Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Get me to play Dwarf Fortress again  (Read 3336 times)

Torchwood202

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Get me to play Dwarf Fortress again
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 06:28:50 pm »

Watch Vinesauce Joel's Dwarf Fortress Streams. It's my sole motivation for playing DF.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 06:32:00 pm »

I've always been really weird playing in the past. Ragequitting when a Dwarf died, losing a 10 year old fort because I got a siege operator to accidentally shoot his son and a wound got infected, eternally turtling and hating dealing with goblins, disabling aquifers, etc.
I never do anything fun (!!) because I'm always tied down by this weird perfectionist obsession.

I once ragequit a game because I accidentally dug the wrong kind of staircase meaning that I needed to replace it with a construction.
You have more than one obsession and they are competing...

Do you want all your dwarfs to die of old age, or do you want the fun of conflict?

Do you want every action you take to be planned and "perfect", or do you want to enjoy the problem-solving and learning process?

Make one choice from each question before you start your fort, then as you play, throw out those thoughts you get that would compete.

You've seen messy forts and you've seen sterile turtle forts. DF can be a dirty, dirty game and the the Fun usually comes in forts that are littered with ugly trash; with important crafters being mangled by falling rocks; and some beast setting the forest on fire. It is true that forts can be destroyed by this fun, but you can always choose to play out a different type of fort another time.

Pick your objectives and make that your sole obsession. Write that down. When you feel a conflict and an urge to rage-quit, re-read and figure out what secondary obsession got into our head and beat it down.

Someone made a lava-spewing shark.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 08:26:58 pm »

I have felt the ragequit when dwarf dies more than once. Recently, in fact. Goblins attacked my fort and I lost 3 of my main military squad dwarves because everyone else was too damn slow to get there and help. I've found that taking a second to pause and remind myself that I'll get new dwarves helps a lot in cases like that. That life will go on even if it spirals out of control for awhile. Half the fun is trying to bring it back from spiralling.

Make it a challenge for yourself and say that even if you want to quit or reload or whatever, to continue it anyway just to see where it goes. Do things you don't usually do, like attacking the goblins or breaking open a cavern with an FB. Say "this fort will probably fail but it's a learning experience" or something of the sort. That way if things do go wrong, it was Just As Planned rather than an Armok Why ragequit. That's what I try to do.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 12:49:48 am »

Hi all.  I'm going to tag along and add that I too loved this game (or at least the dwarf mode version) several years ago and I have been unable to "get back into it" since.  It might be because I went overboard right from the start; playing non-stop all day for 6 months solid.

My last project for my first embark was punching a 5x5 hole through the semi-molten rock at the bottom of the world.  I got stumped on how just before the patch that allowed us to abandon and recapture.  I figure I could fill the 1x1 holes with obsidian and dug up alongside them after recapture, but that never happened.

I tried all the various challenges.  I even found an island that I could embark with ocean on all 4 sides (no migrants, no invaders).  My last challenge was to drain the magma sea without taking a pickaxe to stone, anywhere.  A month of work and I found I could drain the volcano but the magma at the bottom fills faster than all the water I could drop...and then I hit the max count for object creation.  It appears I did find the fastest way to max out that limit, heh.

I moved to theory.  I started designing prisoner cells.  One or two dwarves would toil their entire lives within a 9x9x1 room creating one or two items they would drop down a hole.  I dropped that effort when dwarves learned to climb.  I couldn't keep them in their cells after that.

My last goal was to learn how to do everything possible.  Sort of like completing all of the achievements.  I would have really liked to have found a hierarchy of "you need to know this before you can do that" for everything, but no one has made that (or I could not find it).

I almost bought a DF clone (on steam) but it felt wrong to do so; like I was betraying Toady One or something.  It is still fun to read what you guys write so I still lurk here from time to time.

I would like to get back into the game, but there is no light (feather weight) way to play dwarf mode that I know of.  That is what I'd really like these days.  A sort of short duration set of challenges.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 05:46:03 am »

Lightweight way? I like to do quick testing of minecart, or other such things. Load fort, adjust design until it works, save design to worksheet, kill the process. Depending on design, can take as little as five actual minutes, but probably half a hour at least.

It's probably not really what you're intending, though.

You maxed count for object creation...Okay, that's ...Yeah, wow.
Pages: 1 [2]