Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expedition squads in Fortress Mode  (Read 1100 times)

FlareStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Expedition squads in Fortress Mode
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:33:37 am »

To me, it seems kinda wrong, that in huge, HUUUGE world filled with nations, civilizations, buildings, and etc. you are able to act only on tiny-tiny fragment of it. You have a chunk, you are able to build something on that chunk, but you can't go further - neither camera would go farther than some tiles from the center, nor your dwarves will explore.

And then I came to an idea. Dwarven expedition and scout squads, which will allow you to explore the world, find towns and structures for interacting, and found new fortresses on the world. You send them to any point of the map (and hope that they will survive) via a special menu.

How's that?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expedition squads in Fortress Mode
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 08:53:46 am »

Isn't that what fortress mode is?

Or do you mean, after becoming the mountainhome, having the option to send groups to reclaim or found new fortresses while you continue to play in the original?
Might be kind of interesting. Perhaps after interaction with the local populations is introduced. Could you expand a bit on what the point would be?

Because your civ does it without you anyhow if you want a hands-off approach. And if you want to do it yourself, you just retire and do so.

(Also Interacting with other sites, via a fortress mode map and squads is being introduced in the upcoming release, at least as far as stealing their stuff and rescuing kidnapped children).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:01:57 am by Shonai_Dweller »

FlareStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:07:57 am »

having the option to send groups to reclaim or found new fortresses while you continue to play in the original?

This.

And also, I want to lay sieges myself, as well as send caravans, make diplomatic agreements, wage wars and so on.

I have an elven settlement near me. I want to burn them all down and enslave their children. I can't do that. I can't lay siege on their home. I cry.

I have a necromancer tower pretty far away from me. I want to demolish it, or at least kill their master. I can't do that. I can't attack the tower. I cry.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:10:25 am by FlareStar »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:14:41 am »

having the option to send groups to reclaim or found new fortresses while you continue to play in the original?

This.

And also, I want to lay sieges myself, as well as send caravans, make diplomatic agreements, wage wars and so on.

I have an elven settlement near me. I want to burn them all down and enslave their children. I can't do that. I can't lay siege on their home. I cry.

I have a necromancer tower pretty far away from me. I want to demolish it, or at least kill their master. I can't do that. I can't attack the tower. I cry.
For that you'll have to wait until armies are introduced. Have you read the dev notes? You're basically suggesting things which are already planned.

Dwarf Fortress isn't a complete game. The stuff you can't do yet is stuff which hasn't been reached yet in the development. No need to suggest this stuff. Suggest specific details on how it could be implemented, sure.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:16:39 am by Shonai_Dweller »