Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why number of sites explodes in only 20/30 years....?  (Read 2055 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Why number of sites explodes in only 20/30 years....?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 09:01:46 am »

It's not listed on DF2014:Titan, so what page did you visit?

I don't even remember.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 09:56:16 am »

So, my current test :

- Changing MAXAGE of gobs and elves (by adding one with about 150 years of life (for gobs) and more for elves) -> doesn't seem to change explosion of sites, at least not in a visible way.
- Surprinsingly, i can confirm that the more there are site on map, the less there are site conquiered by one or an other... which create a very static world gen. I guess (but if you can confirm ...) that if your informations in your previous answers are right, that sharing pops between multiple hilllock and other villages with them and the main montainhome, town etc... made very resilient all the places, right ? Or i miss something else ?
- Adding ORIENTATION to made gobs and elves 50% assexual has none special visible effect ...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 10:06:31 am »

So, my current test :

- Changing MAXAGE of gobs and elves (by adding one with about 150 years of life (for gobs) and more for elves) -> doesn't seem to change explosion of sites, at least not in a visible way.
- Surprinsingly, i can confirm that the more there are site on map, the less there are site conquiered by one or an other... which create a very static world gen. I guess (but if you can confirm ...) that if your informations in your previous answers are right, that sharing pops between multiple hilllock and other villages with them and the main montainhome, town etc... made very resilient all the places, right ? Or i miss something else ?
- Adding ORIENTATION to made gobs and elves 50% assexual has none special visible effect ...

Aren't goblins and elves immortal already?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 10:25:52 am »

Yeah, i have HADED a MAXAGE to make them NOT immortal :p
Because immortality just help them to explode theirs population as no generation dies.

But well, it didn't seems to have a visible effect on site creation ...

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 11:00:34 am »

New experiment currently running and it seems that upgrading the number of beast/megabeast/curse REALLY limitate the explosion of sites. It could be a good parameter to play with to find a good balance ...

An other question : what make civs declare whar to each other ? It seems that sometime gobs and humans just ignore themselves, or gobs and dwarf ... strange no ?
How to maximize the chance of them making war to each other ? Currently i have dwarves with ethics parameter that should prevent them to be good friend with human buuuut ... it kept happening that way ...

Question related : did necromant make war to their own civs ? When i check from the neighbours menu of a created world, tower from an hostile civs (gobelins, yes i have gobelins tower due to my digging in the towers system on an other topic) are at WAR with me, but it's not the case of towers from a non hostile civs (dwarves, human).
This system should maybe prevent the attack from other civs to their necromant and vice-versa.

If it is not the case we should observe depopulation and site destroyed near towers, and this is absolutly not the case right ? Did i miss something ?

Other question : what decide a population to destroy or conquer site ? Is it hardcoded ?

Other other question : Are "active season" a parameter that play role during worldgen ? Does it mean that making active for all season all races will generalize WAR ?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:13:38 pm by Nilsou »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 05:38:34 pm »

War determination is probably somewhat random. However, if busy with one war, it doesn't make sense to start another you can't proceed with due to being occupied.

Necros do not belong to any civs anymore, and they're hostile to everyone. I've had necros getting wiped out really quickly as a result of getting into war with 6 civs more or less immediately at start of play.
Necros aren't very effective at depopulating sites (if they were, you'd get enormous necro armies...).

Destruction/conquest is not hard coded, but I don't know what the criteria are. There's probably a random element involved.

Active season is probably a fortress thing only. In the last FotF reply Toady mentioned that he's doing away with active seasons for war in the next release, so presumably that parameter will only affect trade, while all seasons are open for war (whether this also means sieges can occur in the middle of seasons as opposed to the current beginning remains to be seen: I'd guess the beginning behavior will remain as changing that is a larger change than just allow all seasons for everyone).

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 05:42:25 pm »

Well, just to report my few testing.

I am pretty sure now that [ORIENTATION] is useless to regulate population during worldgen.
My tests shows that ORIENTATION seems to affect only Historical Figures and so, all historical figures make no babies with my modification (or are gay) but it change nothing (or very little) on the other population that keep making babies ^^.

It surely have to be checked again but two thing :

- The wiki is wrong and have always be on that point.
- Or it's a bug which should be reported ...

One solution could be to make all citizen historical figures, but how to do so ...?

