Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: production orders with conditions  (Read 1174 times)

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
production orders with conditions
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:04:02 am »

Hi there!

Something I've been wondering for a while now...
The condition to limit the production of a certain item, does it also count damaged goods?
For example I've got a recurring production order for socks with a condition to only produce until a total amount of 10 pieces is reached to prevent overproduction.
If damaged stuff counts, too, then a condition like won't do me any favors...

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: production orders with conditions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:52:26 am »

Yes, it counts :-(  My solution is to atom smash discarded clothes.

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:14:01 pm »

Ah, dammit D:
Seems like I'll have to think of a good system to get rid of that stuff.

Thanks for telling me :)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 12:10:04 am »

I sell old XclothesX periodically to the traders.

...I've never bothered to automate my clothing industry, but it would be great....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 06:15:20 am »

I sell old XclothesX periodically to the traders.

...I've never bothered to automate my clothing industry, but it would be great....

That's what I usually do, too...
Some years ago the human's guild representative was stupid enough to leave my fort through the trap corridor during a siege and got himself killed.
Now they claim to be at war with me.
During their last visit the elves got angry when I tried to sell them some old clothes...
I guess there was something decorated with wood among the stuff D:
And at least once a year I get a goblin siege, so there's hardly an opportunity to sell it off.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 06:47:33 am »

Probably not wood but clear glass.

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 07:00:08 am »

Huh?
Have elves now developed sympathy for clear glass ingredients, too?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 07:23:06 am »

They know ash and pearlash requires burning trees.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 05:56:02 pm »

as for discarding clothes, doesn't magma do the trick?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 09:14:38 pm »

Not for adamantine clothing, which I doubt you have.

Otherwise, it doesn't take much to occasionally briefly bathe a single cabinet in magma. The task's difficulty scales nearly linearly with the numbers of cabinets, of course.
(Hm. In a list of terrible ideas, do the clothes auto-burn if it it is ‼lignite cabinet‼ ?)

Refuse stockpile will also degrade, albeit can't place that over bed and it erases beautiful floorspace.

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 09:15:58 am »

Sending off unwanted clothing to the digital nirvana isn't as difficult as sorting the rejects.
Disintegrating still useful stuff is someting I'd like to avoid :p

Can you somehow automate the whole process?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 03:05:51 pm »

Surely so, though mind that the only way to sort unworn clothes into a stockpile is by taking from clothier's workshop.

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 03:50:11 pm »

Which means buying clothing and looting it from corpses/prisoners becomes impractical.
So first I need a proper clothing industry and then I can implement a sorting system to de-clutter my stockpiles.

Thanks for all the useful hints you're giving :)

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 08:16:22 pm »

I like playing the "dwarfish mother" - If you don't pick up your clothes, they are going in the magma!

But really, once you have a clothes industry, it makes sense to upgrade to new fashion liberally.  Each dwarf has about 6-8 pieces of clothing.  Clothing does not wear out for a couple of years. With 100 dwarfs, you only need something like 2 pieces of new clothing a day -- it doesn't even keep a single clothier busy.

As Fleeting Frames said, the key to automating the clothing industry is linked stockpiles.  I keep the "Work In Progress" (WIP) fairly low (because you only need 2 pieces of cloth a day...).  So I have a dyer's shop with a thread stockpile.  The thread stockpile gives to the dyer's shop.  The loom has a thread stockpile that takes from the dyer's shop and takes only from links (this ensures that the stockpile only contains dyed thread).  That thread stockpile gives to the loom.  The clothier's shop has a cloth stockpile that takes only from links and takes from the loom.  Again, that ensures that the stockpile only contains dyed cloth.

With manager orders, I usually set a condition of having 2 days of stock in the intermediate stockpiles.  So if I think I'm going to be using 2 pieces of cloth a day, the `p` condition on the dyer will be at most 4 dyed thread and the `p` condition on the loom will be at most 4 dyed cloth.  You also need to make sure that all of the job sizes are the same.  So if you are doing 2 clothing checked daily, you will need a dye job of size 2 and a weaving job of size 2.

Because there maybe something like 8 different clothing types that you want to make, you probably actually want to have 8 different recurring jobs (checked daily) and you can use your inventory levels to limit production.  So if you only produce 2 dyed cloth a day, then you will only be able to produce 2 pieces of clothing a day.  This let's you specify a single job for each, checked daily, but not be making 8 pieces of clothing a day.

There are lots of things you can do after you get the basics set up.  For example, you can reject intermediate products based on quality.  If you are picky, you might want to only use masterwork cloth, for example.  If the input to the clothier only accepts masterwork cloth, then that's all you will use.  The rest will pile up in the loom.  You can then add a "reject" stockpile for other cloth and dump it occasionally, stick it in bins and sell it, or even use it as an input for sewing images later down the production line.

There are limitations.  Never use bins or barrels in intermediate stockpiles (unless you know what you are doing, and even then it usually isn't a good idea).  Every point in a production line needs it's own workshop.  You can't reasonably have loops because it usually breaks the stockpiles (unless you are careful).  It's easy to make mistakes with linked stockpiles, so you have to watch it like a hawk while you are setting it up. 

But all in all, setting up the production line is quite fun.  I enjoy this part of the game more than anything else, actually.