Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29

Author Topic: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread  (Read 48103 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
River of Lost Souls: IC Thread
« on: August 17, 2017, 04:19:37 am »

OOC Thread

Six souls have now entered the realm of the living, their final fates yet to be decided.

HighEndNoob (Gaius/Gai) (IVDf VIPw IIIPc IIIWt)

The torches of a blazing city surround you. Lambent flames of many colors--bright, callow shades of blue, empyreal greens, grisly reds, and radiant yellows--all coalescing into a garish image of streets flooded with people fleeing the slaughter.

Except that doesn't seem to be the case.

The blood staining your garb seemed all but a forgotten dream. Lying prostrate, you find that the people of the city are not running at all, but carrying on with their daily lives. The sky is thick with heavy rain, fearsome iron horses race past, splashing water into your face, and the smell of warm food fills your nostrils.

Ozarck (Di/Hamada) (4Df 3Pw 7Pc 2Wt)

You woke up slumped on a bench, drenched in rain, armed with a knife clasped firmly in one fist, hands and clothes tainted with that familiar shade of red.

Dark, lonely bushes surround you in this solitary lakeside abode, and a stone fountain depicting a bowman stares in your direction, passing judgement without so much as an expression to his face. But this is no silent forest that you are used to. The sky is ablaze with reflections of faraway lights, and huge stone structures lined with glowing windows surround you on all sides, not a long walk away.

Neoexdeath (Gunnulf/Shin) (2Df 2Pw 5Pc 7Wt)

You find yourself surrounded by darkness in a small, claustrophobic chamber filled with clothes. The door is made of wooden panels and slides open easily, revealing a cramped room on the other side with a mat taking up half the floorspace and a desk with a chair taking up the other. Metal contraptions cover the desk, and a window displays a city on fire. Or rather, alight with scores of windows. It's something on a scale you've never seen before.

You find stacks of books scattered on the floor, intermingled with spiral notebooks covered in scribbles that you can intuitively glean the meaning of, even though you've never seen this language in your studies. Did you write this at some point? The room is unfamiliar.

Sir Elventide (Giovanna/Nagisa) (3Df 3Pw 4Pc 6Wt)

The gentle tapping of rain woke you to your senses in an unfamiliar new location. An unlit room with paper walls, a bamboo floor, and wooden screen doors. A ghastly stain surrounds a bucket in the middle of the room, surrounded by bottles marked with deadly warnings. Somehow, the symbols and markings each have an attached meaning to them, though you can hardly remember seeing this script.

You find on a small table a rod with a zigzagging paper trail, set aside and forgotten.

Wunderkatze (Ryzard/Mitsuru) (0Df 7Pw 4Pc 5Wt)

You wake up from a stupor surrounded by cans marked with oddly-decorative text. A warm glow emanates from storefronts on either side, and rain splashes on the pavement on all sides. Except, as it seems, directly on you, although your clothes are drenched.

Looking up, before your senses have been totally returned, you notice an umbrella floating over your head. At its handle is a hand, with a long black sleeve extending from the side.

killerhellhound (Lanfrank/Fuji) (5Df 4Pw 3Pc 4Wt)

You wake up to the smell of smoke and sulfur. Rain pours down on all sides, splattering against the stone floor below. To your surroundings are strange metal boxes surrounded by chain-linked fences, and a solid stone wall surrounds the outdoor space on all sides. You seem to be on a large tower of sorts.

Your left hand holds a back made of black fabric filled to the brim with soggy papers and books. Your other hand holds some strange metal tool with a narrow tube on one end and a leather grip that's bent to one side. It has a trigger like a crossbow's, but much smaller.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:31:23 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
Re: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 05:37:59 am »

What the hell is going on? Oh god damn this cold I can figure out where I am later.

Put the gripped piece of metal in the bag and close it. Find some where to get out of the rain. If that requires climbing look for a ladder or some other safe way of getting around in the wet.
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:54:04 am »

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
What is this place? What is this? What am I doing here?

