Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help and Advice on finding a job as a Programmer  (Read 1347 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Help and Advice on finding a job as a Programmer
« on: August 16, 2017, 11:49:39 pm »

Background info:
While living in Michigan:
I went to a "technical education center" for half the day of my last year of high school and learned VB.net
   Received ACT Workkeys Gold Level Career Readiness Certificate   <--no clue if this means anything
I got an associates degree as a "CIT Developer"
   During the degree I learned C#, HTML, CSS, Javascript, SQL, some server stuff, and Basic computer maintenance
   Introduced to Object Oriented Programming and a number of other concepts
   Got 4 Microsoft Technology Associate Certificates which probably are out of date by now
      Networking Fundamentals
      Database Fundamentals
      Web Development Fundamentals (C#)
      HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals
   Because of nowhere good in the area I had an internship at the college itself
Worked at a number of part time/seasonal jobs which had nothing to do with tech

Moved to Lancaster Pennsylvania:
Until recently I have been going for a CS Bachelor Degree and have 92 of 120 credits
   Mostly learned Java and didn't get anything else new I hadn't already learned

Place Independent:
On my own I have learned a number of things
   Python, C/C++, the Entity Component System framework, A whole lot of random things from blogs, podcasts, and such
Also completed a couple 7drls
While not related to Programming I run my own YouTube channel with a lot of roguelikes and DF videos

Now you might notice the "Until recently" part there. A large part of my expenses were being covered by my grandparents. Sadly my grandfather has dementia. It has gotten to the point where my Grandmother can't manage it alone and so they will be moving into one of those assisted living apartments. The place they will be moving into while providing the help my Grandmother needs to take care of my Grandfather does not allow them to be supporting anyone else. Ergo I can't continue my degree at this point and actually can't even really afford my apartment.

For the last month or so I have been trying to find a job. I haven't had any luck and I suspect at this point I either have once again chosen a bad place to live with my specific skill set or I haven't been searching right. I have used a number of job search websites like Glassdoor, Monster, and Dice as well as Googles convenient job search that checks a lot of those places which for some reason they seem to hide. With my current expenses to just live were I am needs a job earning me $15/h. This, if I could find a job, doesn't seem like it would be a problem as similar jobs which I sadly do not qualify for in the least bit or are too far away (3 hours or more one way just doesn't work) yet seem made for me pay decently.  I technically could move but at the moment am trying not to move, or at least not too far, as my Mother lives right nearby and is my only remaining viable support. Now I have come here for help because it is getting close to the point were my Grandparents move into the apartment and honestly I trust people on the Bay12 forums more than I probably should (that and I haven't really revealed anything that isn't already available with enough searching). Now if you have any general help for me please feel free to say it though below this I will have a few questions.

• I have searched for many combinations of developer, programmer, junior, and [specific language]. Am I missing some terms I should be using?
  • Should I give up on trying to not move and just open my range up?
  • Should I really go for a programming job or should I open up to general tech jobs
  • If I open up to general tech jobs which ones should I look for?
  • Is there anything specific I should learn right now (such as a language or library) to help in my job search?
  • What sort of 'requirements' can I ignore and apply for a job anyway? I am already looking at jobs requiring a Bachelors degree but are there other ones?
  • Should I try for some kind of remote job? I haven't looked as I honestly would like an in-person job.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help and Advice on finding a job as a Programmer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:27:53 am »

If you do get a general tech job, you may look for tech support or QA stuff. Typically, getting an internal promotion from a non-development job to a development job will be easier than from outside the company.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 03:23:27 pm »

Have you looked into a web development?

I know not all stats are hot places for new jobs.
But web dev can be done from anywhere.
You just need to build a portfolio.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 04:00:29 pm »

You know I actually specifically chose the 'not web dev' path of learning? My community college had a programming course, a web dev course, and an IT security course. At this point though I feel that was a mistake. Admittedly I love what I have done but it isn't helping me right now.

I am willing to try most things at this point so were do I start? I have technically built a webpage but I don't know much more.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 07:41:03 pm »

Ask at your college.  They might be able to get you aid or network for you.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 10:26:17 am »

If you can write apps you can easily find work.

Seeing as you have an extensive background in computer programming related stuff it shouldn't be that hard for you to learn the few things to make stuff work on phones.

Hell you can even make your own app but that will take a long time (which it sounds like you don't currently have).

If you can make basic websites you can always go try and sell your services to local businesses.

Also lots of med sized companies employ a couple tech people at least, just that those positions are usually kept long term.

Anyways good luck
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

Jairl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 05:45:01 pm »

To be brutally honest, no one is really hiring programmers. I know that may seem like a strange statement in todays technological society... but it is never-the-less a true statement.

In these days, you can understand absolutely nothing about what you're doing or how your code works... just so long as it gets an acceptable output. There is a large push from industry for rapid prototyping and rapid development. Often, official release code ends up being no different from the proof of concept code... with all the bugs and problems that creates.

The people that get hired these days are more likely to simply google a solution and use the first result they find than to actually know or think about what they're doing. These people are cheaper than real programmers AND are less likely to become concerned about important things like architecture or frameworks... they'll just glue a bunch of code together and deliver a product that kind of works.... but can be sold for immediate profit!

What I am trying to indicate is that the market is really quite saturated by people who don't have a single degree or have any amount of understanding of what they're doing that call themselves programmers... but are willing to work for pennies.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:48:19 pm »

That is disappointing to hear though important to know. It doesn't however give any real solution though it might just be one of those things that doesn't have one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 03:39:24 pm »

I'm going to disagree with Jairl.

It's highly dependent on where you're at. I'm in Nebraska and there are so many tech start ups here I can't count them all. I work for a self-started software company. We have a building we rent out as work space and have pulled in.....like 4 new tech start ups in the last 6 months? At least?

Lots of new businesses are starting and they want new programmers mostly because they can't afford to hire the creme de la creme, and they need asses in seats to get started. So they're snapping up entry level programmers where they can. We sourced some programmers from the college in town, we hold tech fairs and tech events. I personally hate networking but I see it all around me where I'm at.

Suit and tie programming jobs may be hard to come by. But I think if you look at the independent start up community you might find something to at least pay the bills and get some experience.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 04:21:12 pm »

Location can matter, but you can also get lucky and find a telecommute job. I use Dice.com for all my tech job hunting and it works well.

There are also some sites out there that do freelance coding jobs. You could see about those. Even getting one short contract to program a thing can be a huge boost to your resume.

I will also echo the advice that QA can be a good place to start out. It gets you into a company and gives you valuable code trouble-shooting skills that help out a lot when doing your own programming. I've seen quite a few QA people move into Dev positions over the years.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Avarice

• Bay Watcher
  • ××××××××
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 01:35:52 am »

Totally irrelevant.. but Helmacon why are you still a Quilava?
You should evolve already! Learn rollout and bloody evolve  :P
*Starts shoving rare candys in mouth*
××××××××××××××××××