Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change gender and name of starting dwarves  (Read 1482 times)

FlareStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Change gender and name of starting dwarves
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:11:57 pm »

How can I do this? The all I can do in embarking menu is to customize nicknames and profession names. But how do I change the name and gender of starting dwarves?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Change gender and name of starting dwarves
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 03:38:56 am »

There are three ways (the first two require use of DFHack):
1. Use gui/gm-editor to change it.
2. Write a DFHack script that allows you to do that (unless one already exists).
3. Back out and re-embark. You'll get a new set of dorfs. The names and genders are still random, though, but a new set.

Note that names in DF is a complex thing as the last name is composed of linguistic parts (in a similar vein as the name of your fortress or your tavern), so it's not just a matter of replacing strings.
Thus, if you want last names that can not exist in DF you have to first add to the language raws, and possibly some glue raws as well. If you want names that break the naming rules DF uses you'll have to fool DF by telling it that the strings you provide are something else than they are in reality (and you'll probably end up with DF generated dorfs with names composed in the normal ways using these parts).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Change gender and name of starting dwarves
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 01:06:34 pm »

I prefer reloading, it makes it much better when you get that perfectly-named-with-stats dwarf you want.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0