/sleeping in the burrow, run away and THEN figure out what to do, and since they've now left the burrow they go to the tavern...), they have the same things to do as real world couples when the light goes out. They only have to be in adjacent (or the same) tile for a few ticks to get the process going (can be checked with DFHack). Once the female is pregnant I deactivate the burrow.
Without encouragement their reproduction rate is rather low, as they spend their off time in the tavern/temple/library, not cuddling their spouses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3