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 05:44:18 pm »

Necros do not belong to any civs anymore, and they're hostile to everyone. I've had necros getting wiped out really quickly as a result of getting into war with 6 civs more or less immediately at start of play.
Necros aren't very effective at depopulating sites (if they were, you'd get enormous necro armies...).
But is this logics ? In previous answers it's clear that war happen in a kind of duelist line of battle, one by one. And necros are HUGELY GOOD in one by one against any civs. It should depopulate any outpost near them very quickly ...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 05:55:02 pm »

That's pretty long though. Humans have 80-100, and manage to explode as well.

Oh, given how fast they hit maximum pop in a site, I doubt it would.

I was going to say "try 99+%" asexual, but you beat me.

An other question : what make civs declare whar to each other ? It seems that sometime gobs and humans just ignore themselves, or gobs and dwarf ... strange no ?
Civ leaders also play a part (can never have war in thousands of years or can have war in 12). I think it is more likely if they compete over same territory and are closer together.

Longer answer here: Worldgen Wars: What causes them?

Unless you're speaking about dwarves: Dwarves are Losers (Worldgen Science)

did necromant make war to their own civs ?
Necromancer towers are kind of weird:
They're never attacked or never attack during worldgen,

but post-worldgen they do attack sites around. This hurts the towers more than what they attack, really, though they do occassionally manage to take over a site. So you can have goblin forest retreats when no dark pits and retreats should be close enough to each other for elves and goblins to meet.

what decide a population to destroy or conquer site ? Is it hardcoded ?

TheFlame52 has researched this: The Ultimate Conquerers - A Science Thread (SUCCESS!)

Short answer: Personality of their leaders.

Unrelated, but also worth noting: Giving everyone natural skill in discipline results in huge armies.

Other other question : Are "active season" a parameter that play role during worldgen ? Does it mean that making active for all season all races will generalize WAR ?
Dunno. I've paid attention to mostly goblin on dwarven wars this year, so can't tell you. Easy one to test, though.

But is this logics ? In previous answers it's clear that war happen in a kind of duelist line of battle, one by one. And necros are HUGELY GOOD in one by one against any civs. It should depopulate any outpost near them very quickly ...
Zombies are kinda bad at fighting, and necros don't have any natural skill .

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 09:13:55 pm »

Thanks for your answer.
For personnality traits of leaders, does this mean that tunning the general personnaity of a faction should permit a full destructive race behavior ?

For undead and towers, i was talking about undead, and specefically about armed undead which are pretty usual during fortress battle and very difficult to kill (i often capture one or two to release them on gobs, I can assure you that there are better than one gobs fully armed).

For ORIENTATION tag, i was digging on other topics and can assure now that this is not taken to simulate non historical figure (and its taken for hist fig so it simply make all hist fig assexual XD, with a LOT of histfig permited it could slow down the explosion, but just a bit). Though, i think the [pop ratio] of each caste could play the role as it seems to be taken in account for both, i will test it soon.

Beside, i have opened a suggestion topic to clarify these point and suggest that this could be fine (and simply done) to make hist fig processing of birth (aka fortress mode processing of birth, same one it seems) more close to the nameless population simulation. It should be quite easy to remove assexual percent of the pops and "homexual only" to the "pops" of population.

I have found no clear way to transform all the population in historical figure, i thought this should be possible through some tage like [MEGABEAST] but it's not in civ case.
I think of a last experiment : making useless noble necessary in HUGE number. As noble seems to be substracted to the pops, it should permit to nullify pops and transform it into full pops of historical figures.

It could lead to very long generation of history, but also be more logical on a lot of stuff, worth a try i think.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 09:43:55 pm »

For personnality traits of leaders, does this mean that tunning the general personnaity of a faction should permit a full destructive race behavior ?
Maybe, but destroyed sites might still be reclaimed/settled by someone (else).

I have found no clear way to transform all the population in historical figure, i thought this should be possible through some tage like [MEGABEAST] but it's not in civ case.
Have you tried setting CULL_UNIMPORTANT_HISTORICAL_FIGURES in worldgen settings to false?

The noble idea is interesting as well.

Nilsou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 11:18:22 am »

Yes of course, i work with this parameter since the begenning, but it does not do the tricks, even with A LOT of historical figures, it is sufficient to have some dude that are not to breed...
I am not even sure that this slow done the process ... i guess so, but not with certainty...

Pages: 1 [2]