Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Symbols.xml not working  (Read 2482 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Symbols.xml not working
« on: August 16, 2017, 12:44:22 am »

I just installed dfhack on my surface 2 running windows 10 and this happens

but the game runs fine but dfhack doesn't start up
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Symbols.xml not working
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 06:28:09 pm »

1. Wrong forum - this belongs in "Utilities and 3rd Party Applications"
2. The error states that it failed to open the file, which means you failed to follow the DFHack installation instructions correctly.

[edit]

To clarify, your Dwarf Fortress installation directory should contain a subdirectory named "hack", and symbols.xml should be in there (along with "lua", "plugins", "raw", "ruby", and "scripts" directories). If it does contain those, then post in the DFHack thread (in the above-mentioned subforum), because you might have encountered some sort of bizarre bug.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:25:31 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:10:15 pm »

1 Oh I'm an idiot I had a feeling there was a forums to that :-X
2 Well I followed the instructions exactly copied the ell and made a spare ell file but it won't boot up I have used both versions of drab I 43.05 -r 1 and -r 2 but it won't work
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:30:06 pm »

1 Oh I'm an idiot I had a feeling there was a forums to that :-X
2 Well I followed the instructions exactly copied the ell and made a spare ell file but it won't boot up I have used both versions of drab I 43.05 -r 1 and -r 2 but it won't work
All you have to do is drop the files into your DF folder and click ok once to overwrite the sdl file (a spare of the original is included). There's no copying or backing-up involved.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 08:18:08 pm »

Oh ok! I still have no idea what the problem is. There might be compatibility issues because it works fine on my home computer running windows 7

Obsidian 1053

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 09:08:30 pm »

Oh ok! I still have no idea what the problem is. There might be compatibility issues because it works fine on my home computer running windows 7
A screenshot of your Dwarf Fortress installation directory would help identify your problem.

Also, there shouldn't be any "compatibility issues" - as long as you follow the instructions correctly, it should work 100% correctly.

What exact steps did you perform when installing DFHack?
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 11:42:23 pm »

Step 1 download
Step 2 extract dfhack into dwarf folder
Step 3 replace dll files
Step 4 run game

This is what I did for my desktop game which worked with these four steps. So I don't know what happened.

Obsidian 1053

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 08:11:07 am »

Is there a symbols.xml file in the hack folder in your DF folder?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 02:44:00 pm »

Oui.

Obsidian 1053

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 04:25:37 pm »

Can you open it? Did you install DFHack as the same user that you're running it as?

Your DF folder structure should look something like this (with extra files, of course). Can you verify this?
Code: [Select]
Dwarf Fortress.exe
SDL.dll
SDLreal.dll
hack
    symbols.xml
    plugins

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 08:56:59 pm »

Yes just with the symbols.xml and plugins in reverse order.

Obsidian 1053

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 10:01:17 pm »

All right, but what about these?
Can you open it? Did you install DFHack as the same user that you're running it as?
("it" being symbols.xml - i.e. is it possible for you to open symbols.xml in some text editor?)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 03:38:22 am »

Yes I can see it in a text editor I will upload it tomorrow

Obsidian 1053

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 04:05:52 pm »

How are you launching Dwarf Fortress? Are you double-clicking "Dwarf Fortress.exe" directly, or are you opening it from a shortcut?

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 08:58:15 pm »

I'm opening it directly

Obsidian 1053

Pages: [1] 2