Makiko looks around wildly to see if there are people or other threats visible. She also looks for a place to hide, and examines her bloodstained hands and clothes. She looks around to see if there is more blood nearby.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 12:57:15 pm »

"What?! Where am I? What is this place?" Nagisa wondered as she frantically glanced around the room. Her eyes adjusting to the darkness, she could make out what appeared to be a bucket surrounding by bottles, or at least she somehow knew they were buckets and bottles. Markings that she somehow knew to be warnings dotted their surfaces and the containers were sitting in a puddle of foul smelling liquid. Noticing the rod laying on the table, she went over and picked it up. Feeling slightly more safe, Nagisa tightened her grip on the makeshift weapon and decided what to do next:

Correctly identify the contents of the bucket and bottles. After that, determine whether there are people outside the room by listening through the walls.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 03:48:07 pm by Sir Elventide »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:50:03 pm »

Mitsuru's eyes strain to read the text reflexively, but then she turns to confront the more pressing concern, this big ugly intrusive sleeve. She pushes it away until she is again a victim of the rain.

"Have you no respect-" She pauses at the sound of her own voice.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:39:49 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 09:19:40 pm »

What in the world? This is about as far from Ravenna as you can get. And where is that food from? it feels like I haven't eaten in centuries.

Stand up and look around the immediate area. Try to see where the smell of food is coming from.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 03:16:14 am »

((Sorry Neoexdeath. :( I'll edit your action into this post as soon as I get it))

Your gaze follows your nose. To your left is a gargantuan plaza between eight large buildings, filled with miniature houses and stands made of wood. Many of them are equipped with pots and raised stoves, cooking some kind of food, long strings of a pale yellow color mixed in a pot with various spices and herbs.

The smell makes your mouth water. It turns out that the nearest stand is unattended, though a fresh batch of cooked food is ready in a pot.

It's hard to tell if there's anyone nearby because of the rain. You take a closer look at your hands and clothes. There's something unfamiliar about them. Your calluses are gone, and you're dressed like some kind of upperclasswoman.
You verify that you're not the one that's bleeding, and look around to find the true source.

There's no trail. It surrounds you and only you. There's some blood on the bench, too. The nearby bushes are clean, and you don't see any body in the water of the pond nearby.

On the shore, however, you notice a pair of figures ambling in the fog. One of them holds a crate, the other seems to have set his down, and has something in his hand which he put to his ear.

(Skipped)

Somehow, the branding on the packages seems familiar to you. They're both something you'd use to clean up a mess. Inside the bucket is a pool of foul-smelling liquid, though the mess on the floor is light in color.

Keeping the wooden stick by your side, you tiptoe over to the edge of the thin wall and try to listen for footsteps over the sound of the rain. Suddenly lightning catches you off guard and you back away reflexively.
It seems as if the coast is clear outside. You look out the window and establish that your're in a small house on a hill, surrounded by trees. In the distance, garganguan buildings with hundreds of windows stare back at you.

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

You clasp your hand around the intruding sleeve, and force it back. It only gives a little, and as you ponder the unnatural pitch of your voice as well as the present circumstance, you can't help but take a subtle look at the guy holding the umbrella.

His head is turned away. "Uh," he stammers nervously, "Aren't you, erm, cold?"

There is a covered stairway on the battlement. Water follows you through as you shut the door behind you, as you notice muddy footsteps already present on the stairs. The rain is muffled inside, and you can clearly hear.

Looking back, it seems your shoes are muddy. You left a few tracks that look suspiciously similar to those on the stairs.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:31:16 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 04:48:53 am »

Try to clean my boots off and do my best to dry myself. Then take a look through the bag can I read the papers? What do they say?
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 06:46:31 am »

How far from Makiko are the two figures in the mist? IF they are, for instance, across the lake/pond, Makiko will remain still and quiet, perhaps slumping down on the bench to disappear in the mist. If they are nearer, Makiko will attempt to quietly leave in the opposite direction.

Either way, Makiko will also look at the knife she awoke with, and will try to hide it on her person somewhere. Did she notice any holes in her clothing that weren't supposed to be there? like cuts or tears?

Spoiler: Hamada Makiko (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 10:49:09 am »

Deducting the bucket and bottles to contain cleaning fluids, Nagisa gave her makeshift weapon a few practice swings and noted its lightness and speed. This rod will prove useful at striking any enemy before they could react. Slipping the rod through her belt, Nagisa paused as she gave herself a glance over. She realized that she was wearing a strange blouse and what could be described as a pair of close-fitting blue pantaloons made of a rough material. Her black shoes reflected what little light came from the strange, many windowed towers in the distance.

"What's going-" Nagisa spoke before pausing at the strange sound of her voice. Trembling, Nagisa decided the leave the room and:

Locate a mirror as well as any other useful objects inside the house. Also, determine whether the house is actually empty. Just because the coast is clear doesn't mean that no one is in the other rooms

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 05:45:49 pm »

"Well, now that you mention it, yes." She says through clenched teeth, her arms around her gut tightly, she is cold. And wet.

Mitsuru spies the writing around, Is this japan? This doesn't look like modern Japan.

Check my pockets and body for items, what are those cans? And is there anywhere to buy a knife? Also I need to find a paper to read the dates.

"Maybe I was being rude." Mitsuru says shyly, welcoming back the Umbrella. "Can you give me directions to the library?"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 08:18:17 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 05:53:40 pm »

So tempting, but I don't think the people here would appreciate theft.

Search around the area/my person for notable items, especially anything resembling currency.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 10:25:20 pm »

((Still haven't received a PM response from Neoexdeath))

You first check your pockets, and find some sort of glass tablet with no markings. You also have a leather pocket with a name, address, and face on a card inside of it, as well as several useless pieces of paper and some shiny coins with foreign numeral on them.

You translate the numerals to:
IV coins marked 'I'
III coins marked 'V'
I coin marked 'X'
I coin marked 'L'
III coins marked 'C'
IV coins marked 'D'

Overall the total value adds up to MMCDLXXIX.

One snack appears to cost CCL

Your clothes, though bloody, don't seem to have any holes. So far there is no clear evidence of the blood's origins.

The pond itself seems anywhere from a few hundred meters across. Those figures are much closer than that, directly to your right as you overlook the pond. You retreat from the lakeside bench, hoping your silhouette blends in with the misty trees as you catch one last glimpse of the figures, tossing the crates into the lake, before you enter some other region of the park.

Still hidden in the bushes, you're briefly dazed by a flash of light. Up ahead is a large facade made up of boulders, and at the top is a guard rail. Behind the rail is a sort of simplistic metal carriage, but the animal is missing, and there are two people standing atop it. One's reclining with his back faced toward the edge (and you), the other has some kind of bright lantern in his hand, shining beams white as moonlight over the park.

(Skipped)

The house is humble, but there's two extra rooms. The first has another, smaller window, and there is a table built into the wall that wraps around three quarters of the room. It's filled with glinting pots and pans, and there are cold metal boxes with lots of food inside, as well as cabinets with tea and spices among other things.

In the process of entering the second room, your clothes snag on a protrusion from the wall, and suddenly the room becomes lit as bright as day.
As your eyes adjust, you find a mirror, a sink, and various items scattered about such as combs and brushes, made of a smooth, polished material like wood, except featureless and brightly colored.

You look into the mirror and find an unfamiliar face. You seem to have grown somewhat taller since you were last on this earth. Your hair is now an odd color, and your face is completely different.

The cans are beer. Sure smells like it. It came from a vending machine around the corner. You're not sure how you know that, but it is what it is.

"...Sure," he manages to say without making eye contact. "Are you new to Tokyo?" he asks, staring at the people on the opposite sidewalk.

Something's off about the cars on the street. They're awfully... quiet.

Cleaning your boots would depend on whatever you decide to sacrifice to wipe it off. You get as much as you can by rubbing it on the stone floor.

You take the papers out and look at them.

Well, by God's grace! You've learned to read! Doesn't look like Latin, though. Either way, it's highly unlikely you wrote this yourself, but it has the same name on it as the card in your pocket.

Let's see... mathematics... poetry... physic... it appears whoever owned this bag was quite a natural prodigy.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:28:06 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 10:31:37 pm »

Vending machine?

Check my pockets and body for items. Do I see anywhere to buy a knife? Find a paper to read the dates. Except harder this time, because it didn't work last time.

"Hello, library?" Mitsuru says.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:48:04 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 10:37:39 pm »

Whomever owned these items certainly had an interest in useless doodads.

Take 2 C coins ad an L coin and buy one of the food I smell, while taking in more of the plaza.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29